Album The dogs of backcountrypost.com

What, no ice axe? Are you roped to the poor little guy? Is he wedged in there or was he "Buff" enough to get out on his own? Is he your snow bridge tester? So many questions... My dogs refuse to go into crevasse territory. They're more desert dogs.

Reactions: Ben
What, no ice axe? Are you roped to the poor little guy? Is he wedged in there or was he "Buff" enough to get out on his own? Is he your snow bridge tester? So many questions... My dogs refuse to go into crevasse territory. They're more desert dogs.

Don't worry, he wasn't harmed at all. I've been sarcastic saying it was crevasse, it was just snowpack on the trail that melted there here with depth up to 2 feet and he slipped into one of the holes. But believe me I took my time and lectured him for a good minute with I told you not to rush, I told you to stay close to me, etc. before I helped him out :):).

20170604_120424.jpg 20170604_122147.jpg 20170604_122424.jpg 20170604_125329.jpg 20170604_125341.jpg

I think the rockchuck may have felt a bit offended, though. A good bad dog doing what bad good dogs like to do.

The only time one of my dogs ever caught and killed a critter (a ground squirrel) was when I was hiking with a ranger. Go figure, they're cattle dogs and don't generally hunt. I think the stress of being on his best behavior (he was off leash) got to him and his brain exploded (the dog, not the ranger).

I think the rockchuck may have felt a bit offended, though. A good bad dog doing what bad good dogs like to do.

The only time one of my dogs ever caught and killed a critter (a ground squirrel) was when I was hiking with a ranger. Go figure, they're cattle dogs and don't generally hunt. I think the stress of being on his best behavior (he was off leash) got to him and his brain exploded (the dog, not the ranger).
Yep, pretty sure the rock chuck was offended. As was I, as she tried to gift it to me for about 100 feet, as I backed away saying "eeewww"

IMG_5576.JPG
Here's one of my Blue Heelers, Weezee, after a good dip in the Virgin River then a nice sandy roll. She's over 12, not sure how much, as she was a rescue. Got her from the Ridgway CO shelter.

IMG_6776.JPG
Here she is in the Uncompahgre River near Ouray with her buddy Spanky. Spanks is from the Moab shelter and is pushing 14, maybe 15.

Last edited:
View attachment 55894
Here's one of my Blue Heelers, Weezee, after a good dip in the Virgin River then a nice sandy roll. She's over 12, not sure how much, as she was a rescue. Got her from the Ridgway CO shelter.

View attachment 55895
Here she is in the Uncompahgre River near Ouray with her buddy Spanky. Spanks is from the Moab shelter and is pushing 14, maybe 15.
good looking pups.

2q1v512.jpg

Here is a pic of my dog Zya a few years back in the Uintas. She is demanding to be let in the tent so she can take a nap

She feels the same way I do about having that stupid thing over my head.
I hate those darn bug nets, too,but wear them when in gnat country. As for moskies, are you blood type O? If so, you might want to get a transfusion to Type A. I'm A- and don't have much trouble with skeeters, unless there's nobody else around to bite, then they come after me. I don't know about dog blood types, and they probably can't get through the hair enough to really bite them anyway.

"One study found that in a controlled setting, mosquitoes landed on people with Type O blood nearly twice as often as those with Type A. People with Type B blood fell somewhere in the middle of this itchy spectrum. Additionally, based on other genes, about 85 percent of people secrete a chemical signal through their skin that indicates which blood type they have, while 15 percent do not, and mosquitoes are also more attracted to secretors than nonsecretors regardless of which type they are."

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ore-than-others-10255934/#GUiRfBGOM2dqJwjR.99