Album Vintage Outdoors Photos

Why not? September 1, 2016, 5 am, I left the upper east side of Texas. Before dark I checked in at Cimarron Canyon State Park. It felt good to be back in the mountains after too long an absence.
Do you reckon that Santa Fe over 50 Outdoors has an Over 70 branch?
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well 70 is over 50 so I reckon you can be a member. I have some over 70's now.

Wait. This is a real organization? Cool.
How do I join?
Wayne

Wait. This is a real organization? Cool.
How do I join?
Wayne

Just go to the website and there should be a widget for you to join. You will have to answer a couple of questions. The one about having to do one trip a year is bogus.

I forgot to mention you have to join Meet Up first...free.
I'm going to sign up if its ok with you. I've already got plans for my hiking trips next year so its very likely I wouldn't show up for anything next year, but I would like to know about them. I'll try to do something in 2018.

I just wanted to give you a word of thanks and commendation. I've planned all of the trips I've gone on for the last 10 to 15 years and have introduced several people to backpacking and I know know whats involved in organizing a trip involving other people and how tough that can be. I also know what a roll of the dice it is in going hiking with someone who's abilities are unknown. Sometimes its marvelous and you make a friend for life and sometimes you have someone along who has no business in being out there and they make it difficult or even dangerous for everyone. Its a lot of responsibility. I'm appreciating your doing this. Very commendable. Thank you!

I'm going to sign up if its ok with you. I've already got plans for my hiking trips next year so its very likely I wouldn't show up for anything next year, but I would like to know about them. I'll try to do something in 2018.

I just wanted to give you a word of thanks and commendation. I've planned all of the trips I've gone on for the last 10 to 15 years and have introduced several people to backpacking and I know know whats involved in organizing a trip involving other people and how tough that can be. I also know what a roll of the dice it is in going hiking with someone who's abilities are unknown. Sometimes its marvelous and you make a friend for life and sometimes you have someone along who has no business in being out there and they make it difficult or even dangerous for everyone. Its a lot of responsibility. I'm appreciating your doing this. Very commendable. Thank you!

Thanks very much! Nice to know someone appreciates what it takes.

Grand Teton, I think 1977 or 78, we were camped along Cascade Creek (?) and hiked up the hill to this spot. We started the hike up Death Canyon, over Alaska Basin and then down Cascade Creek. Saw bears, nearly got stepped on by a moose. This was our first view of the Grand Teton as it rained and snowed on us the whole trip, in early September. Then we headed south for Coyote Gulch to get warm.

I0000I8IBi.84_54.jpg

I think this was on our way over the Alaska Basin.

I0000zRxV4B0Acio.jpg

Stevens Arch in Coyote Gulch
from our campspot

I0000VeUiiSLvGcc.jpg

I've ended up being the keeper of my family's ancestral photos, and looking through them I was happy to find quite a few outdoors shots ... hiking is clearly in my genes.

Here's one of my favorite ones. My grandfather emigrated from Denmark in 1924, and ended up living in Ogden with cousins. When he arrived, one of the first things he did was hike to the top of Mount Ogden, which must have been pretty glorious for a guy who'd spent his entire life living in a country without mountains. That's him on the left, with his cousin:

pitamakan2015-01-24b.jpg