Gear Review Thermarest NeoAir XLite

As an aside, I've got the large XTherm and I love it. I used to have the Big Agnes Q-core ultralight, but damn that thing was cold and uncomfortable. Loving the thermarest...

Hello, brand new to BCP but excited to have an active community with which to discuss all things backpacking :)

I just bought this pad (2015 version) which claims to be made with softer fabric. I had a friend buy last year's model (2014). We both used it on a recent camping trip to Natural Bridges National Monument and we both slept like rocks. I ordered the large because my arms hung off the side on the regular when sleeping on my back (I'm 5'8" 180 lbs with averagely broad shoulders for a guy) and the large did the trick for only a couple more oz. My friend (who is very slim and a little shorter than I am) said she slept great on her regular sized one.

I'm fairly new to backpacking and decided to splurge on this pad in an attempt to have a great nights rest and minimize my pack weight (so as not to get frustrated with backpacking altogether) and I'm very pleased. I slept as well on this pad as I slept at home on my firm mattress. Money well spent and it weighs nothing.

A note about the noise...my 2 tent mates didn't even notice it. However, my friend's tent mates said that hers was loud, but I don't think it was a major complaint. Maybe they've made them quieter. I couldn't notice a difference when I compared the two.

Moisture in a pad......never had any since I went to the Prolite then to the NeoAir...going on 20 years? maybe. When you aren.t using it just leave it inflated with the valve open all the way...... cured.

My XLite is now 4 years old and, as of last weekend, has never leaked. Always blown it up with my mouth and never worried about moisture inside. Have camped on Mt. Rainier's glaciers with it. Thought it was ridiculously expensive, but it's been worth the money.

Wow. Three years since I wrote this review. I still haven't had a leak with mine either, although I kinda quit using it a year or so ago. I found that the comfort of a fully rectangular pad is worth a little extra weight. Although I did use this one again for a few nights last month and it performed wonderfully.

This is great to read, I just picked one up for my wife with the 20% off campmor code that Bob shared with us. Maybe I'll bring it out this weekend with me instead of my z lite and test it for her.

Wow. Three years since I wrote this review. I still haven't had a leak with mine either, although I kinda quit using it a year or so ago. I found that the comfort of a fully rectangular pad is worth a little extra weight. Although I did use this one again for a few nights last month and it performed wonderfully.

Thank you for your review Nick. I have been looking into getting a new pad and this one seems to be sliding into top place. I would like to ask what pad you are currently using? I currently have a 2 year old REI stratus and have been about 2.5/5 stars happy with it. I love the weight of the xlite, :) My pad was 80 buck when I bought it so near double the cost is a little hard to swallow :).

I would like to ask what pad you are currently using?

Usually my NeoAir All Season. I don't think they're making it anymore though. It's basically just a NeoAir XLite but fully rectangular and with a slightly higher R value. I'm fine with the R value of the XLite, I just am not a fan of semi-rectangular anymore.

I've owned my Neoair Xlite for three years now and haven't had one issue. Your original review is spot on; the only negative thing for me is the noise.

For those of you who are concerned about condensation - or just hate blowing up your mattress - I have a solution. Bring a large garbage bag (50L or more) and pack it with the mattress. Open up the bag (don't have to fill it) and then gather the opening together. Make a small hole with the index finger of one hand while holding the gathered plastic with the other. Then put the mattress nozzle inside the hole, clamp around it with your hand and squeeze the garbage bag.

I can usually fill my mattress with one "squeeze", but sometimes need part of another. The advantages are many:
1) You don't have to worry about hyperventilating.
2) You don't introduce very humid air from your breath
3) You can inflate in usually less than two minutes.

Lastly, you can then use the garbage bag as a layer below the mattress for extra protection from puncture.

There are inflating devices out there, but this is cheap, ultra light, and effective. I've never had condensation in my mattress as a result.