The full-time RV dream

We have great philosophical conversations about what it means to "camp". Sometimes we are, sometimes we aren't. Right now, we are just "living in the RV" and that's OK sometimes too. We're getting the bank accounts looking better and getting better prepared for another round out west in the fall.

We have a saying - "the type of your adventure is determined by your tolerance for being inconvenienced." My wife is not, and never will be, a hardcore tent camper/hiker/ outdoorsy gal. She will tell you straight out she is a homebody, so I put wheels under the home. For us the inconveniences of an RV were the best compromise for more adventurous life with kids than living in the suburbs.

Once we get out and get the "home" in prettier and more rustic spots I can get her out for exploration, hikes and outdoor time.

I'm also a big guy and am almost always uncomfortable outside of my home when it comes to furnishings and workspace. If I fit better, it might work better. Something to keep in the back of your mind though.

RV's can be customized to suit - I'd be surprised if you couldn't fit one out to be comfy. We put Ikea furniture on the inside and I built me a stand-up desk on the outside:
Boyink-Office-3.jpg

I apologize if I sounded too judgemental and sorry to get you on a rant. Perhaps 'frown" was the wrong choice of word. I certainly don't disrespect any who choose an RV, no matter their circumstance.

Ah no worries man. It's just something I've been thinking a lot about lately so I felt like delving into it. I have a knack for ranting sometimes. I had a guy I work with recently talk to me about how he was thinking about buying a pop-up camper so that his wife and kids would be happy but that it would be such a terrible thing to do because it's not tent camping or backpacking. It's just that pre-conceived notion that I think most of us hikers/backpackers have of RV camping. I'm still getting over the idea of it myself. Hell, I've liked boat camping so much that I've thought about buying a timeshare on a houseboat. That's still more hassle than I want to take on, but I am getting a custom canvas camper enclosure made for my boat next week. I love camping on that thing! :)

It's just that pre-conceived notion that I think most of us hikers/backpackers have of RV camping.

That's what I still think of RVing. BUt primarily because I haven't evene considered it. I probably never will, but might at one point buy a pop up camper. Who knows?

I'll going on an extended 5 weeks road trip this summer - with my tent.
I might see things different after this trip to the Dakokas, Montana, Idaho and Wyoming, maybe I even wish I would have a different place to stay at than a tent.

Due to my knees I will never be able to backpack more than 3-4 nights again and therefore concentrate more on car camping trips. They are great, I never thought it would be. It also means that I might change my mind towards RV camping, too. ;)

Love the videos! Fender is an awesome dog!!!

Have you looked at camper trailers? I mention it because my Sister and her husband lived in one for over 2 years. His job took him all over the US and they would be in an area for a couple of months up to a year. They lived in Texas (Galveston) on the coast for about a year and about 10 months on the Oregon coast (Newport) and some other places. They absolutely loved it!!! They had a nice big 5th-wheel trailer with the pop-outs. They liked the trailer because they could park it and then run around in the truck which allowed them to go to a lot more locations than you could in an RV.

I've always frowned upon younger people in RVs out in campgrounds and outdoor destinations. Not sure why, but I guess I think they're cheating and questioned what purpose there was in toting around all that luxury if you're objective is to spend a majority of the time being outdoors and what not. I've questioned why they don't just stay home or stay in a motel if it's luxurious comfort and convenience they want. That, and I've never enjoyed the roaring sound of generators going when I'm tent camping next to them in campgrounds. However, with full-time cross country adventuring, I think it totally makes sense. I also give those that get one as a way to spend their retirement and even those with younger children who spend a whole summer (or much longer) touring a number of states, parks, etc. a pass with them as well. From those I've been in, I've been impressed and amazed at how much luxury can be packed into those things.

I'll have to watch your videos on this new experiment you and @Tess are pursuing later. Definitely sounds fun, despite some of the obstacles and downsides you may be facing. If there's one thing I've learned about life, it is this: for just about every advantage, there comes a disadvantage; for every benefit, there is a drawback; for every pro, a con; for every blessing, a sacrifice. In the mean time, this country, let alone the world, is too big (and/or too expensive) to see, discover, and explore all of it in one lifetime. Props to all who can experience as much of it as possible while making great friends and other discoveries in the process.

Pretty much my thoughts also. Both of my neighbors with whom we are good friends with have bought 5th wheel RV's over the last 5 years. And while a couple individuals in that group will still do day hikes, for the most part none of them get off the accompanying ATV's. I don't see a lot of difference between "camping" at home in the burbs or "camping" in a RV. Just moving the burbs to the woods with all the associated noise, traffic, and numerous other distractions of daily life that we go camping to avoid. And the same reason we will never be part of an organized off-road gathering. Anything more than 2 or 3 vehicles and you have again just moved the burbs to the woods.

I hope you both enjoy the road, lot's of adventures there.
We saw this at a film festival last year, different way of looking at small mobile housing:

http://tiny-themovie.com/

We also saw this one some years ago, an even more different take on the idea, only this guy did it 60 years ago (warning: the guy is kind of a nut job IMO):

http://www.magpictures.com/surfwise/

I just found this thread and haven't watched the videos yet, but I can't wait to hear about your and Tess's adventures. Look up a photographer on flickr named Mike Jones Photos or www.mikejonesphotos.com He sold his house and has been living in an RV ever since, taking photographs for calendars. If that isn't a dream job, I don't know what is. But kudos to you guys for creating your own version of the perfect life. I can see retirement around the corner (6 more years and I can start getting my pension!) so that keeps me anchored right now, but as you can see I take off for a trip just about every two months. I'm in full hate SoCal mode, but the great thing about the high housing prices is you can sell your place here and buy a place outright in a cheaper state, which is just about anywhere else. I think we'll rent our places and use the money to hop around various towns for extended periods of time, deciding which one we like. I think there are a lot of us who are looking forward to unshackling. :D

one thing I'll say is that a 3-4 day weekend in an RV is about 10x more work and even less comfortable than just going backpacking. It's a big hassle to pack all that crap in there, then unpack it 3 days later. It's akin to those people who camp one night with the 60 lb 10-man tent with everyone on inflatable queen mattresses. I don't shun people who do it, but man, that's a lot of work for a single night. I think less is more when camping.

I have zero desires to get an RV unless I'm going to live in it full time, that's for sure. Not that there's anything wrong with anyone else doing that, it's just not the way I'd like to get out when I get out.

When I get an RV, it'll have a tow-behind 4x4 to explore and run around town in, etc. I don't want to drive the RV to my hiking destinations, that's what the 4x4 would be for.

We've looked into 5th wheels quite a bit, but they're bigger than I want, and they usually require a $40k truck to tow them with.

Right now we're considering buying an old retired school bus and building it into a small house to fit our needs. We'll see, it all depends on my ability to make money on the road. It's definitely not cheaper to live the RV life, that's for sure.

one thing I'll say is that a 3-4 day weekend in an RV is about 10x more work and even less comfortable than just going backpacking. It's a big hassle to pack all that crap in there, then unpack it 3 days later. It's akin to those people who camp one night with the 60 lb 10-man tent with everyone on inflatable queen mattresses. I don't shun people who do it, but man, that's a lot of work for a single night. I think less is more when camping.

I have zero desires to get an RV unless I'm going to live in it full time, that's for sure. Not that there's anything wrong with anyone else doing that, it's just not the way I'd like to get out when I get out.

I used to think that was the case, until we just decided to hit up the dollar store and Walmart and fully stock the RV. Now from the time I pull down my street to the time I am parked and fully unpacked (mainly just food and clothes) is about 40 minutes. I can also get home on a Friday and decide to head up to the Uintas on a whim. Just toss some clothes and hit up the grocery store on the way up.

Full disclosure though, I really felt like a sellout at first. I always said a tent and a pack was enough for me. But after 3 kids we gave the RV thing a shot and after 3 years I am convert. I still love to get my backpack days in, but it's pretty nice to be sitting under the awning in the rain having a beer while the food is cooking in the Dutch Oven. Sleeping on a real mattress and having a furnace ain't too bad either. But maybe I am just getting old fat and lazy? :)

Oh and Nick, we took the opposite approach as you. Had a boat for a few years and ended up never using it but paying a lot to keep it maintained. Finally sold it to buy the RV. To each their own I say.

Oh and Nick, we took the opposite approach as you. Had a boat for a few years and ended up never using it but paying a lot to keep it maintained. Finally sold it to buy the RV. To each their own I say.

I'm probably not that far behind on the RV, but I sure do like the boat right now. I'm consciously using it to the max while I have it though. If I do that for X years and feel I got what I wanted out of it, I'll be happy to move on. So far I find it to be pretty low maintenance though. Might be a little easier since it's just an outboard motor, not a real I/O setup. I just did my 100 hour service by myself. First oil change I've ever done on any engine! The real expense with the boat is towing it. Usually more to do that to Powell and back than it is to run around there for 4-5 days.

After a lot of years (66) and having the time to do a lot of tent camping last year I decided that this year having an rv as a base would provided me a lot of opportunity for going and staying and thoroughly enjoying places with a lot less strain than tent camping. I was gradually doing a lot more car camping and setting up a basecamp and then taking day hikes each year. Since the start of the year I have already put over 40 nights out with only 4 of those hooked up to power or in a developed site. I camped every day of March in S Utah and S Nevada and have been really glad of my decision. The only downside is the limited clearance of the travel trailer and my willingness to subject it to poor road conditions. It will go anywhere that a 2 wheel drive will go so it does have its limits. The upsides are immense. Long day hikes are capped off with effortless meals from the fridge or freezer, showers, a full queen size bead, great stereo, heat, working toilet and sink etc. 30 days straight was becoming hard from a fatigue factor. Not now. Nothing beats the solitude and joy of a backpacking trip but for car access camping an rv can't be beat. Here's a couple of shots of basecamps my buddy and I had in March. Just us, no traffic, no problem. We managed to hike over 250 miles from these basecamps to boot

Some shots:
From S NevadaP1010006.jpgP1010023.jpg P1010026.jpg P1010082.jpg P1010043.jpg P1010063.jpg

I really love the idea of the full time RV dream. My retirement dream (or sooner if I could afford it) is to buy an Earth Roamer or Unicat on either an International Workstar or Unimog 1300 chassis and use it as basically a traveling off-road home on wheels to go backpacking all over the country. Maybe not full time but at least part time. Great thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now we're considering buying an old retired school bus and building it into a small house to fit our needs.

Ahhhhh ....... sounds like the 60s early 70s...... hehe