To Do in 2020

LarryBoy

Hiker Trash
It's that time of year again! Time for trip planning and goal setting in between bites of oliebollen. Reading everybody's amazing to-do lists is one of the very best parts of BCP. Let's hear your goals for 2020!

Previous years:

2014: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2014.2671/
2015: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2015.3896/
2016: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2016.5420/
2017: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2017.6450/
2018: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2018.7301/
2019: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2019.8240/

We've got lots of travel.

Three weeks in NZ and OZ next month

A month in France in the spring

Canadian Rockies in July

A few weeks in Yellowstone in the summer with our kids in August..

And some trips in the Sierra.

Can you tell we're retired?

Canadian Rockies in July

At least you make the most of retirement. My wife and I are trying to convince my in-laws to stay active like this. So with that in mind we invite them on trips to “torture” them as my wife says.

Canadian Rockies in July

I am available for adoption. For dollars a day you could help a skinny bald guy get stoked ;)

I'm up in the air about this years big trip. Maybe a biggish SEKI loop, or a Beartooth traverse, or a Colorado loop, or a different part of the Winds. I'll be doing several big single day hikes in the NE including another Presidential traverse, a single day Pemi loop, and a single day Mahoosuc traverse. Maybe finally try to run a full ultra marathon if I feel I can get trained up. Knees are the rate limiting factor.

Don't have much big plans in store for 2020. With my situation, it will be spur-of-the-moment.

Right Now, the only thing I have planned/reserved is 4 days in The Maze in April. Possibly taking dad to the San Juans but doubtful on much hiking there since he is 83.

Those rafting trips people did look fun.

I'm looking at doing the Nankoweap Trail as well, just not sure when.

As soon as the kiddos (aged 13 and 10) school gets out in late May we're headed to Peru for 2.5 weeks. Our general plan is to acclimate in Sacred Valley outside of Cusco for a few days https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/32714785. Then tackle a 9 day trek to Choquequirao Ruins and eventually to Machu Picchu. https://belgianbirdsofpassage.wordpress.com/from-choquequirao-on-incatrail-to-vitcos/ We'll end the trip in Peru with some days exploring Cusco and sipping on Pisco Sours.

Later in the summer we'll head to the Yukon Territories for some mountain biking and hiking in Carcross and Whitehorse.

Hoping to add on a 4 day backpack (Northern Loop) in Rainier National Park before a family reunion late July.

I'd also love to squeeze in a trip to Cedar Mesa and Natural Bridges sometime in October.

Not too many concrete plans at this point. Here's what I've got bouncing around in my head though:
  • I want to camp for my birthday (end of January), so I'm trying to figure out where to go/what to do for that. Not many people are keen on January camping/backpacking, so it may be a solo one where I spend 14 hours in the tent. I haven't camped since early October though, so that would still be a good time if you ask me.
  • I've unintentionally started a tradition of taking a backpacking trip to areas immediately south and east of Boulder Mountain in the beginning of May, so I'll do that again this year. Lots of ground down there that I'd like to cover.
  • A Wind Rivers trip with one of the friends I went with last year and his wife. In August instead of July this time. Damn mosquitoes.
  • A southern Absarokas trip. Maybe this will be the year I get to walk on the Buffalo Plateau.
  • Fall GYE trip with Scatman, weather permitting.
  • Jessica and I are wanting to go somewhere new to us, and possible destinations are New Zealand, Newfoundland & Labrador, and Alaska. So we'll see where we end up. We'll definitely do some hiking wherever we go.

World's worst plan maker, checking in with a mix of somewhat firm goals and stuff I'm thinking up as I type this.
  • heli-ski up by Whistler
  • ski at least one 14er in CO
  • at least one ice fishing outing
  • 4 pass loop backpack down @ Maroon Bells
  • hike up 5 14er's I haven't done already
  • spend some nights up in the Winds
I can't go on, this is too much effort... :p

Last edited:
At least you make the most of retirement. My wife and I are trying to convince my in-laws to stay active like this. So with that in mind we invite them on trips to “torture” them as my wife says.

We just figure that we don't have THAT many years left when we'll still be fully mobile/ambulatory/ capable of such trips. So we might as well not leave anything on the table.....

Appreciate the offers to join us.--although we already have two kids, so probably won't adopt any more at this point!

Fun to hear everyone's plans!

*We're skiing at Steamboat now. It's been snowing like crazy and is beautiful!
*In February we're heading to a place we love for cross country skiing - Stokely Creek Resort in Ontario (just north of Sault Ste. Marie) that has many miles/kilometers of groomed trails and has lodging & meals.
*In April we'll be backpacking the Beehive Traverse in Capitol Reef with Steve Howe. We're really looking forward to that and thank you, @WasatchWill, for sharing info about it!
*In August we'll be backpacking in the Winds and appreciate recommendations so many people here have provided.

We're excited!

Everyone got great stuff so far.

- 7 Days in the Canadian Rockies with my wife

- The Bailey Traverse in Olympic National Park

- Several BC Coastal Mountain trips including a 6 day off trail traverse.

- To enjoy each weekend I get to the max!

Now as for 2020, nothing for myself is set in stone but am pondering my choices for this summer and what I will be doing. The one thing is that is about certain is that I will be leaving my work situation and retiring. This year it looks like it will be the end of my work life. After I leave work plan on heading to the wilds with wandering about and living with the land as long as am able, mountains in the summer and deserts/canyons in the winter. I just turned 63 and am still in good health. There is still so much wild and nice country out there beyond the end of the road where one can disappear and vanish with enjoying the wilds and enjoying life as the Creator intended it to be in my opinion.

Here is the choices that am pondering ...

1.) Continuing to Work for awhile ... Would like to leave by like May or so but because of things at work, the time when I will leave is not certain. But at the latest do think it would be by Late Summer. But again hopefully to leave in like May and run to the mountain wilds to Enjoy!
2) Hike and Wander from Spring to the Fall in the Northwestern Wilds here in good ol' Wyoming. This means spending all summer again in the wonderful wilds in the Absarokas, back to the Thorofare, back to the SE parts of Yellowstone Park, be in all the wonderful wild country from spring to fall here in NW Wyoming.
3.) Hike and Wander from mainly Spring to Fall up in the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex there in Northern Montana. Go all over the wild country up in these parts with wandering about and living with the land in the old ways. Now was here years ago and need to get back into this country.
4.) Bike and Hike about along the way - the Great Mountain Divide Bike Route from Banff / Jasper in Canada to Antelope Wells New Mexico. Start in early June in Calgary, Ca., go over to Banff and up to Jasper thru the Nat'l Parks there then down by late Oct. or Nov. so to Antelope Wells, NM. Then all winter in the Desert Southwest biking and hiking about.
5.) Go on back to Alaska with roaming, camping, and hiking about.

Then after all summer in the High Country, head south in the fall to the canyon and desert country all next winter with wandering about and living in the wilds down that way all winter, the fall to spring period. And live this way with summer in the mountains and deserts in the winter as long as this body allows me to. Get Out and Enjoy Life!!!!

These are the main alternatives which am pondering at this time. I have all winter to decide. One day am thinking one option and the next day the other. Now will let people know here know what I decide. It could also be a combination of these options - like a combination of #2 and #3. Do think after working right now that options #2 and #3 are the strongest possibilities so far. Get back into those Deep Deep Wilds and Enjoy Life!!!!

Last edited:
Nick, so you would like to work more in this coming year. Now not many people voice a desire to work more in life. Do understand for in the last few years as for myself have dedicated to working. And now looking at the time for myself to retire and head to the wilds to live. Wishing You the Best!

My plans for the year are a bit different than last year. I definitely want to spend more time outdoors hiking, camping, skiing, kayaking

Spent part of the summer in Yellowstone and hike a ton again in the backcountry

hike 1,000 miles

ski and snowshoe a lot

camp at least 20-25 nights

do at least one backpacking trip

visit Grand Teton NP

visit and hike in the Beartooths and the Lee Metcalf Wilderness in Montana

get an inflatable kayak again

learn downhill skiing

spent Christmas and New Years in Greater Yellowstone again

Last edited:
2) Hike and Wander from Spring to the Fall in the Northwestern Wilds here in good ol' Wyoming. This means spending all summer again in the wonderful wilds in the Absarokas, back to the Thorofare, back to the SE parts of Yellowstone Park, be in all the wonderful wild country from spring to fall here in NW Wyoming.
3.) Hike and Wander from mainly Spring to Fall up in the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex there in Northern Montana. Go all over the wild country up in these parts with wandering about and living with the land in the old ways. Now was here years ago and need to get back into this country.

I definitely want to hear more about it since I will be moving to Montana next year. I already start to extend my explorations and begin to spent more time in the area.
I'll start exploring SE Yellowstone for the first time this summer as well as I haven't done that yet. Hopefully one day I'll be able to do the Thorofare

Not much set in stone yet, so much of this is subject to modification...
  • Take my wife through Halls Creek in Capitol Reef
  • Guide another friend along BT route in Capitol Reef
  • Annual daddy-kid trips (locations TBD)
  • Primitive leisure camping with family for a few days (location TBD)
  • 5 days backpacking in the Winds
  • Birthday backpacking trip with wife in the Uintas
  • Puruneweap/Barracks