Album Vintage Outdoors Photos

Some really vintage shots, with varying degrees of damage. Photos from my maternal grandparents.

1923 Yellowstone Park
Northern Pacific Railway depot, Gardiner, MT
17029979576_0f01298e77_b.jpg

North Entrance, Gardiner, MT
16433564474_b6fbea358b_b.jpg

Mammoth Hots Springs camp
17054346102_45df84ac29_b.jpg

Mammoth Hot Springs
17054329862_83430901ab_b.jpg

Norris Geyser Basin
16435764343_09bbccef75_b.jpg

Grand and great grandparents, probably also Norris but don't recall the buildings
16433549684_5cc30b01b3_b.jpg

Old Faithful Inn, including one White bus.
17055900355_ebb5798e9c_b.jpg

Old Faithful Geyser
16869626139_bfe0423ff3_b.jpg

Daisy Geyser
16868096828_7346efef7f_b.jpg

Grotto Geyser
17054395472_f276bf400b_b.jpg

"Keplor Cascades"
16848545567_25aa466f8a_b.jpg

And a couple from 1936 or 1937, Castle Rock Campground, Gallatin Canyon south of Bozeman
16868478060_186c49045e_b.jpg

17055225351_8eef6d2d7e_b.jpg

Somewhat related to this thread. Does anyone have any experience shooting with vintage cameras? Like as in getting the right film and troubleshooting them to work? Is it even worth the effort? My wife has a small collection of vintage cameras handed down through the family including her grandfather's speed graphic from when he was an photographer for the Army during WWII, a few old brownie box cameras and a few others from I think the 30's or so. I always thought it would be cool to get them working but I'm guessing it'd be a longshot after being dormant for so long.

What model Speed Graphic is it? Most of them used 4x5, 2-1/4x3-1/4 or 3-1/4x4-1/4 film. There are no moving parts per se, other than the shutter. So you can take or send it (just the lens/shutter) to a reputable camera guy to have the shutter calibrated, most likely it might need cleaning, then it should work fine. It might work as it is. I know you can find film for it, and if you need some 4x5 film holders I would be more than happy to give you some. Depending on the lens, they will take magnificent photos.

Thanks @gnwatts. I don't know what model and not sure how I would identify it. Maybe I'll take your advice and call a few shops around here to see what they can do.

Also, be very careful with the leather bellows. It might be cracked, and will almost certainly have some pinholes in it, which is no bueno as it lets light in. A good resource:

http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/graphic-models.html

My maternal grand parents were continuously crossing the country in the late 20's to the early 50's. The unfortunate part is my grandmother was always having "focusing issues", so consequently a great majority of the shots are slightly out of focus. She also had problems with getting people's head into a portrait shot (lot's of neck down shots!) due to the rangefinder camera she used, an old Leica.

I0000fgWJ0dLI5DI.jpg

Mt. Shasta

I00007Nujx55DSoU.jpg

She was also into signs. I have no images of the frickin dam, but plenty of shots like this.

I0000uMS6QNCfdBQ.jpg

Redwood Highway, Ca

File0423.jpg
This was taken near the start of my first multi-day backpacking trip. During Thanksgiving break 1971 or 1972. Sandia mountains east of Albuquerque. I went alone on this without a map or any idea that there were trails or where I might find water. I'm appalled by my lack of planning back then. The only plan I had was to start in Tijeras Canyon and walk home which was in the far end of this mountain range.
File0422.jpg
This was from the same trip as the previous picture. It was taken on the back side of the highest point visible near the right edge of the previous picture. I didn't have a tent and I didn't know there was going to be snow or that it was going to be so damn cold. I did know that it would be windy. This part was pretty miserable.
File207.jpg
Island of Guam. 1975. I've been to a lot of places more beautiful - but I did like Guam.
File0012a.jpg
1976. Mahe Island, Republic of Seychelles. Just south of the equator in the Indian Ocean.

File0193A.jpg
1977. Luzon Island, Philippines. These steps were cut into the hillside by the Spanish around 1700.
File-0369.jpg
On Santa Fe Baldy. 1980 or 1981.

File0438.jpg
Somewhere between Santa Fe and Taos. 1980 or 1981. I don't backpack with a cowboy hat anymore.
img006.jpg
Lake Louise. 1980 or 1981.

IMG0007.jpg
In the Sandia Mountains 1980 or 1981.

Last edited:
Somewhat related to this thread. Does anyone have any experience shooting with vintage cameras? Like as in getting the right film and troubleshooting them to work? Is it even worth the effort? My wife has a small collection of vintage cameras handed down through the family including her grandfather's speed graphic from when he was an photographer for the Army during WWII, a few old brownie box cameras and a few others from I think the 30's or so. I always thought it would be cool to get them working but I'm guessing it'd be a longshot after being dormant for so long.

When digital cameras finally started taking off. I purchased a medium format RB67 camera off of ebay for dirt cheap along with many lenses. I also picked up a speed graphic for next to nothing. Until 2010, I used to haul one or the other of them into the Yellowstone backcountry with me. While the speed graphic was kind of hit and miss (actually more misses than hits), the RB67 took spectacular pictures. Age, unfortunately caught up with me and I'm not able to carry the weight on my trips anymore or I find that I've slowed down enough that I can't take the time to set up the camera multiple times (even once for that matter) and still get to my destination. Best damn pictures I've ever taken though. You need to break them out and see what they can do.

This is a great thread by the way. I love all of the old pictures everyone has posted.

RB67_01.jpg
RB67 - taking shots of Bison along the Mary Mountain Trail in Hayden Valley

RB67_02.jpg
Removing the camera from the tripod

RB67_03.jpg
Have just taken a picture of Mary Lake with the RB67 deep in the Yellowstone backcountry.

Speed_Graphic_01.jpg
Speed Graphic - taking a picture of Trail Lake in the Thorofare, Yellowstone

Speed_Graphic_02.jpg
Speed Graphic - Taking a picture looking down on Big Bear Lake, Yellowstone

Speed_Graphic_04.jpg
Looking down on Big Bear lake

Big_Bear_01.jpg
Shows location of the two 4X5 (Speed Graphic) shots taken on the ridges above Big Bear Lake.

What an awesome thread! Really enjoying this one, thanks all!

@scatman do you mind posting (or messaging me) an example of pictures you took on your vintage cameras, particularly the speed graphic?

July 4, 1976 between Dorothy Lake (Yosemite) and Kennedy Meadows. Tower Peak in the background on the right. Note the Keltys, canteens, 3/8 inch ensolite pads, and Sierra Club cups.Scan 1.jpeg

Last edited:
These got buried in the B&W thread. From my first ever backpacking trip.
Pentax 6x7, 105 mm f:2.5 lens. It was the only camera I owned at the time.
Somewhere in the vicinity of 7 Sisters Lakes and Fall Creek Pass in what would become the Holy Cross Wilderness, Colorado. Circa 1975. Kodak Plus-X, D-76 1:1 & Epson scanner.

Fall+Creek+Pass+Rocks+_amp_+Clouds-1.jpg

Fall+Creek+Pass+Marker-1.jpg

Colorado+Holy+Cross003-1.jpg

Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
From back in the day...
If I was still in NM I'd definitely be checking into "Santa Fe over 50 Outdoors". As it is, I have to travel for any backpacking trip I take. So, why not NM? Would "Santa Fe over 50 Outdoors" consider having a Nebraska member?

If I was still in NM I'd definitely be checking into "Santa Fe over 50 Outdoors". As it is, I have to travel for any backpacking trip I take. So, why not NM? Would "Santa Fe over 50 Outdoors" consider having a Nebraska member?

Why not? September 1, 2016, 5 am, I left the upper east side of Texas. Before dark I checked in at Cimarron Canyon State Park. It felt good to be back in the mountains after too long an absence.
Do you reckon that Santa Fe over 50 Outdoors has an Over 70 branch?
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure thing. I have members from all over.