Permits 2019

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Nick

Spiral out.
Trip Reports
Thread starter #21
I'm a rookie when it comes to river running. Only done the New River in West Virginia. So I have a question (hopefully not to derail the thread too much). Are there just not very many long sections of good rafting river in the country that you can run without a permit?
There's lots of stuff you can do without a permit but not as much in the multi-day wilderness category. Mostly day runs by highways and that kind of thing. There are certainly some more wilderness type rivers that have less red tape and don't get the pressure of the permit lottery though. Just being in the lotteries amps up the pressure a lot, because it's then on a list. But those rivers that are permit controlled are generally that way for good reason. They're awesome and lots of people want to do it. One could argue that they could put a lot more people on most of the rivers, but I sure am glad it's limited. Even launching with 4 other groups on the Middle Fork last year, it still felt like a fantastic wilderness experience. Imagine if everyone was moving roughly the same pace down the same trail. You never run into anyone!

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Trip Reports
Whaaaaaaat?! You stole my date! I swear they must be giving you Montana folk some extra entries! How many times have you been down that?
I entered as a non-resident, just like you ;) I've been down twice and pulled a permit twice. Also been invited a few times more but hadn't gone.

I'm looking at doing a Ruby-Horsetheif in May and will have to do some juggling to make them both work.

So.. you are saying you are looking for memorial day plans?

Nick

Spiral out.
Trip Reports
Thread starter #23
So.. you are saying you are looking for memorial day plans?
Why yes, I am! I'm really good at groover duty (and any other chores) if you're looking to add a boat to your trip! :) I've got a Westwater lined up for 3/30 if you want to get some Colorado River in a little earlier. Space on my Salt trip this month too if you feel like driving 10 hours.