Silver Falls, Choprock Canyon, Neon Canyon, Escalante River Loop

Joey

walking somewhere
This is a 4 day backpacking trip I did a few days ago with @Bob . We started at the Silver Falls trailhead, hiked down to the Escalante River, then up Choprock Canyon and around to the truck. Here is a trip video:

Here is our route: Click here to view on CalToposilver falls overview map.png
silver falls overview map  2.png

silver falls overview map  3.png

We drove down Thursday night, and camped at the Silver Falls trailhead. We set out down Silver Falls Creek early the next morning.
DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG
DSC_0042.JPG

Lots of petrified wood. Bob tried to put this piece in his pack:
DSC_0059.JPG

After the north fork junction, the canyon starts to narrow up a little.
DSC_0064.JPG DSC_0068.JPG DSC_0081.JPG

The Hobbs inscription, which is near a beautiful undercut:
DSC_0091.JPG
DSC_0096.JPG

We found a neat mudroglyph dating back to approximately 2014AD. Bob says its a skin walker.
DSC_0088.JPG

We continued on down the canyon.
DSC_0108.JPG DSC_0111.JPG DSC_0112.JPG DSC_0117.JPG DSC_0136.JPG

We reached the Escalante River in the early afternoon. We followed it down to where Harris Wash dumps in.DSC_0138.JPG

DSC_0140.JPG
DSC_0143.JPG

We set up camp near the river, took a short nap, and then hiked up Harris Wash a short ways.
DSC_0153.JPG

DSC_0155.JPG
DSC_0157.JPG

DSC_0159.JPG

DSC_0160.JPG

DSC_0162 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0167 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0173 - Copy.JPG

Back at camp, we went to bed before dark.
DSC_0189 - Copy.JPG DSC_0192 - Copy.JPG

Day 2 we headed down the Escalante River. We got a late start, maybe around 11am.
DSC_0198 - Copy.JPG DSC_0199 - Copy.JPG DSC_0200 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0202 - Copy.JPG DSC_0209 - Copy.JPG DSC_0212 - Copy.JPG DSC_0218.JPG DSC_0231.JPG DSC_0223.JPG DSC_0251.JPG DSC_0253.JPG DSC_0258.JPG
DSC_0263.JPG
DSC_0267.JPG

DSC_0269.JPG

DSC_0274.JPG

At the mouth of Choprock Canyon, we took a short break. Then we dropped our packs, and headed down to Neon Canyon.
DSC_0280.JPG

DSC_0289.JPG

We headed up Neon.
DSC_0291.JPG DSC_0307.JPG DSC_0304.JPG

We reached the Golden Cathedral. I was surprised that nobody was there on a Saturday evening. Maybe because of the lighting? Anyways, it was cool to be there alone.
DSC_0314.JPG DSC_0319.JPG

After a while, we headed back down the canyon.
DSC_0327.JPG

DSC_0331.JPG

We surprised a turkey when we reached the river.DSC_0335.JPG

We checked out the petroglyph panel near the mouth of Neon Canyon.
DSC_0343.JPG DSC_0354.JPG DSC_0359.JPG DSC_0360.JPG

The sun was going down, and the river drainage was beautiful.
DSC_0361.JPG DSC_0367.JPG DSC_0369.JPG

It was dark by the time we made it back to our packs. We set up camp in the moonlight. Camped in a Cottonwood forest that was blooming, my allergies kicked in bad. I struggled with them the rest of the trip.

Day 3, 2 people with pack rafts came down from Choprock Canyon, and put in the river. These were the only people we saw on our trip.
DSC_0375.JPG DSC_0382.JPG DSC_0385.JPG

A good shot of Bob at camp.
DSC_0391.JPG

Me crossing the river.
DSC_0397.JPG

Heading up Choprock Canyon.
DSC_0405.JPG

DSC_0412.JPG

DSC_0417.JPG

We dropped our packs and headed up the South Fork of Choprock. You can walk it a short distance before reaching a dryfall. Its a beautiful canyon, and above is a popular technical route.
DSC_0422.JPG DSC_0426.JPG DSC_0429.JPG DSC_0427.JPG DSC_0433.JPG

We went back to get our packs, and headed up the main fork of Choprock. There is a really nice section of narrows here.
DSC_0445.JPG DSC_0450.JPG DSC_0456.JPG

DSC_0459.JPG DSC_0460.JPG DSC_0462.JPG DSC_0465.JPG DSC_0471.JPG DSC_0481.JPG DSC_0473.JPG DSC_0482.JPG

DSC_0486.JPG

DSC_0490.JPG DSC_0491.JPG

Soon the canyon opens a little bit, but its still beautiful. There are a few good campsites in here.
DSC_0506.JPG DSC_0508.JPG DSC_0509.JPG

DSC_0511.JPG

We reached the junction with the North Fork (poison ivy fork). We hiked up a short distance, where we reached a very large and beautiful alcove.
DSC_0514.JPG DSC_0521.JPG

We briefly attempted to continue up canyon, but it was pretty thick with vegetation so we decided to stop. We took a break for a few hours, to let the sun go down a bit. The rest of Choprock is pretty open, dry, and hot. We started hiking again around 5pm.
DSC_0530.JPG

DSC_0532.JPG

DSC_0536.JPG
DSC_0541.JPG

Bob:
DSC_0544.JPG

Our camp night 3:
DSC_0546.JPG

Day 4 we started a little earlier, trying to beat the heat. That only lasted a short while.
DSC_0555.JPG
DSC_0559.JPG
DSC_0568.JPG

DSC_0570.JPG

DSC_0573.JPG

DSC_0576.JPG

Looking back at the beginning of Choprock:
DSC_0578.JPG

From here we followed the old mining road around the Silver Falls Bench, back to the truck.
DSC_0590.JPG

DSC_0592.JPG

DSC_0594.JPG

DSC_0601.JPG
DSC_0604.JPG

The end.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics Joey....... you make me look like I am always ahead of you hiking........but you were pushing me along.... :sneaky:

did it look like the packrafters had enough water to enjoy the escalante? Or is it still too low?

Low, two put in at Choprock and promptly hit bottom not to far away from us.

Thanks. Packrafting the escalante is on my list this year, and i was surprised to hear it was deep enough (which is isn't apparently).

Thanks. Packrafting the escalante is on my list this year, and i was surprised to hear it was deep enough (which is isn't apparently).
There are a lot deeper spots, most of what we crossed was half way to the knee, a lot of riffles. I wouldn't go this year but others are... most in the stretch I saw I would drag in my plastic kayak...

That's a low spot where they put in. One guy seemed to know the area, and what he was doing. He was helping out the second guy. My guess is you can do it, but may have a few spots where you scrape the bottom.

I'm also not a pack rafter (yet), so I don't really know how deep you need the water to be. But if I had my inner tube with me, I would have used it to float down stream.

I've read about it being done before, but it's my understanding that it's very dependent on hitting it the right time in the year. Sounds like this might not be a good year for it at all.

I am a star ...... :geek:
Don't believe it for a minute.....I needed to stop early for my dinner and sleep :moses: but Joey kept going and going.......... :frantic:

Nice work on the video. That @Bob guy sure does talk a lot.

Those Choprock narrows look so nice. How far past the narrows did the water run dry? Did you run into any at all past there? Did you have to dry camp that last night? And last question, what dates did you guys do this? Mid or late March?

Nice vid Joey. This is probably a really stupid question, but that's never stopped me before. The sign for the Hobbs inscription says it was "chopped into the rock". Is that why they call it Choprock canyon?

Great tour gentlemen. Thanks for taking us along. Did you have a dry camp that third night?

Nice vid Joey. This is probably a really stupid question, but that's never stopped me before. The sign for the Hobbs inscription says it was "chopped into the rock". Is that why they call it Choprock canyon?
The Hobbs inscription is in Silver Falls Canyon, not in Choprock. I believe he used his axe to chop the inscription. I feel like I've read somewhere that Choprock gets its name from a large rock above the canyon that looks like its chopped. But I can't remember.

Nice work on the video. That @Bob guy sure does talk a lot.

Those Choprock narrows look so nice. How far past the narrows did the water run dry? Did you run into any at all past there? Did you have to dry camp that last night? And last question, what dates did you guys do this? Mid or late March?
:) Bob actually does talk a lot, and he's pretty funny. His personality (along with his knowledge and experience) make these trips very enjoyable. I'd hike with him anytime. :)

We did this trip at the end of March. There is water for at least a mile above the narrows, up until the Poison Ivey Fork (also called the North Fork). We also found running water in the Poison Ivey Fork. Above that, things get pretty dry. We ran across a few scarce pools hiking around the Silver Falls Bench. But nothing I would depend on. I remember finding some pools in May of 2014 when I went up that way as well. But its really dry.

I wasn't actually suggesting that he doesn't talk a lot in person, or anything else. I was just trying to be funny because we don't hear him much in your video. I've never met him so I was looking forward to some Bob-isms. :)

Thanks for the intel on the water. I've had this one on my list for a long time.