Stratos 36 or Exos 34?

Nick

-
I think it's time for a new backpack. My Osprey Kestrel 38 is getting the crap beaten out of it with all the trips and canyons it's seen in the last two years. I need to clean it and send it in for repairs but don't really want to use any of my other packs in the mean time so I was thinking of picking up a slightly smaller pack to use on most of my trips. The Kestrel 38 is just about right but I usually have a fair amount of extra space unless it's a cold weather trip.

I was thinking of picking up a Stratos 36. It's a smidge lighter but the straps and stuff actually look a bit beefier. Anybody used one? I'd love to hear your opinions if you have, even if it was just as a day pack.

The other one I was thinking of was the Exos 34 but it seems pretty hard to find in that size and I really wonder if all of the weight savings would result in a sub-standard pack as far as comfort goes.

I use an older Stratos 32 and love it. It can be a bit cramped for me at times but is a great day pack.

Do you only use it as a day pack or have you done backpacking with it?

Backpacking solo with the 32 would be hard. My brother did an overnight with it, but wasn't carrying a tent.

I don't have any experience with the two packs here but I have a pack in the same size range as them. It's a Golite Lite Speed. 39L and weighs 2lb 10oz. Mine is the older 2009 version. They changed the pack in 2010 but I like the older version better. I have used it for the past 2 yrs on mostly weekend trips.

http://www.backpacker.com/january-2010-gear-review-golite-lite-speed-backpack/gear/13681

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

This thing rocks....

All packed up for tomorrow with an extra lens, tripod, dog food, dog coat, canned food, 2 liters of water and a half liter of whiskey, I'm at 28 lbs with plenty of room to spare. And I even packed my 2-man tent this time! :D

packed-osprey-stratos.jpg

Nice. The design is quite a bit different than my 32... seems to incorporate some elements from the Atmos.

Tested the new pack last night. I think I'm in love. :D Surprisingly roomy considering it's only 36 liters. I think it'll be good for 3 day mountain trips and 4 day desert trips for me, especially if I'm not packing a seperate dog pad, dog jacket, dog food, etc. like I did last night. Oh, and the beer too... that made things a bit tight. Full review coming after I've beaten the crap out of it sufficiently. :cool:

IMG_9290.jpg

Sweet!!
I can't wait for your review. And you really had a tent and your down sleeping bag in it?
I'm wondering, because my down sleeping bag is a bit bulky and would never find in a smaller pack.

Yep. 2-man tent with poles, and marmot 20 degree long down bag. I even folded up Nikita's thermarest z-lite pad and fit it in there. :)

I was thinking of picking up a Stratos 36. It's a smidge lighter but the straps and stuff actually look a bit beefier. Anybody used one? I'd love to hear your opinions if you have, even if it was just as a day pack.

....I got the Stratos 24 and LOVE IT!!!! :twothumbs:

That looks really good on that color!

I also have the Stratos 36. I mainly us it as my nice weather day pack. I found the curved back and a full bladder makes it a little harder to pack than a regular pack without the air gap. But I love the pack! My back stays much dryer than with other packs I've used.

Osprey makes fantastic packs. I also use the Osprey Quantum as my work/commuting pack.

My first backpacking pack was a Gregory Palisade 80...a giant, tank of a bag. Heavy, too. I just downsized to a Dueter Act Lite 65+10 for my trip this year. Tried the Kestrel 68 but it just didn't fit me right. Still seemed like a great pack, though.

I'm trying to get the weight down so I can fit into an even smaller pack. Would love to be able to use the Stratos.