mattvogt7

Was lucky enough to take a casual jaunt down into Paria Canyon from the Whitehouse Trailhead. Have done this trip in a variety of ways over the years and its hard to beat the simplicity of leaving from Whitehouse. Further, the canyon below the confluence (all the way to where it opens up before ending at Lee's Ferry) is seldom traveled as it seems all the rage to do the loop from Buckskin. This has the added benefit of few crowds (mostly day hikers) below the confluence of the Paria and Buckskin.

Green-Maze-2.jpg

The hike begins with low hills and a braided river channel and gets more dramatic as you head down canyon

Green-Maze-3.jpg

I had the unfortunate experience of finding hwy 89 closed where it splits with 89a and had to make a 120 mile detour. Meaning we didn't get on the trail until almost 4. Luckily there are an abundance of nice camps early on.

Green-Maze-7.jpg

With good side hiking

Green-Maze-5.jpg

Green-Maze-6.jpg
The next day we approached "the narrows" on our way to the confluence

Green-Maze-14.jpg

Green-Maze-19.jpg

Green-Maze-23.jpg

Buckskin is a great spot to take a quick lunch break, about 8 miles from Whitehouse. Here is the view looking down canyon from the confluence.

Green-Maze-31.jpg

Now looking up canyon at the confluence, Buckskin coming in on the L, the Paria on the R

Green-Maze-32.jpg

Onward!

Green-Maze-33.jpg

Soon, the cottonwoods began to make an appearance as the canyon folded onto itself.

Green-Maze-35.jpg

Green-Maze-34.jpg

The goal for the day was "Big Spring" - a perennial gushing spring coming out of the the sandstone at roughly mile 12 from the Whitehouse TH.

Green-Maze-41.jpg

Green-Maze-43.jpg

My parents and friends would lay over at Big Spring and day hike down canyon the following day while I had that to get back home for that dreaded commitment known as "work."

Big Spring:
Green-Maze-44.jpg

The camp across from Big Spring must be a popular one, I will just say an aggressive mouse chewed through a tarp tent and into a bag of trail mix. I got lucky by hanging my pack/food

Green-Maze-47.jpg

I woke up the next morning with a slight headache from the gin and tonics the previous evening and hung out until around 10 before I headed back to Whitehouse. You can get from the TH to Big spring in about 4-5 hours. I didn't see another person all the way back to my car.

Green-Maze-46.jpg

Green-Maze-60.jpg

Green-Maze-59.jpg
It was a short trip (for me) but a great one none the less. Its very easy to go slow in the canyons of the Paria as it is a place that rewards the unhurried itinerary. Having done the through hike to Lee's Ferry the previous year I enjoy spending all my time in the canyon as the last 20 miles before meeting Lee's Ferry is a hot open slog. I can't wait to return.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Attachments

• Green-Maze-9.jpg
    Green-Maze-9.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Green-Maze-10.jpg
    Green-Maze-10.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 23
Awesome timing, I'm heading there next week!!! How long ago was this?

I love the photos, they're great!

Hey HomerJ - This was two weekends ago, weather should just be terrific for your trip, can't wait to hear about it!
Thanks! We'll be doing to popular/typical Buckskin loop.

would love to do this hike someday!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Paria Canyon- Whitehouse to Lees Ferry, Oct 18 to 21, 2023 Trip Reports 0
J Paria Canyon - One Day Trail Trip Planning 10
VegasHikeLife Paria Canyon 2022 Trip Planning 1
C Paria Canyon water source - August 2020 Trip Planning 2
R How bad is the quicksand in Paria Canyon? Trip Planning 0
C Paria Canyon Trip Reports 12
J Paria Canyon-Vermillion Cliffs Wilderness, UT-AZ Backpack: April 26-29, 2019: Days 2-4 Paria River Backpacking 3
J Paria Canyon-Vermillion Cliffs Wilderness, UT-AZ Backpack: April 26-29, 2019: Day 1 Buckskin Gulch Backpacking 2
C Paria Canyon in June Trip Planning 2
C Adams Trail to Paria Canyon General Discussion 2
VegasHikeLife Paria Canyon GPS Coord. Trip Planning 6
VegasHikeLife Paria Canyon Oct 2-5 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
S Paria Canyon 10/3 - 10/7 Trip Planning 0
Eugene Paria Canyon from White House to Big Spring Backpacking 3
M Water purification in Paria Canyon? Trip Planning 2
Bailey Question about Buckskin Gulch, Paria Canyon Backpacking 9
Howells Outdoors Backpacking through Paria Canyon Backpacking 6
TrailScot Upper Paria Loop Hike - September 2023 Backpacking 4
W Cow season in upper Paria canyons Trip Planning 0
C Paria River flows Trip Planning 5
3DegreesSouth Paria/Buckskin Boulder Jam Trip Planning 6
RyanP Buckskin/Paria questions Trip Planning 11
J Buckskin/Paria in mid Nov??? General Discussion 4
J The Grand Staircase-Escalante NM. Paria-Hackberry 10 day backpack April 23-May 2, 2017 Part 3 Backpacking 4
J Paria-Hackberry 10 Days backpacking April 23-May 2, 2017 Asay, Paria, Sheep, BVG, Willis Part 2 Backpacking 0
J In Grand Staircase (GSENM), Paria-Hackberry 10 Days backpacking April 23-May 2, 2017 Part 1 Backpacking 0
MarkintheHV Paria Shuttle Trip Planning 5
IntrepidXJ Easter Weekend Around the Paria Plateau Hiking & Camping 1
powderglut 2 Week Trip Paria/Vermilion, GSENM and Maybe Hanksville Trip Planning 4
cmgz Paria River- White House to Lee's Ferry Backpacking 4
HomerJ Buckskin Gulch - Middle Trail to the Paria Hiking & Camping 11
IntrepidXJ The Paria Plateau Hiking & Camping 10
NateGeesaman Willis Creek to Sheep Creek to Paria River - Sept 2012 Backpacking 22
IntrepidXJ Annular Solar Eclipse & The Paria Plateau Hiking & Camping 6
DOSS Tour'D Paria -- January 08 Off Road 0
John Fowler Old Paria, October, 2011 Hiking & Camping 7
Nick Buckskin Gulch & The Paria Trip Planning 17
J Reflection Canyon Trip Planning 3
fossana Found: prescription glasses near the top of the Flipoff Canyon approach General Discussion 5
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
B Buckskin gulch/Pariah canyon Carpool Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
Kullaberg63 15 day canyon route Backpacking 13
Titans Tricked in the canyon! Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
OldBill Short hike at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56