Uintas Conditions 2014

Udink

Still right here.
Too early for this thread? I've been really itching lately for a mountain backpacking trip, and Parma's Fox Lake trip report made it worse (thanks! :roflmao:). Here are a few recent conditions reports that I've found:

Untitled-1.jpg
(Source)

Fullscreen capture 4182014 92854 PM.jpg
(Source)

Also, check out last year's Uintas conditions thread, including some good links from Artemus @langutah. It looks like current snow totals are still in the 50"-100" for the Mirror Lake area.

So, I'm wondering how doable an early trip might be this year. I tried a little too early in late May (the 24th) last year and it didn't work out so well, but that would have been easier to tough it out with a partner. Who's up for an early attempt this year?

Does this mean the hwy 150 is open all the way to mirror lake? Can't wait for the lakes up there to ice off and do some canoeing.

Does this mean the hwy 150 is open all the way to mirror lake? Can't wait for the lakes up there to ice off and do some canoeing.
I don't really know where the gate is, so I'm not sure. The fishing report could always be from people on snowmobiles.

Ya never mind, I missed the gate part. I believe its just few miles from Kamas where the fees collection booth is.

Too early for this thread?
So, I'm wondering how doable an early trip might be this year. I tried a little too early in late May (the 24th) last year and it didn't work out so well, but that would have been easier to tough it out with a partner. Who's up for an early attempt this year?

Yes, too early. I also have an itch that needs to be scratched Dennis. I've been making do with desert trips out the ying/yang. Soon, brother, soon. That snow model site I referenced that you found is what I bank on. The Eastern Uintas are clearing faster than the west and had far less snow as you can see in the model. Perhaps we will be at Leidy Peak soonest? Let's hope for May/June. In the meantime I am going to plan on snow climbing Deseret Peak to get my alpine fix. :twothumbs:

Thanks for starting the planning thread!

Yeah, it can't melt fast enough. The desert is nice but........ I much prefer the mountains. The lower elevations in the Wasatch are looking good, I am planning on starting to hike around here in the coming weeks.

I called the Kamas Ranger station yesterday and they said all lower campgrounds were still snow packed and the gate was still closed at Soapstone due to snow. The lower campgrounds are just a reference for the higher backcountry stuff.

Who's up for an early attempt this year?

I'd be up for an attempt at the very end of May/beginning of June if conditions are looking good. I've been having mountain fever as well.

Yeah, it can't melt fast enough. The desert is nice but........ I much prefer the mountains. The lower elevations in the Wasatch are looking good, I am planning on starting to hike around here in the coming weeks.

There are some nice low elevation hikes in the Wasatch you can do now. Adams Canyon, Lower Bells Canyon, Ferguson Canyon, and Neffs Canyon are just a few I can think of.

This thread is way too early :cry:I am very excited to and have a bunch of goals for this season as well, but it is still a long time coming. I live in Wyoming and get to look at the Uintas everyday. The Wasatch Front and Utah is about a month ahead of where we are in terms of spring - the ice is just coming off the lower reservoirs. It is easy to forget when you have that glorious green grass and warm weather down in Utah - a recipe for some serious mountain fever. The difference between SLC and Evanston is almost as dramatic as the drop from Cedar City to St. George, let alone going up another big step into the Uintas. The snow pack in the Uintas is still growing. The eastern half always opens up first, but all the gates are still shut. I am thinking that it might be possible to get to Browne Lake in a couple of weeks.

I was looking at the thread from last year and noticed that things were pretty open around mid June. Is that typical? I think I have always been under the false impression that most of the Uintas wasn't great until July 1st. Maybe it was the crazy 2011 season that is throwing me off... Anyway can't wait, I would love to plan a trip the weekend of June 14th!

I was looking at the thread from last year and noticed that things were pretty open around mid June. Is that typical? I think I have always been under the false impression that most of the Uintas wasn't great until July 1st. Maybe it was the crazy 2011 season that is throwing me off... Anyway can't wait, I would love to plan a trip the weekend of June 14th!

Late June is hit and miss. It's different every year. Just depends on how much snow through the winter and what spring is like. June 14th is probably pushing it for the high country unless it is exceptionally dry and warm. Might be good for some of the lower destinations like around Crystal Lake though. But like I said, it just depends.

For reference, there was good hiking and backpacking to be had mid-June last year, but still lots of snow hiding out in the trees and favorable areas for it. The ground was totally saturated with lots of mud and snow patches to walk through. It's a different kind of trip. Pretty sweet to hit it pre-mosquito, pre-monsoon and pre-crowds though. This was my mid-June 2013 trip:

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/ruth-lake-and-beyond.2285/

And this was the shore of Teal Lake (~10,300) on June 14th-ish on that trip:

uintas-hiking-2013-12-jpg.11496

Awesome! I have a feeling I will be watching this thread closely in June! I just remember calling the ranger station in 2011 for a July 9th trip to West Basin and being told to bring snowshoes :(, I know we need the moisture but selfishly I am hoping that doesn't happen this year!

Yeah, 2011 was insane! I pretty much always do a mountain trip the first week of July for my birthday. That year we ended up going to the east end which is a really good option if you're itching to get out earlier. They get a lot less snow on the east side. The lakes along Mirror Lake Highway were still frozen over in early July that year but we were hanging at 10,200 with just a few snow patches.

TR here:
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/potter-lake-eastern-uintas.199/

The lower drainages along the Mirror Lake Highway also make good early season trips if you like camping by a river. Here's a few I've done in previous years:

Shingle Creek
June 2011: http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/shingle-creek-uintas.415/
June 2006: http://backcountrypost.com/blog/uintas/shingle-creek-uintas-june-2006/

North Fork Provo River:
June 2011: http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/north-fork-provo-river-uintas.353/
May 12, 2012: http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/uintas-north-fork-trail.822/

Wow. That May 2012 trip is just 2 weeks away and that was a nice one. Hmmmm...