Album The members of backcountrypost.com

I had no idea....

While @scatman prances and dances across the stream,

publishSmWr-1-4.jpg

I have to frantically ice my knees in the frigid Fan Creek in order to be able to keep up with Hugh, Hugh Jr., Katie and Becky on our Gallatin Mountains crossing, YNP, this weekend. My first multi-day with the scatFamily and I am a bit "winded".

publishSmWr-1-3.jpg

Last edited:
Just blame it on the smoke in the air from the Bacon Rind Fire. :)
Whoa, that will be part of the TR. I feel like ca-ca tonight and now find out that I am "at-risk" x2 since I am an outdoors exerciser, at altitude, and old. I am going to have to go to work to clean out my lungs in my office. Geesh....

Once you start smoking bacon rinds, you will rapidly age and all bets are off. I feel like I smoke about a pack of day, there's so much smoke over here.

Hope you get well rested so Scatman's TR doesn't set off too much PTSD. :)

introducing our granddaughter to some hiking in Maine ...
facebook_1534247736115.jpg
taking a break at Norse Pond on our way to Bog Cove ...
20180807_103152.jpg
and sometimes hiking is rough business ...
20180807_104043.jpg
but then sometimes you find really cool stuff at your destination ...
facebook_1534248234147.jpg
this bottle was sealed with a cork and wax and we could see some photos and other small things inside ... so we took it with us back to our rental house. Inside we found photos and "trinkets" from a pre-k class in Marblehead, Massachusetts! So Amelia is going to write them a letter and tell them that she found their "messages in a bottle".
This was a hot humid day ... not all that noticeable while at the beach/cove but we definitely felt it as we hiked back to our car ... Amelia was dragging about half way back & this was the result soon after leaving the trailhead ...
facebook_1534248746672.jpg

In retrospect I could have used my timer to get the three of us in a shot.......but I really only learned how to do this while on top of Haystack Butte, by myself, then promptly forgot about it. We Chandler's don't naturally think in terms of "we should get a shot of all of us." We scoff at people asking strangers to "take our picture?"
IMG_9543.jpgIMG_9544.jpgIMG_9973.jpg

I think I am going to climb this mountain someday. This was sort of a recon mission I went on while the boys spent the day getting over their week.
IMG_9972.jpg

@Artemus this is for you. It is the best I can do since I have no clue how to do this.View attachment 67432
Poppa! This is great. I would exclamate the great part but I have read and now agree that the exclamation point is very much overused and abused. Now that I am further along in my discourse I can say this is great! .. but still kind of sad that you guys aren't setting up a three hiker selfie :) Our most-esteemed Admin, @Nick, is the king of composites (photoshopping) and could certainly give you some tips but this shows some a) necessary interest and motivation b) an "A" for effort.

Thanks for the effort. I truly admire all the Chandlers and their backcountry machinations and desire to protect our mother, Nature.

Last edited:
In retrospect I could have used my timer to get the three of us in a shot.......but I really only learned how to do this while on top of Haystack Butte, by myself, then promptly forgot about it. We Chandler's don't naturally think in terms of "we should get a shot of all of us." We scoff at people asking strangers to "take our picture?"
View attachment 67443View attachment 67444View attachment 67445

I think I am going to climb this mountain someday. This was sort of a recon mission I went on while the boys spent the day getting over their week.
View attachment 67446
Do you mean you went out on a recon while they rested up from you working them for the previous week?
And ... how do you do all this power hiking in jeans? It would cramp my style...

Do you mean you went out on a recon while they rested up from you working them for the previous week?
And ... how do you do all this power hiking in jeans? It would cramp my style...
Finally, someone calling me out for my attire. I have hiked in jeans and a flannel shirt forever. I hate sunscreen. I dislike being bothered by bugs. I'm cheap!!!

Last edited:
I always hike in long pants and a long-sleeved shirt, which means no need for bug spray. I wear a hat and will wear a bug net if it's really bad. I also hate sunscreen.

People ask if I get hot, but the clothing actually helps keep you cool. Rommel did studies while in N. Africa on what kind of clothes are best adapted to heat and found that the Bedouins, who wore long loose clothing, often in dark colors, were staying reasonably cool even in high temps. The clothes create a circulatory system that keeps sweat from evaporating and thereby helps cool you as well as decreasing your need for water. I've hiked in the desert when it was over 100 degrees and found it tolerable (I do drink lots of water). If I put on shorts and a nylon shirt I get really hot, not to mention easily sunburned since I have fair skin. And you're right, no need for expensive REI clothes, just the basics work fine. :)

Jeff and I wanted to join my Glacier ranger friends for a special presentation about amphibian research happening at the park. And yes, my butt hurt and my legs were a bit wobbly thank you very much.

It is really quite hilarious listening to my dad talk about the "fancy" outdoor wear Jeff and I have. He's no muss no fuss. I don't understand how he kept the flannels on all week. It was hot in Glacier that week.