the grumpy thread

I find myself being a little grumpy (both online and in day to day life) lately, which usually means it's been too long since I last got out, and my next trip is too far away. The great outdoors always helps me reset and put things back into priority. I'm getting restless and I need to get out.

If you're feeling grumpy, you've probably got the "I haven't been camping in a while" blues. Have a seat on the therapy couch and let it all out.

Sometimes I get grumpy regardless of how recently I've been outdoors playing. Maybe you've got too much on your plate and you just need to disconnect from everything for a short period of time. You must be really busy if you can barely get your meals in. Maybe force yourself to chill for a few hours. Maybe a movie. Or dinner with Tess. Or veg out and watch some Netflix. Maybe go play some sports? Do you need any help around the house? Let me (us) know and maybe we can serve you and help out. =)

Maybe you've got too much on your plate and you just need to disconnect from everything for a short period of time. You must be really busy if you can barely get your meals in.

Lots of good advice. This is definitely where I'm at right now. I'd like to get my house on the market asap, but there's a lot that needs to be done before that can happen. I could really use a day off, but that just delays the date we can get it on the market. We're close, but the days of showing the house do not sound fun. I can't wait 'till this process is over.

Went by the outdoor show. Definetly geared toward hunting.
Highlights:
Utah Office of Tourism was there so I got some stuff to read/look at about Canyonlands/Needles for our pack rafting trip next month.
A company had a small flashlight with 1000 lumens. It was pretty cool.

And this thing looked sweet. They wouldn't let me drive it around though...jerks.
image.jpg

The world record grizzly bear was here, but someone killed him.
image.jpg

These light up paddles looked cool.
image.jpg

And Ty Detmer is here signing autographs. But I've met him before.
And I got some more stickers for my garage fridge.
So that's it.

I'm more than restless than grumpy because of university I simply can't get out. I'll squeeze in a few days mid March for Springbreak, but that's all until May. Awful perspectives.
I just want to play a bit and let off steam. Can't wait until the semester is over and I actually have a life again

I'm not trying to give you guys a hard time or anything, but I don't understand what's keeping you guys indoors? Judging by the trip reports I've seen from the southwest this time of year, it looks like a great time to get out. Isn't there a saying about every trail having four tales to tell, one for each season, or something like that. I'm pretty sure there is, if there's not, there should be.

Well I can only speak for myself, but it's mostly the lack of light at this time of year that seems to adversely effect my mood. I try to get out as much as I can, but even when I manage to get out a lot I still never feel 100% until the end of February/March.

I've always told my wife I want to live in the Northwest, but I've realized the last few winters that I could not handle the gray and drab weather.

*sits down on the therapy couch* My employer did a workforce reduction this week. I didn't make the cut. :(

Looking on the bright side, limited vacation time is no longer an issue. Assuming my industry stays depressed for a while, I'll be planning an epic roadtrip for April. I'll need recommendations, so start thinking of your favorite hikes in southern Utah, northern New Mexico, southwestern Colorado, and possibly northern Arizona!

x2, way to make lemons out of lemonade. Sorry to hear about that.

On a related note, I just discovered kid president today, and I'm no longer grumpy. Stressed? Yes. But happier.

Sorry @piper01. You've got a positive mindset which tells me you'll be just fine. Besides.. sounds like your hiking plans just got a promotion.

Went by the outdoor show. Definetly geared toward hunting.
Highlights:
Utah Office of Tourism was there so I got some stuff to read/look at about Canyonlands/Needles for our pack rafting trip next month.
A company had a small flashlight with 1000 lumens. It was pretty cool.

And this thing looked sweet. They wouldn't let me drive it around though...jerks.
View attachment 27239

The world record grizzly bear was here, but someone killed him.
View attachment 27240

These light up paddles looked cool.
View attachment 27242

And Ty Detmer is here signing autographs. But I've met him before.
And I got some more stickers for my garage fridge.
So that's it.

Man more lights.....It's gonna e L.A. out there eventually.......wait use the paddles in the ocean they'll attract the sharks.. :lol:

@piper01 sorry to hear about your job, very excited to hear about your trip.

i'll take the opportunity to vent. i've got a girl friend. she keeps on wanting to go hiking with me on the week ends, but she has a habit of losing interest after an hour or two. being ready to go back home. while i'd like to keep walking until it gets dark out during days like these. and i know she's got no interest in making the walk back to the car by her self, or in sitting there alone waiting for me to get back. i asked her the other day if she ever thought about bringing any one else out with us, so that she could walk with them if i wanted to walk more, but she said no, because liked spending the time just the two of us. it's been a some what busy winter, and i haven't been able to hike like i'd want to since october, the last time i was in the sawtooths. i don't know what to do about it. may be i'll get lucky this week end and home work will keep her at home on sunday and solve the problem for me.

Would she enjoy hiking with other women? My wife probably understands how you feel; she can hike twice as far as I can on any given day.

I enjoy hiking more when I'm with a small group, rather than just 1 or 2 people. I also prefer hikes when I get to spend the night on the trail. I'll do the occasional day hike, but usually if I'm not spending the night, I don't hike. I wonder if your girl is like me in that regard.

@piper01 sorry to hear about your job, very excited to hear about your trip.

i'll take the opportunity to vent. i've got a girl friend. she keeps on wanting to go hiking with me on the week ends, but she has a habit of losing interest after an hour or two. being ready to go back home. while i'd like to keep walking until it gets dark out during days like these. and i know she's got no interest in making the walk back to the car by her self, or in sitting there alone waiting for me to get back. i asked her the other day if she ever thought about bringing any one else out with us, so that she could walk with them if i wanted to walk more, but she said no, because liked spending the time just the two of us. it's been a some what busy winter, and i haven't been able to hike like i'd want to since october, the last time i was in the sawtooths. i don't know what to do about it. may be i'll get lucky this week end and home work will keep her at home on sunday and solve the problem for me.

Tell her you have a special surprise waiting at some peak or view point. Then pack your stove and whatever it takes to make a bit of a gourmet backcountry dinner. Make a favorite meal of hers if you can. Hiking back in the dark will also make for a good memory.

Oh, and be sure to take up a tarp or something to shelter you from any wind. I learned that the hard way.

Still, it worked out when I did it with my wife when we were dating. Now, most recently, I got her to hike a 65 mile route last year.

Reactions: Ben
Tell her you have a special surprise waiting at some peak or view point.
She might get the wrong idea...ehmm ring or that other thing men like to do:whistle:

The trails are my playground not my wifes. We've been together for 28 years so a lot of solo time is ok for me:wavespin:. It's my time away. She likes me better when I come back from my excursions. So that's good. But I do take her out here and there. I'm kinda lucky where we are pretty equally matched when it comes to hiking. We also go running together once or twice a week. That's our time together. Not so much in the winter though. To fricken cold around here! And I'm not set up with winter gear.... yet! I really can not take another winter and not getting out. Maybe next year I plan a winter get away.
Her first backpacking trip this year. A 65 mile section on the AT in June. Will do TR.

Anyway talk about grumpy!
I have not been out since early November! going on 4 months. Probably be 3 to 4 weeks yet if I'm lucky before I get out.
So what do I do but plan and plan and buy gear and look at gear and buy more gear and buy maps and study maps and buy more gear and maps and then study maps oh and make lists and doing this. I got trips planed for the next 20 years. I'm always buying new maps of an area to study and check logistics. My wife thinks I have a problem. I tell her it keeps me sane until I can get out.

Last edited:
Not to rain on the spring fever parade, but I am still enjoying winter. I'm not quite ready for spring, though that will probably change in a few weeks. In years past when I wasn't able to ski for one reason or another by the end of February I feel like I am going insane, so I know how you all feel.

I would suggest taking up snow shoeing , cross country skiing or even just grabbing a pair of yaktracks and finding some trails to get out on all winter long. Even in real shitty inversion years if I can get out of the gunk once or twice a week I can survive. :)