Toroweap

Google thinks you should drive like 5mph on dirt roads though. In reality you can average at least 30-40 on that one quite safely. But it's probably more like 1.5 from Hurricane and then a bit more from Springdale/Zion proper.
I second the fact that Google has no stinking idea how to plot time-to-travel on dirt roads - and not even correctly on pavement. SLC to Toroweap is pretty much a casual 6-7 hours. (from a dozen trips of experience)

Last edited:
I second the fact that Google has no stinking idea how to plot time-to-travel on dirt roads - and not even correctly on pavement. SLC to Toroweap is pretty much a casual 6-7 hours. (from a dozen trips of experience)

Really. The only way to know the travel time is to do it. Against many warnings, I just traveled the Jungo Road (look it up, very interesting) alone. I covered the 100 miles at an average of 30 mph. Some people said it could take as long as 7 hours. I suppose it could during a steady rain.

Re Zion to Toroweap travel time, your GPS maps aren't privy to a dirt road that runs from Rockville past the ghost town and comes out on 89 west of Colorado City. I don't recall the name of the road but I drove it a few times when I lived in Kanab 1993-99. It basically cuts the corner so eliminates the drive through Virgin and Hurricane. Prob save you 45 mins - 1 hour?
It's a well graded road, 4 wheel not necessary although you're better off in a truck chassis anywhere in that country.

Last edited:
"I got down on my hands and knees and crawled. No, I didn't crawl, I wormed my way out until my head was suspended 3,000 feet above the Colorado River."

Yowza!!! I know what you mean!!!
howie taking pictues of the grand canyon -converted-.jpg

Heck of a good spot to get your first "ever" view of the canyon!! Makes me wanna go again!

Great report...PM me when you head that way again. Would be happy to point you to some other fantastic spots. Glad you had a great time!

It's way better than something like Hole-in-the-Rock. Just be prepared for flats and you're golden.
@Nick I am thinking about doing a Toroweap trip 10/24-10/29. Coming out from CT for my twice a year Utah fix. I have bounced down the Hole-in-the-Rock 5-6 times with rental SUVs and thankfully have only had one flat (nail in tire). What do you think, a couple cans of flat tire foam, confirm the rental Cherokee has a full size spare and go for it?

@Nick I am thinking about doing a Toroweap trip 10/24-10/29. Coming out from CT for my twice a year Utah fix. I have bounced down the Hole-in-the-Rock 5-6 times with rental SUVs and thankfully have only had one flat (nail in tire). What do you think, a couple cans of flat tire foam, confirm the rental Cherokee has a full size spare and go for it?

I think you'd probably be okay. From what I'm hearing the worst flat issues are from taking regular car tires.

I think you'd probably be okay. From what I'm hearing the worst flat issues are from taking regular car tires.
Besides doing the cool stuff on Nick's TR I am considering dayhikes down Tuckup Canyon to Shaman's Gallery and/or the Lava Falls Trail. The Lava Falls trail sounds a little sketchy. Any advice about these trails or other trails/sites in the area?

Nothing on Lava.... but I have rumor on two other panels similar to the main panel, never found them though.