Personal Locator Beacon Recommendations?

The other thing the InReach provides is a personal web site where friends and family can follow your progress in semi-real time. With a modest service plan the web page updates every ten minutes. You can also post to Facebook and Twitter if you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other thing the InReach provides is a personal web site where friends and family can follow your progress in semi-real time. With a modest service plan the web page updates every ten minutes. You can also post to Facebook and Twitter if you choose.

Can do this with the SPOT, too.

I think the biggest potential problem with a PLB is there is no way to leave "breadcrumbs" along the way. When I hike with the Delorme, I "ping' my wife with a "everything is fine" message a couple times a day. That message automatically includes my location (pretty sure that Spot allows the same thing). That at least narrows down where to find my body (alive or dead) if something goes wrong, like falling off a cliff. With a PLB, no one knows where you are unless you are able to push a button. Just something to think about.

The way I think about it is that since I've survived hundreds of days outdoors, the odds of something going seriously wrong are obviously not that high. Then, even assuming that a rescue needs to be called in, what are the odds that I'm still living but not able to press a button on a PLB? This possibility seems remote enough that I'm not sure it needs to be planned for.

On the other hand, I can see perhaps an argument that if I got killed, an always-on device would reduce the time SAR had to spend looking for me, thus presumably reducing the risk of something bad happening to someone else just because something bad happened to me.

I believe that the ACR PLB has a signal strength roughly an order of magnitude greater than the SPOT, etc Reception of a rescue signal seems far more important than other considerations. I'd much rather ensure that Search'n'Rescue knows where I am than being able to text friends, etc. Leaving a detailed itinerary with a spouse/friend, etc would take care of the "breadcrumbs" concern.

I do wonder about the best location for the PLB. If it's in my pack, could I be too injured to reach it? If it's on a pack strap, will it get damaged in a fall? I presently have it in my pack.

<snip>

I do wonder about the best location for the PLB. If it's in my pack, could I be too injured to reach it? If it's on a pack strap, will it get damaged in a fall? I presently have it in my pack.

I have thought about this as of late. I usually have my InReach on my right-hand shoulder strap. I was thinking if I were to fall it might get ripped off and then where would I be.

I have thought about this as of late. I usually have my InReach on my right-hand shoulder strap. I was thinking if I were to fall it might get ripped off and then where would I be.

I wear an arm or ankle pocket thing, for cell phones, but I don't bring my phone. It is for essentials, like chapstick and gum, and I was planning on putting the device there, so it is STRAPPED to me.

I carry my PLB (when the LarryBoy Family Compact obligates me to do so) in my hipbelt pocket. If it's in my pack, I might as well not have it. If I'm pinned between rocks, or bleeding out, or whatever, will I have the wherewithal to unload my entire pack? Probably not.

Again, personal preference. I really try hard not to judge other people's safety matrix unless they're being obviously reckless. And I totally respect/get people who don't bring on at all.

I have used my SPOT from all kinds of places (Alaska Range, Brooks Range, SE coast, Prince William Sound, North Slope, etc) in Alaska and have had no issues with it. I like it's simplicity and as @slc_dan stated, I appreciate that it allows some disconnect from the world. I may end up transferring to some other option that allows 2 way communication in the near future for that benefit, but I do like my SPOT.

Disconnect. Yes. I do not want to be texting back and forth about the Honey Do List when I get back.

The main issues with the Sat communicators is, of course, cost, and the fact that you have to have a clear sky to communicate. My experience is with SPOT, a company I dislike for their business practices but I have bought in already. The SPOT device will not communicate in anything other than clear sky. It does not work in canyons either based on my experience. The SPOT also requires that it be placed with the logo facing vertical in order to track. I have put a velcro pad on the top of my packs and fix the SPOT there when I want to track. It also has to be some feet away from another GPS to avoid interference.

If I had do it over I would get a PLB which is the cheapest, most trouble free option, or a current or future InReach that has full GPS capability plus communication features.

Thanks for everyone's help!
This is what I bought.

15195116979171870731536.jpg

I thought I was going to get the more expensive red one...Explorer, but the guy helping me didn't list anything that I would need the red for.
I know it makes my family happy and I am sure it will give me peace of mind. I already told my folks that we will have to set up ground rules about messaging me though haha

The main issues with the Sat communicators is, of course, cost, and the fact that you have to have a clear sky to communicate. My experience is with SPOT, a company I dislike for their business practices but I have bought in already. The SPOT device will not communicate in anything other than clear sky. It does not work in canyons either based on my experience. The SPOT also requires that it be placed with the logo facing vertical in order to track. I have put a velcro pad on the top of my packs and fix the SPOT there when I want to track. It also has to be some feet away from another GPS to avoid interference.

I've had a Spot for like 8 years and I've found none of this to be true. I don't track anymore but I did for a long time and it didn't matter which way it was pointing. And the only issues I've had getting messages out have been in very narrow canyons and in alcoves and what not. Generally it does just fine, even with cloudy skies. I've also had it in proximity to another GPS plenty with no issues. I think you might have a bad one...

I thought I was going to get the more expensive red one...Explorer, but the guy helping me didn't list anything that I would need the red for.

The guy was an idiot then. The Explorer displays topographic maps which you're otherwise forced to view on your phone via the app (like those of us with the last gen models). That plus a digital compass and barometer for $50 more than the yellow one.

Free Internet advice being what it's worth, if you've got the $50 to spare the red one is worth it.

I told him I wanted Topo maps. Booo, should have decided and did the research beforehand. My bad.

Get video!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha no, it was uneventful. He wasn't there, even if he had been I am too timid.
Mostly my fault, never depend on someone else. Normally I make spreadsheets to go over pros and cons. I got lazy. :p