Teton Wilderness - 50 miles of High Country - Aug 2022

Oh yeah, however bad the mud was at least they didn't have to dig you out of 3 different holes on Cub Creek like the poor but arrogant forest inventorier in 2014. They never could figure out if he was killed by a grizzly or black bear.

All that high alpine plateau country looks wonderful.

I bet slipping down on the hill like that gave a good view of if the gooseberries were ripe and if any insects hiding under the leaves. There was probably no other way to see them up close given the country that was needing to be covered.

I do say though, if @Rockskipper is right and that is a mini-fridge in that backpack, then when I get a chance, I will provide a ribeye or two to keep cold in there for night 2 or 3 to supplement the Mountain House.

All that high alpine plateau country looks wonderful.

I bet slipping down on the hill like that gave a good view of if the gooseberries were ripe and if any insects hiding under the leaves. There was probably no other way to see them up close given the country that was needing to be covered.

I do say though, if @Rockskipper is right and that is a mini-fridge in that backpack, then when I get a chance, I will provide a ribeye or two to keep cold in there for night 2 or 3 to supplement the Mountain House.

Yeah, that's why I did it, to get a good look at the insects under the leaves. :D

A mini-fridge? All I have in my pack are essentials. Let's see - sleeping bag, sleeping pad, rain gear, clothes stuff sack, puffy jacket, rain jacket and pants, and my food for the trip. See, all essentials. :)

Last edited:
You forgot the fridge full of circus peanuts.

Oh yes, the circus peanuts. I was dropping them every twenty feet or so to create a trail of nuts on certain sections of our route. That way when I return next summer for my ten day trip, I will be able to find and stay on route. Pretty clever eh? I know they will still be there because they don't deteriorate over time, and they can double as a snack along the way. :)

Also, there's the chance that they will take root and develop into full-on circus peanut plants, which will serve the dual purpose of nurturing you and showing you the way. Can't beat that! Just be careful that the bears don't develop a taste for them (unlikely, they have more sense). Would that end up totally changing the delicate GYE for the worse? I guess it depends on who you ask.

Gosh Rockskipper, a whole trail lined with Circus Peanut Plants ... we might never hear from Scatman again if this happens. Yes the Bears have more sense!

Also, there's the chance that they will take root and develop into full-on circus peanut plants, which will serve the dual purpose of nurturing you and showing you the way. Can't beat that! Just be careful that the bears don't develop a taste for them (unlikely, they have more sense). Would that end up totally changing the delicate GYE for the worse? I guess it depends on who you ask.

Gosh Rockskipper, a whole trail lined with Circus Peanut Plants ... we might never hear from Scatman again if this happens. Yes the Bears have more sense!

No question the bears have more sense than Scat. :thumbsup: I'm not the one to worry about though. If the nuts did take root, then @TractorDoc would be homesteading somewhere along the route. :D

Yes onetime in the Soda Fork Meadows in all seriousness, I had a real close encounter to a large male Grizzly Bear. He was only a few feet away and weighed over 400 pounds probably. We locked eyes in the encounter. I sensed soooo much intelligence in the bear. And I felt the bear read me like an X-ray machine. Look at how often we Human Two Leggecs are ... Yes the Bears have more sense!

Oh yes, the circus peanuts. I was dropping them every twenty feet or so to create a trail of nuts on certain sections of our route. That way when I return next summer for my ten day trip, I will be able to find and stay on route. Pretty clever eh? I know they will still be there because they don't deteriorate over time, and they can double as a snack along the way. :)
I saw Marmots picking them up ....... poor things.

Hey, I'm in Driggs, not that far from Ystone, and had a marmot come up on my back deck the other day. It looked a little crazed. You don't suppose...circus peanuts spread fast...kind of like goatheads...it may be too late...

I've been drawn back to this report as I've heard rumors of rouge peanut trees dotting the landscape.

If Scat's nuts did take root it would drastically change the scenery of the region. I've never seen one in person, but once the peanut plants become established I imagine the terrain might look something like this:

1660738279649.png

Luckily, I think Circus Peanuts are not indigenous to Wyoming and they will not grow above a certain altitude. Hugh could probably grow one is his house though; I think the trick is to half submerge the nut in water with toothpicks the way it is done with an avocado.

On a side note, Marmots do love them, but consumption in moderation is key. If they eat too many at once they can fall victim to "Circus Fever." It has not been well documented but suggestive signs are orange stained teeth, dilated pupils, and a tendency to perform acrobatic stunts.

:lol:

I've been drawn back to this report as I've heard rumors of rouge peanut trees dotting the landscape.

If Scat's nuts did take root it would drastically change the scenery of the region. I've never seen one in person, but once the peanut plants become established I imagine the terrain might look something like this:

View attachment 112551

Luckily, I think Circus Peanuts are not indigenous to Wyoming and they will not grow above a certain altitude. Hugh could probably grow one is his house though; I think the trick is to half submerge the nut in water with toothpicks the way it is done with an avocado.

On a side note, Marmots do love them, but consumption in moderation is key. If they eat too many at once they can fall victim to "Circus Fever." It has not been well documented but suggestive signs are orange stained teeth, dilated pupils, and a tendency to perform acrobatic stunts.

:lol:

I like it. :thumbsup: Hey @Rockskipper, is that a mule pulling that Once-ler wagon?

No mule would ever submit to such a fate. It has to be a cow. Cows will do anything. Mules have self-respect.

Or, Just follow all th poor, dead animal carcasses that died horrible deaths from eatin those darn orange peanuts..

Dr. Seuss hated mules after one ate his painting of circus peanuts (notice how I covered both topics in one mere sentence?).