Uintas Conditions 2016

It takes a special kind of stupid to launch fireworks in the forest. Unfortunately that kind of stupid seems to be taking over the world.

Well, in their defense, the fire danger sign did say, "LOW". :facepalm:

In all seriousness, I think you're right though. Unfortunately.

Yes Will, it was at wall lake.

This is still all a little new to me and I'll find my places to go and when. I honestly didn't think this trail would be so busy or the whole canyon. Maybe it's just the times I've gone in the past. We stopped at mirror lake and Provo river falls (a spot I went with his mom years ago and no one was their).
Good part is he loves getting out and the look on his face as he sees new things is priceless! I'll take that any day of the week!

I made a quick overnighter with one of my dogs up into Amethyst Basin Sat-Sun. A lot of people, but it was worth it. I was able to find a nice sheltered, secluded site on the north end of Ostler Lake for the night. I was a bit bothered by the amount of campers that were camped 'on the trail' - I passed several tents that had to be within 20-30 feet of the trail.

Weather was great. Some mud up higher. Bugs didn't seem to be bad, or at least didn't bother me.

Eastern Uintas was very boggy and mosquito-infested. Above treeline is quite nice - just a few lingering snowfields up to 12k. Above 12k or so there looks to be extensive snow still.

Anyone seen what Deadhorse pass looks like? Wondering if the snow fields have retreated enough to pass without snow gear? Thanks!

I was in the Leidy Peak area last week, 7/6-7/8 . There was more snow lingering than previous years along the ridgeline. Creeks were still flowing high and the bogs were overflowing. Mosquito season is officially on.

Here is a view from the north slope of Leidy looking at Mount Untermann with Gabbro Pass on the back left side.

VmkvmeGPN-vEkJH7nGDhbRh7pXzDZ5KrtwFBNOxsqC0n6lGA_XYI5wTlxXar-0aJXS-tU7v6Sdfov0dQB-8KJrcDBywzVDJkHs0eVtmmEWdo7QzuXo0mCu6ITPfTVOmgEpgi390zlF5ZscmBK7x9KDQjg3pirGx_KlLpQiC7aYG2T0aMzrlKCma463IRllWGnJzhTLODXHd-8lYFwo7h4jHeZJpMSv-j3DKF6rWUk4areHMRz1Zed6-QMq6yAHuqSQxyVVwwY-nVGhutC9XsZA0Ayxx7CLzLzO4s2_QASwKmQkwxBT5YBvNlRA3-ZaoNr9Z7Nx0jlPlwVwMLv_xjraMuuoPrfSB2C0FKaIgep7EXDAzJi503EYcSj9p6myWt-htRVajl61pJAQo-F5BfxbLSW0BCE_IdenbO4Y5O1giVAsN9K17iv8Tod_ljMMFcgl5fRSXRnh282x894hunxNC2yxRBA0ZfQqLIacG9Rn7Vp5WTHy9tTTDBagyMVaRQmEDcmP8nLnEtF-qkida2PIM5_jxNzpQGRI4_u9-NzaKXDGEUTKSo3--AhFnfHoJJE2lnZcckzAClBOc1A1EMHVbHf1KgJOg=w1625-h915-no

Has anyone been to granddaddy basin recently? Going up this week and was wondering how the conditions were and the mosquitos.

Thinking of heading up to Amethyst basin, probably camping at Ostler this weekend. What are chances of a decent campsite in Ostler if we are hiking in Saturday morning/noon? We will be in group of 4/5.

Thinking of heading up to Amethyst basin, probably camping at Ostler this weekend. What are chances of a decent campsite in Ostler if we are hiking in Saturday morning/noon? We will be in group of 4/5.
No idea but there are huge meadows all along that basin you can always camp in. Don't sweat it. Work a little and you can get away from crowds. May be walking down that trail coming from Ryder Lake Sunday afternoon so say Hey to me.

Just got back from a quick overnighter at Clyde Lake. Based on how crowded the main parking lot and the overflow was (where we parked) and with the Island/Long/Duck Lake area all being closed off due to the fire, I was expecting the lake to be a zoo. Surprisingly, the first site I had in mind was available, despite our late arrival, and nobody else was all that close. All dozen or so established sites across the lake were all occupied though. Anyways...the more relevant point for the thread here is that I never saw or noticed a mosquito. I had spray ready to go, but never had to draw it out. I'm not ready to say mosquito season is over, but based on my experience last night and today, it might just be about over.

Just got back from a quick overnighter at Clyde Lake. Based on how crowded the main parking lot and the overflow was (where we parked) and with the Island/Long/Duck Lake area all being closed off due to the fire, I was expecting the lake to be a zoo. Surprisingly, the first site I had in mind was available, despite our late arrival, and nobody else was all that close. All dozen or so established sites across the lake were all occupied though. Anyways...the more relevant point for the thread here is that I never saw or noticed a mosquito. I had spray ready to go, but never had to draw it out. I'm not ready to say mosquito season is over, but based on my experience last night and today, it might just be about over.
Wall Lake was an urban area. Glad you guys beat the crowds.

Got bit up just a bit by the little lakelets above Ibantik. Side note - does anyone know the proper pronunciation of "Ibantik"? I pronounce its vowels like "ebonics".

Wall Lake was an urban area. Glad you guys beat the crowds.

Got bit up just a bit by the little lakelets above Ibantik. Side note - does anyone know the proper pronunciation of "Ibantik"? I pronounce its vowels like "ebonics".

That's how I've always pronounced it. I think I've seen a discussion on this or something similar elsewhere in another thread. Though not a Uinta landmark, what I struggle with pronouncing is the Pfeifferhorn. Am I saying it right when I pronounce it like 'five-fur-horn'?

Almost. Drop the v. Fief-fuhr-horn. Think about the pronunciation of Michelle Pfeiffer.

Thanks Dave! That's exactly what I was trying to get at. I was just going with real words to illustrate my pronunciation and when you say them fast enough, that "V" more or less becomes silent and dropped anyway, but you laid it out much better.

We did a Friday-Sunday trip into Cuberant Basin for my B-Day this past weekend. Surprisingly not that busy out there for how busy everywhere else was on the 150. Huge thunderstorm rolled in Sunday with hail, lighting which struck less than a 1/4 mile from where we had sheltered down. Made for an exciting exit on Sunday. I imagine it is pretty wet in there now with how much rain came down on Sunday. Mosquitoes were still going in there, but better than previous trips this year. Just a few more weeks and say goodbye to the crowds and bugs. Can't wait!

Don't steal a spot from me! ha ha, im kidding. But I am headed up to Ostler on Friday afternoon through Sunday this weekend too.