Album Snow and Winter Shots

It's always interesting to see the local inhabitant's presence revealed by fresh snow. In this case, we followed the wanderings of a wolf pack as they meandered alongside an xc ski trail, one morning this week. These were the largest tracks. For reference, the ski tips are 50mm wide.
P1110174-copy-2.jpg

Staying (Covid) close to home:

Monday 3/30: Old powder

Outback 1
by John Morrow, on Flickr

Outback 2

April 1: April snowfall, warming day, sun breaks and high avy hazard mean ski in the trees

Rock Mtn enshrouded

Jake 2 Nason

Jake 3 Nason

Headed down

Skiing trees

Jake 5

Nason Ridge 1

A few more pics of winter:

Last edited:
Nice, JM! And a telemarker too- an endangered species around here. I do most of my backcountry on AT now, but like to fire off a tele or two sometimes on my XC skis, just for old times sake. In a normal ski season around the Canadian Rockies- mid March to early May would be prime time for long days ski touring and turning amongst the high peaks and glaciers along the divide. Not so this year, as all of that terrain west of Calgary is found in the national parks or the Kananaskis provincial parks- all effectively closed. A lot of public land akin to BLM is still open in the foothills but is not great for powder turns due to a low and weak snowpack- but still good for some xc style touring, especially as we have been back into unseasonable winter weather this week, after a taste of spring last weekend.
P1110259-copy-2.jpg
A return to Winter Wonderland.
P1110307-copy-2.jpg
A few days later- more snow, but grooming done for the season, Still, very good skier tracked conditions.
P1110313-copy-2.jpg
Glad to see others have been getting out, despite gov't making it more difficult by keeping this area open, but closing the main parking lots.
Makes sense to potentially squeeze people who want some responsible, health and sanity maintaining outdoor activity into the small trailhead areas remaining. Right??? With that in mind- we've been avoiding this area the last two weekends. I think that I could get used to being (semi) retired!
P1110284-copy-2.jpg
Another day- a link up of off-trail meadows and ski trails.
P1110305-copy-2.jpg
Delightful skiing on an undulating old logging road.
P1110319-copy-2.jpg
A return to the roots of xc skiing-meadow skipping on the light touring setup.

Nice, JM! And a telemarker too- an endangered species around here. I do most of my backcountry on AT now, but like to fire off a tele or two sometimes on my XC skis, just for old times sake. In a normal ski season around the Canadian Rockies- mid March to early May would be prime time for long days ski touring and turning amongst the high peaks and glaciers along the divide. Not so this year, as all of that terrain west of Calgary is found in the national parks or the Kananaskis provincial parks- all effectively closed. A lot of public land akin to BLM is still open in the foothills but is not great for powder turns due to a low and weak snowpack- but still good for some xc style touring, especially as we have been back into unseasonable winter weather this week, after a taste of spring last weekend.

View attachment 87702

A return to the roots of xc skiing-meadow skipping on the light touring setup.

Looks dreamy, @SteveR!

Thanks for the tele comments. I am at the age now where I think it may be time to go AT, too. However, other than poor parallel turns on the tele gear I have no alpine experience. Late season powder in the backyard was a case in point. Took a few falls when the shaded dry snow instantly turned wet from earlier sun. Face plant! Great day in the home hills, though:

Jake breaking on ridge

Great snow!

Natalie and Ethan, new friends

Back at Lichtenberg

Jake heads down

A few more pics of winter in the Central Cascades scenery:

Could have been the last day of winter. Warm clear high pressure on the way. Temps skyrocketing. Always sad to see powder go away.

Last edited:
Did you guys kick off that wet slide?

Yeah we did, by the time we reached the top of the slope, we were 95% certain it was unskiable. One quick ski cut confirmed our thoughts. 0830 start at the TH was 2 hours too late. This one has a long approach of 6 miles of snow covered road and forest. Surface was probably frozen 2 inches thick overnight with the clear sky. The west slope would have skied well but would have put us another mile from the car and another climb out.

Winter is loosening it's grip on the foothills west of Calgary. Fortunately- the Alberta provincial parks and rec areas were re-opened on May 1 after closing due to covid in mid-March- just in time for a bike ride out to the mountains on the closed in winter (until May 15) Sheep River road, and a short walk to Sheep Falls along the way.
P1110415-copy-2.jpg
The reason for the Nov 30- May 15 road closure- the Sheep river valley is an important wintering area for wildlife- Bighorn Sheep in particular. These nonchalant grazers were part of a herd of about 50 females and immature sheep meandering along and above the road. Bonus for cyclists is the once the snow melts in April- there is a window for a great 45 km ride, with no traffic.
P1110423-copy-2.jpg

Saturday May 9th was a beautiful Day to get out and enjoy Deseret peak via the twin couloirs. The gate was open.

View of the temple couloir on the way in.
D0484DC4-4CD6-42A3-84E4-08C56B98988A.jpeg
View of the twin couloirs
7CC735F9-7FB7-46CE-A916-C6F4991F1E91.jpeg
The west twin had a lot of rock debris. East twin was free and clear but had skiers in it. So we climbed up the west twin and slid down the East twin. BB0E0BF5-9A8D-4DCE-9119-B2096E43289E.jpeg
Looking up the west twin.
707BECE3-449F-49C7-AD91-2A908F3A8F8E.jpeg
Looking down the rock debris strewn west twin about halfway up.
ABCB6EEA-8DC2-46AB-B58D-A4DCBE1A96A3.jpegL
Looking down the west twin from the top.
6D45E528-F652-4576-B504-34DF8F2B4551.jpeg
Looking over towards Deseret peak. We hit the peak before descending the East twin.
44AD5EBD-B938-4757-97E4-29D48886B0C9.jpeg
View looking down the top of the East twin in anticipation of the exciting glissade.
F6B9FE94-077F-46EE-B656-9780450B5663.jpeg
Looking back up the East twin after the exciting glissade.
5E1CA2C3-AC0F-444D-8EFF-B09BEF4D9971.jpeg
A look at the beautiful Deseret twin couloirs.
B120BDCB-0DC8-42A2-9D6A-FA51ABA1D3A2.jpeg
One last look in the setting sun.
63C9BDAD-3978-4A02-AF3A-8FD8D42F65B5.jpeg

Per usual I never know which "category" to post in. This time I went with snow.

A late spring flurry left a dusting on new plant growth; in this case some apple blossoms.

5J5A3972.JPG

5J5A3973.JPG

5J5A3968A.JPG

Too soon to tell if the apple crop is compromised, but at least the sun peeked out and melted most of the cold stuff off after it fell.

5J5A3981.JPG

Tuesday May 19th I had the great pleasure of hitting south timp from the aspen Grove trailhead.
View looking up from the trail down below
414DD6D3-235D-4325-98BE-DD5FCFBDF116.jpeg
View of the timp ridgeline from south timp
995001FC-79EA-4736-B45A-24CC902966C3.jpeg
view looking back up the “timp glacier” after a fun slide down. 180E2B22-02AA-4930-ABC2-61CBA1A28834.jpeg

Saturday May 23rd I had the great pleasure of hitting cascade mountain for the first time up the Beautiful upper pole couloir.
View looking down from part way up the couloir
3462B247-A1CF-4BBA-97C9-3A8A9D9F37CE.jpeg
enjoying the beautiful steep Snow in the couloir
F4FE7ADF-F48B-4E26-ACC4-C6B77B7A94D2.jpeg
looking up at the beautiful blue sky
AC4A5A33-8FB0-4C4E-9291-BBAF3AE853AA.jpeg
looking down from the top of the upper pole couloir
29CAFDC6-55AA-4A7B-A7E8-60A8D412621B.jpeg
the cloud covered cornice rimmed ridgeline on the way to the summit of cascade mountain.
4A6376BD-924F-492C-99F9-8ABD5953498C.jpeg

I guess I can post the first images for this year. We had a wonderful snowstorm on Labor Day in Yellowstone and the Tetons and I took advantage and took some shots in the Tetons.
That's the earliest snow I have encountered so far and I was smiling all day long because my wish was granted.

snow%20selfie%20copy-XL.jpg

first%20snow%20of%20the%20year%20copy-XL.jpg

teton%20snow%20copy-XL.jpg