Silver Falls, Choprock Canyon, Neon Canyon, Escalante River Loop

I wasn't actually suggesting that he doesn't talk a lot in person, or anything else. I was just trying to be funny because we don't hear him much in your video. I've never met him so I was looking forward to some Bob-isms. :)
I knew that's what you meant. :) He did get shy in front of the camera. :) But he is quite comical. And I like giving him a hard time, because he can laugh at it.

Oh, @Bob can talk. From experience, I know he can talk. Especially as he reminds you that he needs little water leading you out into the unknown with, for him, a day's supply (one liter) as he did with me in the Lost River mountains. "Funny thing, I don't really need much water. You know most people drink a lot more. But I...." He would carry me out on his back if I needed him to, but carry enough water for the group - that is something entirely different.

Hehe... I just squeeze water out of the rocks. I have been known to give up my water to those unfortunate enough to run out... Don't care for cameras since the days being interviewed for timber sales... Besides it's scenery videos..no one wants to listen to the old guy ramble.... They want scenery and mood music. :cool:

Walking up those narrow canyons would make me nervous.

I loved the petroglyphs and petrified wood.

That cotton wood really did a number on you.

Such a stark contrast from you up coming Glacier scenes I'm sure!

-Keith

Hey @Joey , what kind of soda-pop are you drinking at the beginning of your video? And I noticed that @Bob is curling some dumbbells along the way, how many pounds are they @Bob and how did you fit them in your pack? :)

Stashed them in joeys pack......he never knew

It's been a while since Joey's been on here. Also he's told me he doesn't count miles.

If you go to the caltopo that Joey linked at the beginning of the post you can check the profiles of the lines to see mileages.

Thinking about this loop next fall. How many miles is the loop?
I'm not sure about the miles, but as the others have said you can figure them out with google earth or the caltopo link. It seemed like only 6 or 7 miles down Silver Falls to the Escalante River. Choprock is much longer, and the route around the bench back to Silver Falls feels longer than it looks. Its also dry and exposed to the sun.

Hope you can check it out. The narrows of Choprock are one of the sweetest spots in the entire Escalante River area.

I'm not sure about the miles, but as the others have said you can figure them out with google earth or the caltopo link. It seemed like only 6 or 7 miles down Silver Falls to the Escalante River. Choprock is much longer, and the route around the bench back to Silver Falls feels longer than it looks. Its also dry and exposed to the sun.

Hope you can check it out. The narrows of Choprock are one of the sweetest spots in the entire Escalante River area.
I assume there are no really "technical" areas? Didn't see any on the video or pictures. (us old guys don't do technical climbs)

There is nothing technical or difficult, if you stay in the main canyon. Just walking with occasional places where you have to step up slickrock a few feet.

If I can find it I think I have a GPS track of Silver Falls / Choprock.......

Sorry can't find a track anywhere........ :disagree:

Awesome trip report! I’m not sure if anyone on this thread is still active, but I am thinking about doing this loop in a week or so, and I was wondering if anybody knows what the water situation is like this time of year on this loop. If anyone could let me know or point me in the right direction for finding out, I would be super grateful. Thanks!