The new backcountrypost logo

I still like #29 just seems more smooth and less boxy than #33

I really like the cairn idea too. But not the cairn in a circle or in a box; I like the cairn on top of a curved line:

13509391-original.png

I think I like Don 's version for the big logo.
Backcountry Post Logo 3.jpg

And the Box version for the small one
Backcountry Logo 4.jpg

Reactions: Don
Okay, I'm going to focus more on refining the lettering now. What do you guys think of these variations. Feel free to say you like certain things about different variations and I can work up a new version like that. Once it's narrowed down a bit, I'll pass it to the designer.

bcpletters.jpg

Okay, I'm going to focus more on refining the lettering now. What do you guys think of these variations. Feel free to say you like certain things about different variations and I can work up a new version like that. Once it's narrowed down a bit, I'll pass it to the designer.

I like #1

I prefer the smaller stone on top.

For the letters, maybe you could try the #2 but with the Y which would take the same room than the T (not with a long leg), thus there would be only a long leg for the B of Backcountry and a long leg for the P of Post and the two words would be more distinct.

I prefer the smaller stone on top.

For the letters, maybe you could try the #2 but with the Y which would take the same room than the T (not with a long leg), thus there would be only a long leg for the B of Backcountry and a long leg for the P of Post and the two words would be more distinct.

bcpletters2.jpg

#29 is the best so far in my opinion. but i think the visual problem with that cairn that has been making people see it as being snowman-like is not the missing 4th rock, but the thickness of the middle rock. i think if it was more slablike rather than being so blocky it would be a more balanced (no pun intended) composition. the dimensional shift of the size of the rocks is too uniform to look natural.

A mockup of the logo with the swooping line on the bcp website. I'm wondering if that brown color would be cool to replace some of the greys on the site. Or should the logo go grey on the site...

bcp-mock.jpg

further thought about the shape of the cairn: i am always drawn more to the ones which are slightly awkward & shifty looking - ones that took a bit of effort to get them to balance. the one in the design looks like it was set up for a fake photoshoot,it looks too designed - like an idealized cairn rather than one that we would come across on an actual trail. cairns hold stories of simple effort & playfulness, of trying to make random rocks balance as a stack. rarely do we find symmetrical ,easily balanced cairns that look so uniform.
at least that is what the artist in me says. ;)

I still like the way the bottom logo on #29 looks, but I think I like the new logo on #35 for the main one. The color looks good. I changed my mind after seeing the mock up.