Surreal Sidestep Canyon

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

cmgz

Agree, it can be done, we just need lots of time to explore and maybe more experience than Rick and I have..... it's a very unusual and cool surreal looking area. We need to start earlier one day, so we have enough time to explore. Those winter days are so short. :rolleyes:
We went back to Sidestep yesterday and I tried to pay attention to how we got in and out. We tend to search around for a way to downclimb in that's reasonable and here's the way we found yesterday. I also marked on our track a "cow path" that we took to get out. I use the quotes as it is really steep but there's no real climbs, you could use it to go in and backtrack into the canyon if you don't like downclimbing. We went overland on the top too to look down into Wahweep for fun. Good luck!
P1170467.JPG

Image-1.jpg

P1170493.JPG

P1170486.JPG

Last edited:

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Titans

We went back to Sidestep yesterday and I tried to pay attention to how we got in and out. We tend to search around for a way to downclimb in that's reasonable and here's the way we found yesterday. I also marked on our track a "cow path" that we took to get out. I use the quotes as it is really steep but there's no real climbs, you could use it to go in and backtrack into the canyon if you don't like downclimbing. We went overland on the top too to look down into Wahweep for fun. Good luck!View attachment 74582

View attachment 74583

View attachment 74584

View attachment 74585
Thanks @cmgz ! Very steep 'cow paths' are ok. Great, I'm looking forward to try again. It's also good to see the technique for climbing the dam wall. We figured out how to bypass that, but it's good to know. It's such a cool area. You even went all the way across and got a view down to Wahweap. Awesome!

cmgz

Thanks @cmgz ! Very steep 'cow paths' are ok. Great, I'm looking forward to try again. It's also good to see the technique for climbing the dam wall. We figured out how to bypass that, but it's good to know. It's such a cool area. You even went all the way across and got a view down to Wahweap. Awesome!
I thought you’d get a laugh out of it. My sharing of info has a reason as well. This area has been cut from the Monument and needs a few friends. Careful of the crypto and enjoy

Titans

I thought you’d get a laugh out of it. My sharing of info has a reason as well. This area has been cut from the Monument and needs a few friends. Careful of the crypto and enjoy
Yes, agree @cmgz ! - That why I wrote the Wahweap Hoodoos TR, see the bottom of the report. We hiked it December 3, 2017- the day before the whole area was cut from the Monument. We will be back to Sidestep and the whole area, it's a very special place.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
powderglut Trip Planning 8