Permits 2019

Nick

-
This thread might be mostly applicable to the river folk around here, but can also be for everyone else going for permits in the 2019 lotteries like Glacier, etc. Share your victories, losses and frustrations.

My 2019 permit luck started out reeeeeal good today. I'll be spending 2 weeks in the Canadian and Alaskan backcountry rafting the Tatshenshini and Alsek Rivers over my 40th birthday this July. :cool:

I feel like framing this screenshot. It's the first time a permit email has ever started out with 'Congratulations' for me.

IMG_2104.jpeg

This thread might be mostly applicable to the river folk around here, but can also be for everyone else going for permits in the 2019 lotteries like Glacier, etc. Share your victories, losses and frustrations.

My 2019 permit luck started out reeeeeal good today. I'll be spending 2 weeks in the Canadian and Alaskan backcountry rafting the Tatshenshini and Alsek Rivers over my 40th birthday this July. :cool:

I feel like framing this screenshot. It's the first time a permit email has ever started out with 'Congratulations' for me.

View attachment 72851
That is so awesome. I already can't wait to see the report for this one. NW Canada is high on my list.

Nick, This is Awesome!!! Wow! This place is also on my list to see sometime. I love this whole Wrangell - St. Elias - Fairweather Area for what I have seen ... It is soooo Incredibly Awesome! Am again soooo Happy For You! Congratulations! Looking forward to your awesome trip report after your trip.

Wishing You the Best!

Congrats on the permit and for affording a condo just for your cat, Richie Rich... :twothumbs:

Super cool way to spend your 40th. When my wife and I drove to Alaska, we spent a cold rainy night at a hotel in Haines Junction vs pitching a tent somewhere nearby, woke up in the morning and loaded up the car and immediately made a wrong turn and headed south towards Haines vs. west towards Fairbanks. We pulled over to explore a lake and looking at a map we realized we were going the wrong way, we turned around and headed back to the Alcan and Fairbanks. When I think of this day, I wish we had not discovered our mistake until it was too late. All of that is just to say, it is a beautiful part of the world and I am incredibly jealous :) Looking forward to the trip report

In June of 2004 I did the full Alsek trip with the helicopter portage. That was easily one of the best trips that I have done. The Tatshenshini Arm is on my bucket list for sure. Have a great time. :DPICT0673.JPG

After a 2 1/2 hour internet fight of "blue circles of death," frozen screens, and general non-lethal mayhem, I got through for a permit to hike Havasu Falls.

Leaving around 1 pm this afternoon.

So far I've had pretty good luck securing the permits I wanted to get this year.

Besides an assortment of Canyonlands permits (plus a few more I want to get for later in the year), one person in our group got a San Juan River permit for May, I reserved an overnight trip to Keet Seel and I got the dates I wanted for Havasupai in October. Should be another great year!

Lucky dog! It should be a good year for flows. What section(s) are you doing? I was shooting for early to mid May for Sand Island to Clay Hills but we all got skunked.

We are just doing the upper portion this year....some of us (mainly me) don't have enough time for the full thing in one shot.

Grabbed a permit for the Boulderfield in Rocky Mountain NP so I can finally give Longs Peak a shot this summer and reserved a night at a Fire Lookout Tower that I've been wanted to stay at for over a decade. I decided to try to get some hard-to-get permits this year and managed to get everything I wanted (even if it was a pain-in-the-ass for a couple), so I'm pretty happy about that! Going to be crossing off some things that have been on my list for way too long!

So far I've had pretty good luck securing the permits I wanted to get this year.

Besides an assortment of Canyonlands permits (plus a few more I want to get for later in the year), one person in our group got a San Juan River permit for May, I reserved an overnight trip to Keet Seel and I got the dates I wanted for Havasupai in October. Should be another great year!

Last edited:
Struck out on river permits except for the late round Smith. Pulled one for 5/25 over memorial day.

Whaaaaaaat?! You stole my date! I swear they must be giving you Montana folk some extra entries! How many times have you been down that?

I struck out on everything but the Salt, as did everyone else I know. Holding out hope for the 2020 Grand Canyon lottery. Even going so far as to shoot for the least desirable dates in hopes of finally winning. As far as river permits go, it seems like the chances of winning one is just getting ridiculously small. Just as one example, I read that the Selway had a nearly 50% increase in applications. Nearly 6,000 competing for 62 launches. :oops:

Whaaaaaaat?! You stole my date! I swear they must be giving you Montana folk some extra entries! How many times have you been down that?

I struck out on everything but the Salt, as did everyone else I know. Holding out hope for the 2020 Grand Canyon lottery. Even going so far as to shoot for the least desirable dates in hopes of finally winning. As far as river permits go, it seems like the chances of winning one is just getting ridiculously small. Just as one example, I read that the Selway had a nearly 50% increase in applications. Nearly 6,000 competing for 62 launches. :oops:
I'm a rookie when it comes to river running. Only done the New River in West Virginia. So I have a question (hopefully not to derail the thread too much). Are there just not very many long sections of good rafting river in the country that you can run without a permit?