the grumpy thread

steve

I find myself being a little grumpy (both online and in day to day life) lately, which usually means it's been too long since I last got out, and my next trip is too far away. The great outdoors always helps me reset and put things back into priority. I'm getting restless and I need to get out.

If you're feeling grumpy, you've probably got the "I haven't been camping in a while" blues. Have a seat on the therapy couch and let it all out.

Getting ready to sell the house and prepping for a move is really taking it's toll on me. I hardly have time to eat meals, let alone get out and enjoy nature...

I can't wait for my white rim trip mid march and my packraft trip late march!

I remember seeing ads for that. Has anyone been? I think that would help, if only I had time! It seemed less geared towards backpackers, so I kinda steered away. I'll have to look into it.

it looked more like a hunting expo to me. Let us know how it goes.

I'm grumpy and restless, too. Happens every time this time of year. Just can't wait to get the hell outta here and shoot (photos only) hike, and whatever else outdoors. I've already run off at the drop of the hat to the Owens Valley and am about to do it again. In the meantime, here's what I've been doing to amuse myself:
Big Splash 2 Laura Zirino.jpg

Oh dude, I feel the same way. Winter is always a struggle for me, but towards the end of February I usually feel my mood begin to lift with the longer and warmer days. I really need to start planning some fun stuff this time of year.

I know we need the water but I was secretly loving the stretch of warm and dry days we had through January/February.

Try getting your knee replaced at the start of winter and then tell me how you feel come late February! :)

As far as I'm concerned, the season starts NEXT WEEKEND and all grumpiness should die a quick death! I'm really hoping to see some fresh cottonwood leaves popping out again like I did last year. Where's everyone going for their first trip of spring? I'm probably headed to the lower Escalante for an easy-ish backpack to test out the new knee.

wingate-goodness-41-jpg.15522

My first big trip is backpacking into the Needle end of March with a few days of playing around Arches before that.

I just reserved a camping spot at Watchman campground in Zion for next weekend. It looks like it should be nice and I need to get out of here.

Oh dude, I feel the same way. Winter is always a struggle for me, but towards the end of February I usually feel my mood begin to lift with the longer and warmer days. I really need to start planning some fun stuff this time of year.

I know we need the water but I was secretly loving the stretch of warm and dry days we had through January/February.

It usually takes me towards the end of March for my mood to lift.

Winter was always tough for me when I was a kid in those ancient times long ago. Then I started skiing, quickly became a diehard addict and I looked forward to winter more than any other season. I pretty much bagged skiing about a decade back (still get in an occasional backcountry run) but the appeal of winter has definitely worn off a bit. The only way I stay sane (ok, that's subjective) is head up the Bridger's for a daily hike-usually someplace between 2 and 6 miles. Not a real substitute for a backpacking trip but keeps the grinches at bay and sort of keeps one in shape (ok, that's subjective too). Temp last night was near zero again and somehow, calendar be damned, spring seems a long ways off.

Winter didn't used to bother me, but I find that I like it less and less as I get older. I am starting to understand why so many people retire to Arizona and Florida. It would probably help if I picked up skiing again, but I just can't afford to go to the resorts, and am too afraid of the back country in the winter.

Going on a quick 1 hour hike each morning before work the past 2-3 weeks has really helped.

I remember seeing ads for that. Has anyone been? I think that would help, if only I had time! It seemed less geared towards backpackers, so I kinda steered away. I'll have to look into it.

My interest faded too when I looked at most of the vendors and booths being more geared to hunting and fishing.

I'm not trying to give you guys a hard time or anything, but I don't understand what's keeping you guys indoors? Judging by the trip reports I've seen from the southwest this time of year, it looks like a great time to get out. Isn't there a saying about every trail having four tales to tell, one for each season, or something like that. I'm pretty sure there is, if there's not, there should be.

Having made the choice many years ago to live in MI., I enjoy all 4 seasons. I'll be winter camping a week from today...in the snow.....temps below 0*....and love it. Yes I spend a great deal of time planning "big trips" that are too far off, but for the record my glass is always half full....unless this happens. Then there will be hell to pay!
coffee spilling.jpg

Last edited: