Uintas Conditions 2014

I'm thinking the Spirit lake/Mccoy Park area in the east might be doable at the end of June? I went there in August and was pleasantly surprised what a pretty area it was.

Some sad news on the news tonight, this last band of storms that came through added one to two feet of snow in the mountains. I was hoping to take the family to Teapot, no hike just camping, in mid June but I think this year it will be out, just cause the wife hates camping, not to mention cold camping. My back packing trips with my young boys got planned tonight, we are waiting till the first of August. I think I am going to have to get my fix with a short trip into a lower lake by myself as soon as trails are clear. Does anyone know of a drug to calm this mtn hiking itch?

I wouldn't write off mid-June at Teapot. In fact, if between now and then is similar to last year, it will be a sure thing.

This is the last 7 days of data from the Trial Lake snotel:

upload_2014-4-28_22-59-27.png

That's only 5' of snow to melt off. Totally doable by mid-June.

This is what it looked like last year about the same time. As mentioned in the previous posts, we were backpacking in mid-June in the Uintas last year.
screen-shot-2013-04-24-at-10-57-53-pm-png.9896

Once the runoff starts in full, it will really only take 3-4 weeks to severely diminish the Uinta snowpack. The big question is when that 3-4 week span will begin. A quick warm-up in early May would kickstart the process.

Gotta be grateful for snotel sensors. My wife hasn't yet done Kings, and wants me to take her this summer. Shooting for end of June, but if not, I'll be doing my Provo to PC trip then and Kings will have to wait until later in July.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

So grateful to have found this thread. Sitting in my office ready to hit the trails. We are planning a 5-6 day backpack around June 15th, so keeping my fingers crossed. It has been a very light winter down here. Mt Charleston has lots of dirt showing through the snow and we did not get much from the last storm (which bummed out The Dog, who is always in search of snow to roll in).

The antsy NOOB

I just got back from a trip up there from the North. You can get up to the Whitney turnoff. There is still quite a bit of snow around the Bear River ranger station, even though the snotel reads "0". With that being said, it appears that this is just another average year. The rivers are all still fairly low and clear. The snotel in Hickerson park is now reading "0" so hopefully the Ashley will be opening up their portion of the North Slope soon.

Down it goes...

Trial Lake Snotel:
upload_2014-5-5_22-58-20.png

Not warming up all that much though. It's feeling like a slightly colder and wetter than average spring and the 10-day is not giving me a lot of hope for the melt to speed dramatically up anytime soon.

Salt Lake 10-day:
upload_2014-5-5_23-0-44.png

I guess this is optimal for filling reservoirs though. Cool and wet, then hot at the end.

Great site everyone, I'm learning a bunch and love all the great trip reports/pics.
I'm planning a Uinta trip 6/27-7/2ish.. Do you think that is late enough that I can plan wherever I want?
Keep in mind that I'm a fisherman first..backpacker second. I like all the nice scenery and solitude...but there must be fishing!
Can you recomend any good spots for a family multi nighter? I've been to the winds mulitple times, only times to the Uintas were car camping as a kid and lower elevation cabin..
So I'm a seasoned enough backpacker, this will be a first for the family however. Wife, Daughters, Dog, Nephews, 10-17yrs old. I'm sure I can do 20 miles, Wife can hike me into the ground, what is too far for a 10 yr old in Uintas?
I'd prefer easy rockless trails, not much elevation gain, huge fish....but I understand I may only get one of these.
Once again...fishing first, if the fish are big enough, I'll crack the whip and make 'em hike 40...
Honestly though, is there a difference between being able to "get into" somewhere and having water low enough and clear enough to fish? I prefer stream fishing..

thanks in advance for your replies

steelie

Should be mostly open by then if things don't get crazy between now and then. I still wouldn't bank on using many of the passes though.

Stream fishing in the Uintas is fun, but I don't think you're going to be catching anything to write home about. 8-10" is pretty typical for the streams. West Forks Blacks Fork is a great place for that which also happens to be a wonderful place all around. It's about 10 miles to the top. The fishing in Dead Horse Lake is meh but there are some big ones (by Uinta standards) lurking in EJOD next door. Only problem I see is that crossing the river to get to the trailhead could be interesting that early in the year, depending on how the runoff is going.

If you went up that way, you could extend into upper Lakefork or Rock Creek. More good fishing to be had around there.

Edit: I take that last line back as getting over Dead Horse Pass would probably not be happening that early. Not sure what Red Knob Pass is like.

May water supply briefing by the NWS state hydrologist Brian McInerney. I watch these religiously for another data point on planning my access to the high mountains. Looks like we will be getting higher/earlier again this year. Watch away. Make plans.

Last edited:
There was an article on KSL a few days ago saying UDOT was still cutting their way through ice and snow, I think they said they have 15 more miles to go until it's done, with 6-8 feet of snow still at the summit.

There was an article on KSL a few days ago saying UDOT was still cutting their way through ice and snow, I think they said they have 15 more miles to go until it's done, with 6-8 feet of snow still at the summit.

What does that mean for the road being open? I'm not familiar with their ability to clear roads. On the UDOT website it still lists this weekend as being possibly open.