The Before/After thread

Vegan.Hiker

I thought it might be fun to start a thread that combines two different thread ideas.
  • BEFORE: Before you head out, tell us what you have planned for the weekend.
  • AFTER: When you get back, quote your "before" post, this time attaching your single favorite pic from the trip.
And don't let this thread be a substitute for posting a trip report as well.

Last edited:
I'll go first. This one's for @Artemus.

This (from last year):
ruby-horsethief-49-jpg.33083

+ this from this week (she is still under construction):
File Jun 14, 9 35 00 PM.jpeg

= What I'm doing in a few weeks. But not before another Glen Canyon trip. Life is hard. Lots of pics to come.

Sorry @Nick. I think I may have screwed up explaining this thread (I went back and edited the original post to clarify). So what I had in mind is that it can serve two purposes. First, as a "tell us what you're doing this weekend" type of thread, where people post their plans for the weekend (no picture necessary since you may have never been there before). When you return, quote your "before" post and attach your single favorite picture from your trip. I couldn't really go first to show an example because I can't go anywhere this weekend :(. But I'll try to show an example of a "before" and an "after" post below, even though I am writing both of these after the fact.

My idea for the thread came from the fact that I always thought it would have been cool to have a "what are your plans for the weekend" type of thread, and you were also looking for a replacement for the Micro Trip Report thread (hence the post your single favorite pic afterwards part. I don't know. It sounded like a good idea in my head, but maybe it's too complicated.

Last edited:
(example "before" post)

This weekend I'll be taking Joey and a kayak and heading down to the swamps in southern Delaware for 2 nights. These swamps are the northernmost bald cypress swamps in the US and I've thought about exploring them for years.

Last edited:
(example "after" post)

This weekend I'll be taking Joey and a kayak and heading down to the swamps in southern Delaware for 2 nights. These swamps are the northernmost bald cypress swamps in the US and I've thought about exploring them for years.

These swamps were interesting but pretty damn creepy. I'm still glad I went because I got to see some blue herons up close and had an interesting "too close for comfort" encounter with an ornery beaver. But it's probably not a place I'd ever return to.

DSC05515-1.JPG

Last edited:
Before: move my into my apartment finally Saturday, woohoo! Sunday day hike to Horse Thief falls to pancake rocks. Reports say 7.8 miles starting at 9,780ft. Trying to get out in the elevation and on trails every weekend to develop my legs and lungs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't misunderstand, I just don't like following rules! I don't see anything wrong with a pic accompanying the before shot. :) I guess mine might be a little early though.

My bad. I wasn't trying to referee, just wanted to make sure I wasn't confusing everyone.

How about if I have plans for something tomorrow afternoon/evening?

I get off work at 3:30 and my wife has plans for the evening tomorrow, so I'll be attempting to summit and descend Deseret Peak before the sun goes down. Fortunately, these are the longest days of the year, so I should have about 4 hours to make the whole 7ish miles. Hoping to improve my Deseret Peak record since I've attempted it twice so far and only succeeded once (bad weather and underpreparedness got me the other time).

Heading to Yellowstone this weekend for three nights in the Lower Geyser Basin with a day hike to Buffalo Meadows through roughly 3 miles of "Scatman Burn." Your type of terrain @Artemus ! I hope that there is something worthwhile to see in the meadows.

Heading to Yellowstone this weekend for three nights in the Lower Geyser Basin with a day hike to Buffalo Meadows through roughly 3 miles of "Scatman Burn." Your type of terrain @Artemus ! I hope that there is something worthwhile to see in the meadows.
Cool! You gonna see @Joey? Be safe out there and no running... it attracts bears.

Cool! You gonna see @Joey? Be safe out there and no running... it attracts bears.

I think @Joey was doing some measly hike from Old Faithful, up and over the Pitchstone Plateau, before heading down to the Tetons. Whimp! Where are his priorities? He is going to miss the unnamed pond in the middle of the burn for crying out loud. I'm going to write your name, Joey's and Ben's in the mud by the pond which means you will all have to visit it at some point in the future. I think I'll be meeting up with him on the 5th of July. If I can get him across the Lamar on the 7th, I think he will be alright. :)

I've got my jogging shoes! I'll be using my daughter as bear bait anyways. She is always complaining about never getting to see bears in the backcountry. Now is her chance.

Buffalo_Meadows_3.jpg
Route to Buffalo Meadows (there and back)

Buffalo_Meadows_4.jpg
Ditto

Buffalo_Meadows_5.jpg
Unnamed pond!

I think @Joey was doing some measly hike from Old Faithful, up and over the Pitchstone Plateau, before heading down to the Tetons. Whimp! Where are his priorities? He is going to miss the unnamed pond in the middle of the burn for crying out loud. I'm going to write your name, Joey's and Ben's in the mud by the pond which means you will all have to visit it at some point in the future. I think I'll be meeting up with him on the 5th of July. If I can get him across the Lamar on the 7th, I think he will be alright. :)

I've got my jogging shoes! I'll be using my daughter as bear bait anyways. She is always complaining about never getting to see bears in the backcountry. Now is her chance.

View attachment 44510
Route to Buffalo Meadows (there and back)

View attachment 44511
Ditto

View attachment 44512
Unnamed pond!
Bwahaha, you make me laugh Scat! You want to borrow my duckie for that Lamar "stream" crossing? I may just come up to film that. What a great BCP cinemascape that would be to see just the top of you and Joey's heads bobbing up and down as you unwillingly float down the Lamar River with bears, wolves and untold ungulates in the background. :cool:

Hey, have we redesigned Vegan's thread or what?

You still thinking about joining us in the Windies? You can even wear your skirt.

Bwahaha, you make me laugh Scat! You want to borrow my duckie for that Lamar "stream" crossing? I may just come up to film that. What a great BCP cinemascape that would be to see just the top of you and Joey's heads bobbing up and down as you unwillingly float down the Lamar River with bears, wolves and untold ungulates in the background. :cool:

Hey, have we redesigned Vegan's thread or what?

You still thinking about joining us in the Windies? You can even wear your skirt.

I would be honored to float your duckie across the Lamar. Can I deflate it, fold it up and toss it back across the river to you so that I don't have to carry it the rest of the way on my trip? Is it compatible with my kilt?

What are the exact dates for the Winds trip?

Let me understand... You are going to cross 3 miles of horrific Scatman-slowing deadfall and new growth just to check off another of your life-goal ponds (life goal: touching all the backcountry ponds and lakes in Jellystone) ?

Dedicated. You are my hero. Can I go on the next one?

Well yes, and you are more than welcome to go on my next trip.

Funny you should ask though. I'm planning a four night trip up Crow Creek, through Crow Pass into the Park then along the old trail to Jones Pass and down Jones Creek. The third night will be spent at Stonecup Lake which is located about a quarter mile from the eastern park boundary. It will require a 1.2 mile new growth/burn pleasant hike to reach it from the Jones Creek Trail. I'm heading out on July 31st. You could climb Mount Chittenden while we are back in there!Stonecup_Lake_01.jpg
map of Stonecup Lake area

Stonecup_Lake_02.jpg
Imagery of area

Stonecup_Lake_03.jpg
Yellows line represents approximate route taken to Stonecup Lake from the Jones Creek Trail

Think i've blown that one off for this year. The shuttle for that trip is out of my budget.

How about if I have plans for something tomrrow afternoon/evening?

I get off work at 3:30 and my wife has plans for the evening tomorrow, so I'll be attempting to summit and descend Deseret Peak before the sun goes down. Fortunately, these are the longest days of the year, so I should have about 4 hours to make the whole 7ish miles. Hoping to improve my Deseret Peak record since I've attempted it twice so far and only succeeded once (bad weather and underpreparedness got me the other time).

Called an audible and switched to the Butterfield Peaks in the Oquirrh Mountains. Deseret Peak was too long of a drive to justify going on a weeknight. Had a good little hike, but I cut it short because of (perhaps overthought, but I played it safe) suspicions of a mountain lion kill on the trail ahead. I'll discuss that in my upcoming TR.

LrMobile2206-2016-07014530646380616.jpeg