Album The dogs of backcountrypost.com

Zoey the wonder beagle enjoying the beautiful reflections at Pass lake.
Do you always have to keep Zoey leashed? I had a half-blue healer/half-beagle who was good half the time and bad half the time, depending on which half was reining in his brain. I would take him off-leash after he promised he'd be good, and he would be good for a while, then he would take off on some scent and I would hear him baying off in the distance, then cuss myself for being fooled again. I would then keep him leashed for a while - maybe four or five hikes, then feel sorry for him, let him go, and start the whole thing all over again. I was fortunate he never got lost, probably because this was around Moab and not in thick forest.

I was in Rocky Mountain NP one time and came upon a couple who had lost their two beagles - they'd jumped out the car door when they'd stopped for a moment - they'd been looking for them for days. They were very distraught. I told them I would keep an eye out and had hiked no more than a quarter of a mile when I found them sitting by the trail. Their paws were pretty chewed up from all the distance they'd apparently traveled. I took them back to the couple and got to be a bit of a hero even though I hadn't done anything. I love beagles, they're actually my favorite of all the breeds, they're so sweet, but I always worry about taking them hiking with me off-leash, they're so scent driven. Heelers are my second favorite, and they always stick around, which makes things easier.

Speaking of dogs getting lost, a couple lost their dog on top of Mount Bross while hiking, and never could find him. Someone found him five weeks later. He was actually OK, though very thin.

http://www.postindependent.com/news/alma-couple-rescues-dog-missing-for-five-weeks-off-mount-bross/

Last edited:
Do you always have to keep Zoey leashed?

She is 7 now and has mellowed out and gotten better in her middle age. She is good most of the time but not always. Like you said when that beagle brain catches a scent sometimes those large floppy ears don't listen very well. I usually keep her leash on just in case and then let her roam so I can grab it if I need to.

@danger02ward We’re these recent pics?

Yes, we were up there on Friday September 29th.

She is 7 now and has mellowed out and gotten better in her middle age. She is good most of the time but not always. Like you said when that beagle brain catches a scent sometimes those large floppy ears don't listen very well. I usually keep her leash on just in case and then let her roam so I can grab it if I need to.

Yes, we were up there on Friday September 29th.

Is the snow too much for an end-of-season hike in the area?

What a gorgeous dog. You can tell from the look in his eyes that he's straight on it.

I'd forgotten about Rin Tin Tin so looked it up and found this: The show's troupe of 12 character actors were often required to play multiple parts in the same episode, sometimes to the point of one actor fighting himself, wearing a cavalry uniform in one shot and an Apache outfit in another.

I actually never watched Rin Tin Tin ... I was more of a "Littlest Hobo" guy when I was a kid. It always broke my childhood heart when he left his new friends at the end of each episode, and hopped that freight train into the sunset.

Cato in Thompson Creek

I00004eXbhgHC.Nk.jpg

I0000iNq7q9FgYZM.jpg

The-Boy-As-Yet-Unnamed
- introducing our new family member. We rescued this one year old Border Collie from the rez via Vernal but I think he knows no Navajo except tint (let's go!). He has a marvelous personality and Luna seems like she might even like him some day. Now the training and naming begin. w00t!

For those of you that haven't been following Lunda's antics here she is the 11 year old on the left.

fullsizeoutput_1057.jpeg

Last edited:
The-Boy-As-Yet-Unnamed
- introducing our new family member. We rescued this one year old Border Collied from the rez via Vernal but I think he knows no Navaho except Tint. He has a marvelous personality and Luna seems like she might even like him some day. Now the training and naming begin. w00t!

For those of you that haven't been following Lunda's antics here she is the 11 year old on the left.

View attachment 59668

I love Luna's face so much.

Be careful there, a Border Collie can outsmart most humans. Two together can outsmart all humans. My brother's could open the fridge. Very cool of you guys to rescue a Rez dog.
Thanks. This is probably my 8th rescue and my 4th or 5th border collie. We pretty much stick with the breed due to intelligence and athleticism. Plus we have some land to let them roam around on and we walk. A lot. So it is a great environment for them. Luna is pretty much the smartest animal I have ever met and can even rival Chaser on some tasks (at least in her proud poppa's eyes).

Last edited:
I love Luna's face so much.
Me too, Benito! Although Merlin had those eyes in his :) Check out his face in the first post of this thread back in 2012.

So what should we call him (placeholder:Junior) ??? Actually he is supposed to tell us his name.

Last edited:
How about Yatahey? J/k

Actually, I like to give my dogs human names, like Joey or Buddy. Not very original, though.