Uintas Conditions 2017

I'm planning on fishing a few of the streams up in the High Uintas in about a week...will they still be too high/unfishable from runoff or should they be fine? (its ok if they're high, just not good if they are off color)

You should be fine, I'd think. The runoff has pretty much receded at this point.

Im heading up to the uintas for 3 days on july 6th.

Is Eccentric/Chepeta peak even a possibility right now? Or are we better off staying along the mirror lake highway corridor?

Also, is there anywhere along the mirror lake highway wit a phone signal (verizon)?

Im heading up to the uintas for 3 days on july 6th.

Is Eccentric/Chepeta peak even a possibility right now? Or are we better off staying along the mirror lake highway corridor?

Also, is there anywhere along the mirror lake highway wit a phone signal (verizon)?

You'll be fine around Chepeta.

No phone signal along Mirror Lake Hwy. On top of some peaks you can get a really good signal though, like Kings Peak.

Last edited:
I managed to get a call off from the top of Bald Mtn using Verizon but I would not count on service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are hoping to climb baldy on one of our 3 days.

Chepeta may or may not happen - sort of depends on how hard the altitude hits us!

Any idea how far north or south we'd have to drive to make a daily check in call on the days we don't do peak ascents?

@Kishenehn and the rest, as promised, here is my trip report from our travel to 12K' in the eastern Uintas this weekend and the view of Gabbro Pass. This pass is the first pass when walking the Uintas crossing on the Highline Trail. Pictures also of the Leidy Peak summit. In short, the Uintas are open for business with only the north facing passes any difficulty for travel. The Skeets are also open for business.
https://backcountrypost.com/threads/leidy-peak-circumnavigation-and-ascent-7-1.6940/

Leidy Peak and Leidy Peak reflected in an unnamed lake
publishSmWr-4.jpg

How were the mosquito's? We were thinking of heading up there this weekend, but wanted to make sure we wouldn't get eaten alive.

@Kishenehn and the rest, as promised, here is my trip report from our travel to 12K' in the eastern Uintas this weekend and the view of Gabbro Pass. This pass is the first pass when walking the Uintas crossing on the Highline Trail. Pictures also of the Leidy Peak summit. In short, the Uintas are open for business with only the north facing passes any difficulty for travel. The Skeets are also open for business.
https://backcountrypost.com/threads/leidy-peak-circumnavigation-and-ascent-7-1.6940/

Thanks, Art ... really enjoyed that trip report.

Just back from a hike into Red Castle, and yep ... the snow is melting fast. Seemed like there was visibly less on the hike out than on the trip in the day before. There was still about 50 feet of snow on the trail just before the main lake, but otherwise the trail had dried out well. Others who went to the upper lake said that the ice on it was melting fast.

Great trip, other than the mosquitos ... approximately a bazillion of them, to use the scientific term.

Thought I'd just throw this out there...

c90e7c9b224fd0d0ecea4ffa9e6ca94b.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone been to Middle Basin in the past couple of weeks? are they running sheep up there this year?

Back