Gear Review Sea Eagle Fast Track 385 Inflatable Kayak Review

I still love mine. It had a slow leak. Looked like either a dried pine needle or a piece of a rusted fish hook. Patched it and had no problems. Was getting ready for the first trip this year but rainy weather put a halt to the plans. I see they came out with a larger razorlite that will hold 750 pounds. With 2 people not much room for storage. Looks a little tipsy to me but like the idea. Deflated weight is the same as the 465.

The razorlight is a fun boat, but it is not nearly as stable as the fast track. For long, extended trips on flat water, the fast track is where it's at.

So this Sea Eagle... do you guys know what it weighs fully inflated? Is there a side handle to carry it like a suitcase while inflated? Any experience in how it tracks over long distance in lakes with strong winds with significant chop? I've been researching ultralight canoes for long distance paddles with long portages, and one of these may be worth considering if they track as well as a hardside canoe or 12'+ hardside kayak. Might also double as a nice sleeping pad too if you rig a tarp and bug net over it as well. I'm ready to ditch the kayaks for an oldschool canoe but I want to leave no stone unturned.

The spec weight on it is 32 pounds which sounds about right. There is no side handle. If I'm carrying it alone I usually grab it by the inside of the tube. That would suck for a long portage though. Sea Eagle sells D-ring add-on kits that you could use to add your own handle though.

I tried a handful of hard shell kayaks before buying a couple back in 2013. The one I used the most was a Pungo 140 and I liked it a lot. But after trying these, I was so eager to sell those off and never look back. These track as good or better than the Pungo or any of the others I tried and a thousand times better than the Tarpon I bought. And the stability is unreal. I'm a big guy and I can totally move around in it without tipping. I can sit sideways, dangle my feet off, even stand up probably. You really have to try to dump this thing. And if you do, they are so easy to get back into. I tried for so long one day at Lake Powell to get back into my Pungo and I absolutely could not do it. With this, I did it easily first try. And the weight carrying capacity is outstanding too. And the fact that this all rolls down into a small package makes it a no brainer to me. Storing and transporting hard shells and canoes is no fun, and this does everything they do but better for the most part. Can you tell I'm a big fan? I wish you lived closer, I'd send you out with them for a trip. After getting back out on them this last trip, I'm really itching for another Green River trip. I am planning on taking them down the Colorado into Lake Powell this August.

Thanks for the info and testimonial. I'll definitely give consideration to the sea eagle as I research. At 32 lbs it's heavier than I anticipated it would be. The boats I'm looking into now are these, http://placidboatworks.com/ but man are they pricey.
Price List - http://placidboatworks.com/2015pric.html
At 18 lbs and room for a dog and a week's worth of gear, they are pretty damn sexy though. I'd be looking for something with something approaching these specs but with less of a price tag.. if that even exists. If it doesn't. the sea eagle may be something to consider. This is the model I've been eying http://placidboatworks.com/spitfire.html I'm in no way a purist of any sort, but I must admit, there's a rugged, brawny simplicity to throwing a classic shaped canoe upside down on your shoulders and carrying it through the woods that appeals to me. Not that style points should matter, but perhaps it was all of these logos on the NFCT maps and blazes along the portages that made me feel like a cupcake pulling my kayak on a wheeled cart.

NFCT.png

I'll definitely consider the sea eagle though. The storage factor of an IK is attractive as well. I'd probably have to get rid of my 2 kayaks just to make room for the canoe in my garage.

Im looking to buy either the sea eagle fasttrack or a jackson tripper 12. I have a few questions if yu guys got time.

Its been what over a year and a half since this review was posted.

1. Are you feeling about the kayak better, worse or the same. And if worse could you please explain why

2. How many times have you had to patch the kayak?

3. Would you still pick a IK to a hard shell?

thanks
garrett

Seat eagle is the real deal. Over time, I'm even more impressed with their products than I was when I wrote this review. They're fantastic boats, and a great company to deal with.

Nick has more experience with this particular model than I do since he's had it longer, but I also have their explorer and their SUP.

Personally, I would still go with an IK because it's a lot easier to store, carry, and manage. If size, weight, and storage isn't an issue for you, a hardshell kayak will still be quicker in the water (though less stable). The fast track is easier to paddle, has almost zero learning curve, and can carry an insane amount of weight. It's extremely stable, and very quick for an IK. If you were going to be touring in the ocean for several days, I'd get a proper hardshell kayak. For 1-3 day trips on calm water, I'll pick the Fast Track every time.

I haven't had any punctures on any of my Sea Eagle products, and I haven't been easy on them. They're extremely durable.

Welcome to BCP @garrettf. I still use these boats frequently and I love them as much or more as the first time I took them out. I don't regret getting rid of my hard shells for even a second. Being able to roll them up and put them away is one thing, but having incredible stability, ease of movement and huge load capacity is even better.

The drop stitch floor on one of my Sea Eagles got a hole in the side of it somehow. Strange since it's one of the least likely areas to get beat up. Something must have gotten stuck between it and the side tube, I guess. It was just a slow leak, but annoying. It took me a few trips to repair it. I was loaning them out frequently and that made me decide to cut back on that. Also, one of the foot pumps blew out the seal. Sea Eagle quickly replaced it at no charge. When thinking about vulnerability, I feel the need to emphasize how rough I've been on them. Just this past year I was dragging mine over rocks in the Green River and paddling through debris fields in Lake Powell. They are tough boats.

For perspective, I acquired a Tributary Tomcat Tandem last year. We took both on river and lake trips together. The Trib obviously did way better with rapids since it's self bailing, and I like it a lot. We had to stop and dump water out of the Sea Eagles a couple times since it isn't self bailing. But on flat water, the Trib was like paddling an inner tube. You just couldn't keep it straight in any direction while the Sea Eagles track like they're on rails and cut through the water way faster.

A pic from the last time I had them out in October: (and the trip report: http://backcountrypost.com/threads/return-to-fiftymile.5243/)
escalante-2015-850-41-jpg.35690

Thanks guys..if you dont mind i have a few more follow up guestions.

1. When your out on the lake or river for a day how often do you have to blow up the boats?

2. My next question I bet you have never been asked. Im a bilateral below the knee amputee. What are the chances the metal in my prosthetics causing damage to the inside of the boats? Theres nothing sharpe enough to cut me but it metal pylons and screws etc

thanks again
garrett

1. When your out on the lake or river for a day how often do you have to blow up the boats?

I haven't paid much attention but I'd guess maybe every few days at best. It's usually pretty hot with lots of sun so they stay pretty well pressurized.

2. My next question I bet you have never been asked. Im a bilateral below the knee amputee. What are the chances the metal in my prosthetics causing damage to the inside of the boats? Theres nothing sharpe enough to cut me but it metal pylons and screws etc

Highly unlikely if there aren't any sharp points. I pile stuff into them and my dog climbs all over them with no issues. I'm really not concerned about the durability at all while I'm out there. Here's a couple more trip reports of them in use:

http://backcountrypost.com/threads/ruby-horsethief.5003/
http://backcountrypost.com/threads/green-river-lakes.4968/

So, this thread just cost me ~$1500. Yup, I just bought a FastTrack based on the excellent review. Blew it up in the living room last night to make sure I had all the pieces and there weren't any holes, then folded it back up, and put it away until spring.

Couple of questions...

How gentle are you when putting it away for storage? I'm assuming it can be muscled around and strapped pretty tightly without damage.

Do you put the seats in with the kayak when you close up the storage bag or do you store them separate?

Did most of you stick with the foot pump or spring for the electric?

Looking forward to taking this on our family camping trips this summer and tooling around the lake and river near my house on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How gentle are you when putting it away for storage? I'm assuming it can be muscled around and strapped pretty tightly without damage.

I'm anything but gentle with them. Beat the crap out of 'em, you're fine. Did you catch the video of them driving the jeep over it?

Do you put the seats in with the kayak when you close up the storage bag or do you store them separate?

I put the seats in with the storage bag. We're talking about the one that cinches down around it, not the luggage bag, right? I'm not a fan of the luggage bag. Too bulky.

Did most of you stick with the foot pump or spring for the electric?

Still on the foot pump. The electric isn't necessary at all. You can have the whole thing inflated with minimal effort in like 5 minutes.

Congrats on the purchase. I still have zero regrets ditching my hard shells in favor of these. I still use them frequently and really enjoy them.

I'm anything but gentle with them. Beat the crap out of 'em, you're fine. Did you catch the video of them driving the jeep over it?

I did see the video, but I was concerned more with how a bad crease or fold might affect the hull during long term storage. Sounds like I shouldn't have to worry. That's good.

I put the seats in with the storage bag. We're talking about the one that cinches down around it, not the luggage bag, right? I'm not a fan of the luggage bag. Too bulky.

Yes, that's the one. I folded up the kayak and tightened up the bag before opening the box with the seats. That's when I got to wondering if I should put them in the bag. But, being lazy, I didn't want to undo everything again for the third time (forgot the keel the first time).

Still on the foot pump. The electric isn't necessary at all. You can have the whole thing inflated with minimal effort in like 5 minutes.

I was hoping you'd say that. My test went pretty easy with the foot pump, but wasn't sure if that would start to become an issue over time and in varying environments (beach, etc).

Congrats on the purchase. I still have zero regrets ditching my hard shells in favor of these. I still use them frequently and really enjoy them.

Like I said before, your reviews and trip reports are what really sold me on this. Can't wait to get it on the water. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0011.jpg 0041.jpg 0151.jpg 0271.jpg 20160312_104551.jpg 20160312_110837.jpg 0231.jpg 0151.jpg

I want to thank you for all the help. As you can see I went with the fasttrack. Ive taken the kayak out twice now. The 1st time i was solo so I could get feel for it and the 2nd time with the some friends with hard shells. My friends couldnt belive how well it tracked and it kept up with them without any problems. They were in only 9 foot boats though. I found a cheap kayak cart was the easiest for me to get the baot to the water solo with all the gear and my dog. We did 6 miles today ..and im hooked.
Thanks again
Garrett

View attachment 41098 View attachment 41099 View attachment 41101 View attachment 41102 View attachment 41105 View attachment 41107 View attachment 41108 View attachment 41109

I want to thank you for all the help. As you can see I went with the fasttrack. Ive taken the kayak out twice now. The 1st time i was solo so I could get feel for it and the 2nd time with the some friends with hard shells. My friends couldnt belive how well it tracked and it kept up with them without any problems. They were in only 9 foot boats though. I found a cheap kayak cart was the easiest for me to get the baot to the water solo with all the gear and my dog. We did 6 miles today ..and im hooked.
Thanks again
Garrett

Awesome! Your pics are making me crave some paddling!

Great review!
I just sold my 9' Ocean Kayak Frenzy's in hopes of getting a more portable IK. I really like what I see in the Sea Eagles. Having a hard time picking between the Explorer or the Fast Track, and picking size. I'd appreciate some input from anyone with experience.

What I'm looking for: I am 6'5" tall and weigh about 215lbs. I plan to spend most of the time paddling on lakes or mellow rivers, and maybe an occasional ocean bay. I don't see myself doing any hardcore whitewater rafting, but it'd be nice to have the ability to go down some fun stuff if I ever get the opportunity or to ride a small wave in the ocean on a very rare if ever occasion.. I will usually have my 5'9" wife with me and/or at least one kid. I have two kids (currently 6 and 8) but we still have a children's kayak for one of them. We will mostly be paddling around, exploring lakes, and I would also like to get into a little fishing. I may even go for the motor mount/trolling motor option at some point.

My concerns are: Size - I am an over packer and would love to go big so we could all pile in with an ice chest and fishing poles, but the 15'3" fast track seems really long. The explorer 420 at 14' seems a little more manageable but still pretty long. It'd probably fine for the family, but then what about when I want to go out by myself - is it too hard to maneuver with one person? Is the smaller size too small for my requirements?
Stability - the explorer looks like it might be a little more stable for 3 or 4 people - is that true? With the fast track being so low on the water it looks like water would get in easy when kids and adults get in and out.
Water in the kayak - I don't mind getting wet when we're paddling on a lake in the summer with swimsuits on, but if I start using it to fish on cold days, it'd be nice to stay dry. The fastrack looks so low that water could get in easier. But on the other hand, I read a review of the explorer that said the drain holes leaked so they got wet no matter what. Any thoughts on that?

I'm not interested in setting speed records on the lake, so if the explorer is more stable and dry but paddles just a little less efficiently I'd be OK with that. On the other hand, I keep reading that the fast track is the way to go for anything but whitewater.

Sorry it's so wordy, but I just can't make up my mind. So please, any thoughts on size and model based on your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
D.M.

I love my Razorlight.... Not as stable as a fast track but it's amazing how it covers distance so easily. In your situation the fast track would probably be the best option as its still incredibly stable.

Great review!
I just sold my 9' Ocean Kayak Frenzy's in hopes of getting a more portable IK. I really like what I see in the Sea Eagles. Having a hard time picking between the Explorer or the Fast Track, and picking size. I'd appreciate some input from anyone with experience.

What I'm looking for: I am 6'5" tall and weigh about 215lbs. I plan to spend most of the time paddling on lakes or mellow rivers, and maybe an occasional ocean bay. I don't see myself doing any hardcore whitewater rafting, but it'd be nice to have the ability to go down some fun stuff if I ever get the opportunity or to ride a small wave in the ocean on a very rare if ever occasion.. I will usually have my 5'9" wife with me and/or at least one kid. I have two kids (currently 6 and 8) but we still have a children's kayak for one of them. We will mostly be paddling around, exploring lakes, and I would also like to get into a little fishing. I may even go for the motor mount/trolling motor option at some point.

My concerns are: Size - I am an over packer and would love to go big so we could all pile in with an ice chest and fishing poles, but the 15'3" fast track seems really long. The explorer 420 at 14' seems a little more manageable but still pretty long. It'd probably fine for the family, but then what about when I want to go out by myself - is it too hard to maneuver with one person? Is the smaller size too small for my requirements?
Stability - the explorer looks like it might be a little more stable for 3 or 4 people - is that true? With the fast track being so low on the water it looks like water would get in easy when kids and adults get in and out.
Water in the kayak - I don't mind getting wet when we're paddling on a lake in the summer with swimsuits on, but if I start using it to fish on cold days, it'd be nice to stay dry. The fastrack looks so low that water could get in easier. But on the other hand, I read a review of the explorer that said the drain holes leaked so they got wet no matter what. Any thoughts on that?

I'm not interested in setting speed records on the lake, so if the explorer is more stable and dry but paddles just a little less efficiently I'd be OK with that. On the other hand, I keep reading that the fast track is the way to go for anything but whitewater.

Sorry it's so wordy, but I just can't make up my mind. So please, any thoughts on size and model based on your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
D.M.
I am glad I got the 465. I have no problem at all when I am by myself. I prefer to stretch my legs out and when there are 2 adults and gear onboard, the smaller would not allow for that.

The walls are not high. When my sisters younger grandkids are onboard, I remove their seats and have them sit on the floor. I think the smaller tubes make it easier to paddle but for toddlers they are easy to scoot over the top of.

It only takes a grain of sand when screwing in the drain valves to cause them to leak so I watch out for that. I don't use mine in the ocean but I do use it in Lake Michigan. NOT the best kayak when seas are greater than 2 feet. On Lake Michigan waves run closer to each other than then when on the ocean. With only 2 drain valves water can't get out as fast as it comes in.

As for water getting in when boarding, that will happen but it's not excessive. On rivers about the only onboard water comes from paddle drip.

Thanks for the info. There were talks about a head to head comparison of the Explorer vs the Fasttrack - did you guys ever put that together? If not, could you maybe talk a little about the differences, likes, dislikes of both?

Thanks,
D.M.

Thanks for the info. There were talks about a head to head comparison of the Explorer vs the Fasttrack - did you guys ever put that together? If not, could you maybe talk a little about the differences, likes, dislikes of both?

Thanks,
D.M.
Oh forget it! I can't wait any longer. I was going to buy from a non sea eagle site to save a few bucks, but I realized that sea eagle offers a really attractive 180 day trial period if you buy direct. Can't beat that. So, I pulled the trigger and got what I'm guessing everyone would recommend - the fasttrack 465. I didn't want to wait too long because I would like to use it on a camping trip on a lake in a few weeks.

Thanks to Dori and o2bav8 for the input and all the reviewers for the great write up.

D.M.