Sunday Hill Climbing in the Adirondacks

kwc

I haven't climbed this little gem in a few years ... Hadley Mtn in the southern Adirondacks. Microspikes all the way up and back down. Sorry, no orange @scatman like kilt ... I think it would have clashed with my orange pack.

trail was hard packed ... if you ventured off the trail you sunk down about a foot or so.

more of the usual glacial erratics found all over the Adirondacks

Nearing the ridge line ....

view to the NW

the goal

looking to the north from the fire tower (upper landing ... tower cab was locked)

looking down on the old caretaker's cabin ... still used by summit stewards in the summer months

view of the Great Sacandaga Lake from near the summit (it's a man made lake created in the 1930s for flood control)

notorious Adirondack wildlife often found lying in wait along the trail ...

some old guy on the trail

It was a wedding week for friends in Schenectady in 1995. The bride's dad and brother took me on a hike, maybe an hour north? For the life of me I couldn't remember where the heck they took me, exactly. Map study told me it had to be Hadley, but I have no memory of the LO. I do remember a very steep,
small-road width trail. Sept 25 to 30th thereabouts. The honeymoon was a week in the Dacks shared with closest friends. I do remember Lyon Mtn, as we stayed that week on Chategay Lk. Our mailorder had been submitted for the 5 night run at the Boston Garden, then Jerry died that July. There would be no music.
Back to the point: your pic confirms it. I dug up a 4x6, full NY Fall color, of me (mid-back length blonde locks) in that exact spot, with those two bumps in the distance. The spruce on the right has thinned from wind, I suppose. The small one, dead center of the pic, wasn't born yet. The one to it's left hasn't grown much. Mystery fully solved, thank you! And thanks for invoking lots of good memories.
Since then the bride and groom has raised a family of 3 kids in Rotterdam where he's been a land use planner.
We were all on a FS trail crew here in the Cascades and took planes, trains (4 days/3 nights in an AMTRAK coach seat), and automobiles (Auto Drive-away which we put some extra miles on at Chategay) to get to the wedding. A NYC friend of the groom's actually gave blow as a wedding gift, no kidding. It didn't last long at the Chateagay cabins. That was the last time I saw Appalachian fall color.
Good times....

Last edited: