Album The dogs of backcountrypost.com

My condolences Artemus. We had a border collie that was Luna's twin. Darby was a really great dog too. Best with cattle that we ever had.

51263623809_497a400d2b_3k.jpg
Thanks John, how much did Darby weigh? Luna was a runt, at 30#. Darby had the same focus it seems. Did you train Darby to herd? Luna took sheep herding lessons but only for a short while. She was a natural but we weren't about to get any sheep! :) Her main job was to carry a chew toy on the trail instead.

A backcountry dog requiem:
La Bella Luna,
- we said goodbye two weeks ago to our little Luna after 14 years of life through which she greatly enhanced ours. She left peacefully and we will never be over her. Her hallmarks were intelligence, athleticism and focus. She never failed to do her "job" whatever it was we asked her to do. She was the first real border collie temperament and focus-wise of our 4 or 5 border collie rescues. She has graced this thread many times but here are a few more photos.
View attachment 99352View attachment 99351View attachment 99353View attachment 99355View attachment 99354

Oh man Art! I'm so sorry to hear about Luna. It's always one of the toughest things we go through when we lose our furry family members. It is sad but I know she was loved by you guys.

On a happier note, Rowdy the Adventure Cat thinks he's a dog. He loves hanging out in the storage unit of my rig (the overhead part where I keep everything - I sleep on the couch). The green thing is his outdoor pop-up tent. He guards everything from up there like a hawk. I dunno, maybe he thinks he's a hawk, not a dog, in which case he wouldn't belong in this thread, but maybe in the birds one.

Speaking of hawks, a friend had her little poodle/terrier/mutt almost taken by a hawk. It grabbed the dog and tried to lift it off the ground, but the dog fought it. The hawk dropped it, but it had bruises and a punctured lung, but is now OK. This was in a rural area near Glenwood Springs CO (up Four Mile Road) right in her yard with kids around. Either a bold hawk or one possibly under stress because of the drought and heat.

IMG_0446.jpg

Thanks John, how much did Darby weigh? Luna was a runt, at 30#. Darby had the same focus it seems. Did you train Darby to herd? Luna took sheep herding lessons but only for a short while. She was a natural but we weren't about to get any sheep! :) Her main job was to carry a chew toy on the trail instead.
Darby was about 45 lbs. Dax, our current edition, weighs in right at 40. We just spent $400 having the vet extract a couple hundred quills from his mouth. His first advanced degree in porcupine behavior----

Darby was about 45 lbs. Dax, our current edition, weighs in right at 40. We just spent $400 having the vet extract a couple hundred quills from his mouth. His first advanced degree in porcupine behavior----
All of our dogs have had to learn that lesson, John. So we bought her some eye protection to protect her from the sun and quill punctures. Alas, she refused to wear it - it interfered with her stick chasing. So she learned the hard way. After her $400 vet visit she healed up OK with no eye punctures and then remembered porcupines forever.20110515-IMG_1603.jpg

20100829-IMG_0838_78285.jpg

Eight years ago I tried to take my nine-week-old pup, Boulder, on a hike to South Tent Mountain. She didn't fare too well and we didn't make the summit. She just gave up and kept lying down in my shadow to escape the heat of the sun. I ended up fashioning a sling out of my jacket to carry her back to the Jeep in.

1-IMG_6041.JPG

2-IMG_6005.JPG

3-IMG_6065.JPG

This weekend I took her back. We made it to the summit and she did quite well. Not bad for an almost-old-lady!

4-IMG_6395.JPG

5-IMG_6428.JPG

We lost Torrey last month. She would have been 15 years old this month. She'd really slowed down the last two years, and in the last months she was having a difficult time getting up and would sometimes fall down when walking. Then she just wouldn't eat anything and started wasting away. I picked her up in 2007 from the animal shelter in Payson when she was four months old, and she was the best hiking companion I could ever ask for.

IMG_8536.JPG

IMG_9119.JPG

IMG_2295.JPG

IMG_5281.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_7568.JPG