the grumpy thread

I think you guys need to buy some snowboards!! I have been praying for more snow and am hoping that we can keep it until April. Looking forward to summer fun yes.....but loving the snow we do have and I will cry when it goes away. As my 13 year old said yesterday as we were on the slopes "this is the first year I am not just hoping for winter to end and summer to be here". So, when winter finally ends I will shed some tears, put the boards away, and then.....after a few weeks.....THEN I'll start looking forward to the warm weather outings. :)

No board zone here...........................................have skiis.

Reactions: Opi
I think you guys need to buy some snowboards!!
I do have down hill skis. But down hill skiing around here sucks! Sucks bad! Compared to out west. I do have about 180 days of skiing in the rocky mountains at different resorts. Mainly I got spoiled going out west. And to take a family of 5 skiing these days to a little crappy ski resort around here is just not worth the cost and it's just not that fun. Or take them out west to ski for a week, now that's fun! I will be dropping at least 5 to 10K.
I need to move out west, plain and simple. Plan is in 10 years we will be moving out West. I need to get through these winters in the mean time. So I was thinking starting with snowshoe gear for next winter. And I would love to get some backcountry skis also. All in do time. And I think this would help with the winter grump.

Great thread, thanks Steve. Yes, I am also feeling a strong case of the blues, been since October since I was out in the desert! :( Cruising through the trip reports on this site has definitely kept me going but also made me jones more & more to get out. Unfortunately didn't have time at all to take a trip during those beautiful weekends we had in late January & early/mid February. Would've been perfect!

I'm hoping to take my first trip the weekend of March 13, weather pending, and am mulling a few options - Bull Bottom/Keg Spring/Horseshoe Canyon area, Reds Canyon Loop & Temple Mountain area, or Upper Calf Canyon and Box Flat area in the Swell. Been to all those spots before but have some new hiking targets at each. We'll see. Hope to run into a few of you out there!

No board zone here...........................................have skiis.

No problem Bob....I have skis and am a great skier also, I just like boarding better. But....the point is not to fire up that debate but to say that riding a plank or planks is a great and what keeps me from getting the winter blues. I love the desert and backpacking in the mountains....but having winter "loves" keeps me from aching for summer and helps me to enjoy winter. I have done plenty of winter camping and I consider it more of a challenge than fun, and for me it is no cure for the blues.

@Opi I hear ya. I have raised/am raising 5 snowboarders. Even without the travel costs that you would have it is still ~$600 for us to spend a day at Jackson or Sun Valley. And lets not get started on the gear. But....it sure is nice to LOVE when the snow hits and cry when it leaves.....only to be happy when the warm weather arrives too!!