Personal Locator Beacon Recommendations?

Thanks for everyone's help!
This is what I bought.

View attachment 61983

I thought I was going to get the more expensive red one...Explorer, but the guy helping me didn't list anything that I would need the red for.
I know it makes my family happy and I am sure it will give me peace of mind. I already told my folks that we will have to set up ground rules about messaging me though haha
Did the kitten come with it? Did you have to take it back too?

Yeah I continue to get free cats with my backpacking purchases... strangest thing! Decided to keep her though :geek:

Oh that’s funny! Tell me where you shop again? LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh that’s funny! Tell me where you shop again? LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same as you dear, same as you. I just exude crazy cat lady. People be tossing me cats left and right!

In all honesty, I just have two. And they happen to be around when I have new gear lol

I have an inreach and I actually feel like the biggest case for owning it (text capability in particular) is as much about potential vehicle issues as actually being out in the wild. I do a lot of remote trips solo out of cell range and it would reeeealy suck to have a vehicle problem with no one around and no way to get some help.

Very true!
My friend and I are doing a hike in May that is infamous for people getting stuck for several days. They say on the wilderness website "Our wildnerness lets you leave, when it wants you to" hah!

That's great that you have cats and all, but are they ultralight?

Haha the one with the Garmin, Minnow, is UL at 6.4 lbs. She is actually over a year now, she is a petite.
My other cat...Sinister, she is NOT. She is coming at 16.3 lbs.
20170602_233447.jpg

I wasn't planning on upgrading to the SPOT X so soon, but they gave me an upgrade offer I couldn't refuse, so now I'm going to test it out for a while and see if I want to keep it or not.

img_8204-640x425.jpg

I wasn't planning on upgrading to the SPOT X so soon, but they gave me an upgrade offer I couldn't refuse, so now I'm going to test it out for a while and see if I want to keep it or not.

img_8204-640x425.jpg
Hadn't heard about that one yet. Looks awesome. The monthly pricing seems a bit steep compared to InReach, but I like that the unit itself is a little less costly up front. Be sure to report back on how you like it. I'm on the market for a satellite communication device for the backcountry, but I'm not sure what I'll get just yet.

Hadn't heard about that one yet. Looks awesome. The monthly pricing seems a bit steep compared to InReach, but I like that the unit itself is a little less costly up front. Be sure to report back on how you like it. I'm on the market for a satellite communication device for the backcountry, but I'm not sure what I'll get just yet.

I just looked up the inreach monthly pricing and all of the plans except one are more expensive than the SPOT and you only get 10 messages with that one?

Pricing is cheaper for sure.

Blackberry keyboard made me snicker, but inReach's input method is so useless you more or less have to use the phone app to compose messages anyway.

I just looked up the inreach monthly pricing and all of the plans except one are more expensive than the SPOT and you only get 10 messages with that one?
Oh! Guess my memory didn't serve me correctly. Then that's even better. Great!