The full-time RV dream

I admire this dream, big time. One thought though. As someone who has been living the life of full-time self employment for almost 2 years now, I would be very worried about keeping up a workload out of an RV. I have a hard enough time keeping on it with a cozy home office with all the amenities. Just roll out of bed and walk upstairs to 'work' but productivity on your own can be a real challenge. I've had to really work on my office feng shui to keep myself in work mode and maintain productivity. Whenever I try to work in a hotel room or something I can't seem to get done anything more than what absolutely must get done. I don't think I could get work done in an RV. Keep in mind, I'm also a big guy and am almost always uncomfortable outside of my home when it comes to furnishings and workspace. If I fit better, it might work better. Something to keep in the back of your mind though.

I fully intend on watching these videos tomorrow. I've actually been talking to Rick recently about the possibility of living in an RV. More from an affordability standpoint since you can get a decent RV for cheaper than a decent home. Then you have the added bonus of a home away from home when you travel. I've also never actually spent any time in an RV, so I think your idea of renting one to check it out is great. Looking forward to the video!

Thanks. It all comes down to whether or not I can find a great job where i can work from home. it won't be all sunshine and roses, that's for sure. I'm afraid it'll get really lonely with all our friends and family behind, but I think we'll meet some new friends along the way. Rather than staying in a new campsite each night, we plan on spending a few weeks, and even a few months, in each area to get a good idea what it's like (and to hike more than a trail or two).
Hey - I saw this thread in my Google analytics so thought I'd jump in, say thanks for the link to our Ditching Suburbia site...but also answer a few questions.

On being lonely - we actually have more friends, and better friendships with those friends now than when we live in the suburbs. With other travelers the conversations are deeper faster because you know you've got a more limited time with them.

Your plan to stay a while is a good one. Moving every night would be exhausting. We moved every 3-4 days on average our first year out and have slowed down even more since.

I also wonder - rather than looking for a job can you start your own business doing what you do? That would be ideal - then you set your own hours and expectations rather than trying to live up to someone elses.

I've talked about doing this with my wife. With 3 kids it's just not feasible, even though my job would easily allow me to work from anywhere. Someday.... someday.

Only three kids? ;)

Our friends fulltime RV with 11 kids: http://ourtravelingtribe.com/ Awesome family, the kind of kids you want yours to hang with, they do disaster recovery part of the year and construction work the other.

What do you see as obstacles with your three?

Am I the only one not interested in this the slightest? I don't mind travelling but I have to have my roots down. I take pride in "owning" my own piece of land. Should sign on my lease later in the year which is a 70 acre horse farm, doesn't get any better than that.

I also wonder - rather than looking for a job can you start your own business doing what you do? That would be ideal - then you set your own hours and expectations rather than trying to live up to someone elses.

Great advice, thanks! I'm hoping to start 2 businesses soon, we'll see how they do.

Am I the only one not interested in this the slightest? I don't mind travelling but I have to have my roots down. I take pride in "owning" my own piece of land. Should sign on my lease later in the year which is a 70 acre horse farm, doesn't get any better than that.

To each their own. Life would be boring if we all wanted the same things and had the same opinions. I can definitely see the appeal of a 70 acre horse farm. Maybe someday I'll settle down on a piece of land, but for now I don't know enough about what I want or where I want to live.

I'm sure Ohio is different, but here in Utah, urban sprawl is killing me. I understand why people want to move here, and with the job market, there's plenty of jobs for the people moving in, it's beautiful, and the recreation opportunities are endless. However, if I were to buy a 2 acre lot next to a nice field, in 5 years it'd be a housing tract next door and I'd lose all my views.

70 acres here would cost millions, not in my budget now or ever.

Don't worry, there will be plenty more Utah trips before then. It's going to take a while to build our bus, and we still plan on lots of trips in the mean time.

Plus, we plan on hanging around Utah a lot in our travels. I think our first loop will be Utah --> Colorado --> Idaho --> Washington --> Oregon --> California --> Nevada --> Utah.

I'm highly interested in this but not so I can do the same thing. I really like having a house, and lots of dogs, and making home comfy with a nice place to sit and a big screen TV to curl up in front of on Sunday night after a fun adventure. It's one of the best parts of leaving home - coming back! But I still admire and watch this kind of thing with great interest. :)

I really like having a house, and lots of dogs, and making home comfy with a nice place to sit and a big screen TV to curl up in front of on Sunday night after a fun adventure. It's one of the best parts of leaving home - coming back! But I still admire and watch this kind of thing with great interest. :)

I'm banking on the fact that my RV/bus won't be a comfy home with a nice place to sit and curl up in front of a TV. Maybe that'll help me stay motivated on my work. :)

Hey - I saw this thread in my Google analytics so thought I'd jump in, say thanks for the link to our Ditching Suburbia site...but also answer a few questions.

Hi Mike. Figured you would be a good reference here!

About the dream of stability and the 70 acres: it comes with one hell of a time investment attached. My wife and I live on a relatively scenic place, big enough to suck up every spare minute and most of the discretionary income, but still too small and rough to actually make any money from it unless perhaps we went into the clear cut business. If it wasn't family, we would be perfectly content with something far smaller. The largest benefit of our place is just the ability to head out the back door and hike for miles-alone.

Just checked out your new website you linked in your sig steve. I gotta say, I'm pretty excited to follow you guys on this adventure. Hoping for the best for you. If you go all in and pick up an RV and ever decide to drive cross-country I'd love to show you guys around some hiking spots in the northeast and around NYC.

I'm banking on the fact that my RV/bus won't be a comfy home with a nice place to sit and curl up in front of a TV. Maybe that'll help me stay motivated on my work. :)
Personally a travel trailer that you can leave parked and then go places from your basecamp with the tow vehicle has provided me with the most opportunities to get into activities without having to move your "home" to go hike or fish or float. You can't get to Egypt trailhead in most rvs but can in you tow vehicle. Its the best of both worlds for the same cash outlay. On another note check out the movie "Tiny" on netflix http://www.netflix.com/WiPlayer?mov...ec3a:d2198df34080f7dbca1bde57a72ff53d2f36d842

Some great home choices for those seeking to avoid the life squandering mortgage chains.

I've always frowned upon younger people in RVs out in campgrounds and outdoor destinations. Not sure why, but I guess I think they're cheating and questioned what purpose there was in toting around all that luxury if you're objective is to spend a majority of the time being outdoors and what not. I've questioned why they don't just stay home or stay in a motel if it's luxurious comfort and convenience they want. That, and I've never enjoyed the roaring sound of generators going when I'm tent camping next to them in campgrounds. However, with full-time cross country adventuring, I think it totally makes sense. I also give those that get one as a way to spend their retirement and even those with younger children who spend a whole summer (or much longer) touring a number of states, parks, etc. a pass with them as well. From those I've been in, I've been impressed and amazed at how much luxury can be packed into those things.

I'll have to watch your videos on this new experiment you and @Tess are pursuing later. Definitely sounds fun, despite some of the obstacles and downsides you may be facing. If there's one thing I've learned about life, it is this: for just about every advantage, there comes a disadvantage; for every benefit, there is a drawback; for every pro, a con; for every blessing, a sacrifice. In the mean time, this country, let alone the world, is too big (and/or too expensive) to see, discover, and explore all of it in one lifetime. Props to all who can experience as much of it as possible while making great friends and other discoveries in the process.

I've always frowned upon younger people in RVs out in campgrounds and outdoor destinations. Not sure why, but I guess I think they're cheating and questioned what purpose there was in toting around all that luxury if you're objective is to spend a majority of the time being outdoors and what not. I've questioned why they don't just stay home or stay in a motel if it's luxurious comfort and convenience they want. That, and I've never enjoyed the roaring sound of generators going when I'm tent camping next to them in campgrounds.

I've never been RV camping. Well, I've camped outside of someone else's a couple times, but I've never slept in one or anything. YET. They aren't really my cup of tea either, but I don't think it's fair to frown on people who prefer that style of 'camping'. For you it may not make sense, but I think whatever gets people out and exploring is all that matters. There are places for campers with generators and places for backpackers to thrive with no lights or sounds for miles. And I think that's a good thing. Over the last year, I've finally found my wife's 'sweet spot' when it comes to camping. It meant buying a boat. I'm sure there are plenty of people who think it's wasteful, loud, inefficient, etc. etc. but frankly, I don't give a damn. I camped more with my wife last year than ever before and we were both really happy doing it. WIN! I could now totally see myself buying a small camper someday to pull around in the shoulder seasons when it's a little too cold still or the nights are too long. I'll still get in more adventurous trips with friends, but I'll happily suck up my pride and sleep in a camper to spend more quality time with my family and make everyone happy doing it. Doing what works for you, your family and happiness is far more important than living up to some ideal of being the picture perfect camper. And it's still way better than staying at home. Just my opinion, of course. Sorry for the rant.

I've never been RV camping. Well, I've camped outside of someone else's a couple times, but I've never slept in one or anything. YET. They aren't really my cup of tea either, but I don't think it's fair to frown on people who prefer that style of 'camping'. For you it may not make sense, but I think whatever gets people out and exploring is all that matters. There are places for campers with generators and places for backpackers to thrive with no lights or sounds for miles. And I think that's a good thing. Over the last year, I've finally found my wife's 'sweet spot' when it comes to camping. It meant buying a boat. I'm sure there are plenty of people who think it's wasteful, loud, inefficient, etc. etc. but frankly, I don't give a damn. I camped more with my wife last year than ever before and we were both really happy doing it. WIN! I could now totally see myself buying a small camper someday to pull around in the shoulder seasons when it's a little too cold still or the nights are too long. I'll still get in more adventurous trips with friends, but I'll happily suck up my pride and sleep in a camper to spend more quality time with my family and make everyone happy doing it. Doing what works for you, your family and happiness is far more important than living up to some ideal of being the picture perfect camper. And it's still way better than staying at home. Just my opinion, of course. Sorry for the rant.

I apologize if I sounded too judgemental and sorry to get you on a rant. Perhaps 'frown" was the wrong choice of word. I certainly don't disrespect any who choose an RV, no matter their circumstance. RVs certainly have their perks. I was just describing my initial feelings about RV use from the past before I went on with the rest of my post, which I had hoped was clear that I was becoming more forgiving of their use and understanding of why they are so appealing for so many in certain situations. Of course, I'll agree, that even among younger folks going on short trips, if that's what it takes to get them out for even just a little bit, it's better than not getting out at all and that whatever works best for one's family, the better the memories will be. I know my kids would absolutely love 'camping' in an RV, but then I'm afraid they'd be more inclined to stay cozy inside watching movies and playing games and so on the whole time rather then getting out of it to explore the landscape surrounding them and getting out to where they can fully hear the peaceful sounds of nature.

I'm glad to hear that you've been able to enjoy many more camping trips with your wife because of the boat. Sounds like that boat is having a great return on the investment. As you implied, I'm sure the same can be said of those who make such an investment into an RV and I certainly hope that all who do purchase an RV are able enjoy a similar return among those they share it with.