Album The members of backcountrypost.com

Awesome! (and cute kid!) Just the other day I was thinking I should reach out to you about another RMNP hike, but forgot you were in Ecuador. You'll have to post some trip reports!

Awesome! (and cute kid!) Just the other day I was thinking I should reach out to you about another RMNP hike, but forgot you were in Ecuador. You'll have to post some trip reports!
We'll definitely have to get together when I'm back! My son and I made it up to the refugio on Cotopaxi today at just under 16k'. It's currently very active - made for a great picture of my son on the way up!
20230603_115023(o).jpg

It was National Trails Day today, so I had to hit the trail.
I went to Hawaiʻi Volcanoes NP again and hiked the Mauna Iki trail.
I did not see a single soul the entire day; even though it was Saturday, I was hiking in the National Park on a slightly popular backcountry trail.
I did not complain about it.

The entire area felt like walking and hiking on Mars with the barren lava landscape, the sand, and Peleʻs hair. I always enjoy this hike a lot and did a 15-mile out and back today.

hiking%20selfie-XL.jpg

hiking%20selfie%202-XL.jpg

admiring%20the%20view-XL.jpg

getting%20the%20shot-XL.jpg

hiking%20selfie%203-XL.jpg

20230616_071519.jpg

Made it to the top of Chimborazo yesterday - 20,550' and the closest place on earth to the sun. Pretty phenomenal finale to my Ecuador climbing trip. I'll post a trip report at some point in the next couple weeks.

Looking forward to getting back to the states now - should be pretty well acclimatized for my Absaroka trip in a few weeks. :)

Since we cannot have a dog in the house... and there is not a "Cats of BCP"...
My kids adopted a kitten. Maple.

She has taken over my water cup and desk.
IMG_4709.jpg
(those who like to look at what's not in the picture can see my extensive supply of tent-zipper lubricant, and worldwide nicknacks, and my REI birthday card that still has ca$h money value)

She also has not yet learned to sit like a lady:
IMG_4707.jpg

We also seem to have a certain color spectrum for our indoor animals.
IMG_4704.jpg
Maple meets Fluffaluffagus

Since we cannot have a dog in the house... and there is not a "Cats of BCP"...
My kids adopted a kitten. Maple.

She has taken over my water cup and desk.
View attachment 122224
(those who like to look at what's not in the picture can see my extensive supply of tent-zipper lubricant, and worldwide nicknacks, and my REI birthday card that still has ca$h money value)

She also has not yet learned to sit like a lady:
View attachment 122223

We also seem to have a certain color spectrum for our indoor animals.
View attachment 122222
Maple meets Fluffaluffagus

Fluffaluffagus! Classic! Love it.

Training hikes the past two weekends have taken me back to Cuyahoga Valley. Rather than write redundant trip reports I'll stuff a summary here in the member's thread.

Still lugging the 45lb. pack holding weights and concrete pavers around; thinking I might start swapping in some actual camping gear to better balance things out.

The Canon R5 with 24-70mm lens was used both days. I hope to haul this combo down Yellowstone's Thorofare in August as my luxury item.

Saturday, June 17th Mrs. TractorDoc and I walked a patchwork of trails to Brandywine Falls.

0O7A9874.JPG

The Stanford Trail was mostly wooded and had some nice ups and downs to it.

0O7A9880.JPG

Our route took us around Brandywine Gorge; the highlight of which could be considered Brandywine Falls.

If I was included in the design/layout process of the area I would have suggested moving the pedestrian walkway back further so you don't see a linear chunk of concrete at the top of the falls. . . but no one asked my opinion. ;)

Playing with shutter times.

0O7A9886.JPG 0O7A9887.JPG

Infrastructure around the falls was in tip top shape.

0O7A9897.JPG

Different views of the waterfall could be had at different points along the gorge.

0O7A9899.JPG

Not all of the trail was boardwalks and stairs. :)

0O7A9918.JPG

The Stanford Trail did open up near the trailhead. The grove of young walnut trees will probably obscure the sky 50 years from now.

0O7A9926.JPG

Ice cream was enjoyed at the end of this shorter hike. For extra credit we took a quick walk around Deep Lock Quarry after ice cream. The Mrs. wanted to stop at a roadside flea market -- I ordered up a serving of nachos from one of the vendors there.

0O7A9927.JPG 6-17-2023.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0642.jpg

Sunday the 25th I was on my own and wanted to get more distance in, so I repeated my route from a couple weeks ago on the towpath trail.

I parked at the Ira trailhead -- finding a space was much more competitive than I expected it to be early on a Sunday morning.

I walked the towpath from Ira to Peninsula, with a side trip to the abandoned rock quarry this time.

5J5A9736.JPG

Storms and rain were in the forecast, but I had mostly sunny skies to contend with.

0O7A9979.JPG

The beaver marsh and old canal hosted some of the usual suspects.

0O7A9953.JPG

This must have been the place to be if you were a turtle. And I thought finding a spot at the trailhead was a challenge. . .

0O7A9957.JPG

Waiting on the train. The camera remote's range was limited so I think it is time for a new battery.

0O7A9973.JPG

There it is! Check out those Budd Company domed observation cars.

0O7A9967.JPG

Halfway point ice cream -- Blue Cosmo flavor. By now this could be considered a tradition or an addiction. :)

thumbnail_IMG_0664.jpg

BCP Member down by the river.

0O7A9981.JPG

Great Blue Heron hanging out as I neared the Beaver Marsh.

0O7A9989.JPG

As was this snake. The cloudy eyes suggest it may have recently shed its skin.

0O7A9994.JPG

Snapshot of the route from Gaia GPS.

6-25-2023.jpg

The End!

Training hikes the past two weekends have taken me back to Cuyahoga Valley. Rather than write redundant trip reports I'll stuff a summary here in the member's thread.

Still lugging the 45lb. pack holding weights and concrete pavers around; thinking I might start swapping in some actual camping gear to better balance things out.

The Canon R5 with 24-70mm lens was used both days. I hope to haul this combo down Yellowstone's Thorofare in August as my luxury item.

Saturday, June 17th Mrs. TractorDoc and I walked a patchwork of trails to Brandywine Falls.

View attachment 122331

The Stanford Trail was mostly wooded and had some nice ups and downs to it.

View attachment 122332

Our route took us around Brandywine Gorge; the highlight of which could be considered Brandywine Falls.

If I was included in the design/layout process of the area I would have suggested moving the pedestrian walkway back further so you don't see a linear chunk of concrete at the top of the falls. . . but no one asked my opinion. ;)

Playing with shutter times.

View attachment 122333 View attachment 122334

Infrastructure around the falls was in tip top shape.

View attachment 122335

Different views of the waterfall could be had at different points along the gorge.

View attachment 122336

Not all of the trail was boardwalks and stairs. :)

View attachment 122337

The Stanford Trail did open up near the trailhead. The grove of young walnut trees will probably obscure the sky 50 years from now.

View attachment 122338

Ice cream was enjoyed at the end of this shorter hike. For extra credit we took a quick walk around Deep Lock Quarry after ice cream. The Mrs. wanted to stop at a roadside flea market -- I ordered up a serving of nachos from one of the vendors there.

View attachment 122339 View attachment 122340 View attachment 122350

Sunday the 25th I was on my own and wanted to get more distance in, so I repeated my route from a couple weeks ago on the towpath trail.

I parked at the Ira trailhead -- finding a space was much more competitive than I expected it to be early on a Sunday morning.

I walked the towpath from Ira to Peninsula, with a side trip to the abandoned rock quarry this time.

View attachment 122352

Storms and rain were in the forecast, but I had mostly sunny skies to contend with.

View attachment 122345

The beaver marsh and old canal hosted some of the usual suspects.

View attachment 122341

This must have been the place to be if you were a turtle. And I thought finding a spot at the trailhead was a challenge. . .

View attachment 122342

Waiting on the train. The camera remote's range was limited so I think it is time for a new battery.

View attachment 122344

There it is! Check out those Budd Company domed observation cars.

View attachment 122343

Halfway point ice cream -- Blue Cosmo flavor. By now this could be considered a tradition or an addiction. :)

View attachment 122351

BCP Member down by the river.

View attachment 122346

Great Blue Heron hanging out as I neared the Beaver Marsh.

View attachment 122347

As was this snake. The cloudy eyes suggest it may have recently shed its skin.

View attachment 122348

Snapshot of the route from Gaia GPS.

View attachment 122357

The End!

Another snapper!