Album The members of backcountrypost.com

I'm heading up the Cherry Canyon Route to Outlaw Cabin, then I'll head up the upper Willow Creek Drainage, then drop down to the summit ridge, and then make my way to the summit. I might return via the Jacobs Ladder Trail and then loop back to the Cherry Canyon Trail for a little change of scenery.
Jacobs back to Cherry up high by Ennis Peak right? cuz coming back walking the CC road over to Cherry (which is closed) is a sure way to drag out the end of the hike. I mean I know you like torture, but that's not the right kind of torture dodging bikers and rattlesnakes in the hot sun.

Just throwing this out for consideration is Trail of the Eagle for the way up. The trail has been improved with some hard work over the past few years and connects to the Cherry Canyon trail so that you still hit the spring at the top of Beartrap before going over toward the cabin.

oh and if you do the kilt-flashing thing, warn me please. I will be sure to keep the kids outside , inside, I mean. So they don't accidentally look up at that. :p

Jacobs back to Cherry up high by Ennis Peak right? cuz coming back walking the CC road over to Cherry (which is closed) is a sure way to drag out the end of the hike. I mean I know you like torture, but that's not the right kind of torture dodging bikers and rattlesnakes in the hot sun.

Just throwing this out for consideration is Trail of the Eagle for the way up. The trail has been improved with some hard work over the past few years and connects to the Cherry Canyon trail so that you still hit the spring at the top of Beartrap before going over toward the cabin.

oh and if you do the kilt-flashing thing, warn me please. I will be sure to keep the kids outside , inside, I mean. So they don't accidentally look up at that. :p

I have never hiked Trail of the Eagle before, only Cherry Canyon and Jacobs. Where do I pick the trail up at? Does it make for a longer approach?

No, I'm not heading to the bottom of Jacobs, I'll cut across back to the Cherry Canyon Trail further up the mountain.

Your kids should be A-okay. I'll be on my best behavior. :D

I have never hiked Trail of the Eagle before, only Cherry Canyon and Jacobs. Where do I pick the trail up at? Does it make for a longer approach?

No, I'm not heading to the bottom of Jacobs, I'll cut across back to the Cherry Canyon Trail further up the mountain.

Your kids should be A-okay. I'll be on my best behavior. :D
Since you are already going for Outlaw and that direction to LP, then it is only slightly longer.
(see the map below)
Instead of going up Cherry from the BST, cross the suspension bridge, walk a little north and take a right to climb uphill along where the old BST went back into Bear. Trail of the Eagle branches off to the north from there and quickly starts to climb up towards a couple mahogany trees.

I was wrong about one thing though, on the trip where we summited from Trail of the Eagle we had water flowing at the head of Little Willow near the same meadow as Outlaw. That was in June, but a year when there was still a bit of snow. So to get to Bear spring you would have to drop down that 1/5 of a mile or so back to the spring, if the spring matters.

T of the Eagle has some great alternative views down into Little Willow and "slightly" more shade.

Looks like this:
1625003263128.png

Now no one else should take Trail of the Eagle cuz you might have brush scrape your ankles, see rattlesnakes, or have you calves hurt from climbing from the valley floor up into the alpine. But @scatman can take that kind of pain.

Rattlesnakes do make it an appealing alternative. :thumbsup: Thanks for the information @Ugly. I've got a couple weeks to make up my mind.

I haven't done much hiking yet this year other than a couple too short days of it in Utah earlier in the year. Have been doing a lot of biking though. Sunday I did my second ever century ride (100 miles). Perfect day for it. Photo by a couple who did the ride on a tandem (their second century this year).

16102.jpeg
What a nerd.

On top of Mount St Helens: I fulfilled a lifelong dream of climbing to the top

summit%20selfie-XL.jpg

summit%20selfie%202-XL.jpg

Stopped for a picnic lunch in Warren, New Hampshire, and found an actual Redstone rocket on display in the town park! Of course we just had to take a selfie there …

8865463F-620A-4827-8C8B-9E9573971250.jpeg

a local guy was stationed Huntsville, Alabama in 1971 and saw these rockets just laying around. He asked around and found out that the rockets were decommissioned and labeled as junk. So he made the necessary arrangements and had the rocket transported by tractor trailer from Alabama to Warren. And so this rocket has been on display there for 50 years!

I call this affectionately, "Waiting for Bob."

We were supposed to meet at the Beartooth Lake Trailhead between 10:30 am and 11:30 am on the 26th. Unfortunately there was some construction along the Beartooth Highway which caused some delays, so I had some time to kill until @Bob arrived.

B01.jpg
Arrived at the Beartooth Lake Trailhead

B02.jpg
Bear info board at the trailhead

B03.jpg
Invasive species information board

B04.jpg
More bear info

B05.jpg
Beartooth Butte beyond Beartooth Lake

B06.jpg
Just chilllin'

B07.jpg
I've made a friend

B08.jpg
Little Bear Creek

B09.jpg
Trail junction near the trailhead

B10.jpg
Other option at the junction

B12.jpg
Willows along Little Bear Creek

B13.jpg
Ready for an adventure.

B14.jpg
A type of Arnica I believe.

And then Bob showed up! :thumbsup:

Beartooth Lake Trailhead is where I started (and ended) my second backpacking trip. Thanks for bringing back some good memories @scatman