Album Panoramas and Stitched Images

A vertical stitched panorama from my quick run down to Kanarra Creek this last weekend.

kanarra_creek.jpg

for some reason bokeh panoramas make everything look tiny to me.

Last edited:
The Waterpocket Fold is one of my favorite places to visit and spend some time wandering looking for beauty. Here is a description from Steve Allen, "This area, the Waterpocket Fold, is a Navajo Sandstone wonderland that was named by Almon Thompson, a member of John Wesley Powell's second Colorado River expedition, for the many pockets of water he found among its slickrock draws, gullies, and canyons... Lush riparian habitats and vast open expanses of slickrock merge into a symphony of colors and designs." Southern Waterpocket Fold Pano by NateGeesaman, on Flickr

Some panos from our trip last week. All w/70D & Samyang 85 f/1.4.

My kids, along the Bear Tooth Highway. About 25 shots stitched.

LGA-SRA-9B-Edit-2W.jpg

The whole family (except me...), also along the BTH, 10 shots stitched.

CMA-LGA-SRA-7BW.jpg

Kids again, behind camp at Madison, 55 shots stitched.

LGA-SRA-3W.jpg

- DAA

55! That has to be one large file. I bet they blow up real well.

Wow! 55 shots!? I want to hear more about this process! They look almost like single shots but more awesome. What are you doing?

Files do get pretty big. I either shoot in, or convert to small jpegs before the stitching though. With that many shots, even using 1024's results in a many megapixel file.

Nick, if you google "brenizer method" you'll find more than you ever wanted to know. Basically though, it's a way to get shots with a DSLR, even my crop body 70D, that emulate what would normally only be possible using medium format. In the one above with 55 shots, I was using an 85mm at f/1.4 and standing close enough that I actually needed more than one shot just to cover the kids. Hence so many shots - with plenty of overlap - to get that wide shot. The result is something equivalent to using a 30mm f/.4 on a FF or something nutty like that. I think you can actually find calculators online to show exactly what the fictional lens equivalent would be. But the point being, there is no such lens, especially not on a crop body DSLR - but by stitching panos, you can get the same wide angle w/shallow DOF.

- DAA

BTW... I was using CS5 to do these and it's slow and it sucks. Tried MS ICE, which is a free download (Windows only though...) and it's WAY faster, way easier and succeeded in stitching where CS5 was actually locking up and crashing. So anyone on Windows that wants to play with this, I recommend MS ICE - it's free and easy, how can you not like that!

- DAA

Thanks Jared. As you know, I didn't even know about this until you told me about it. Getting the people to sit still, it helps when you are their Dad and can threaten them with physical violence for non cooperation and at the same time bribe them with ice cream for going along with the program :D.

- DAA

Just remembered/realized something kinda funny about this too. Note in the bridge picture of the kids, Logan has a death grip on Summer. That was "Take Two" :roflmao:.

- DAA

Some impressions of our Utah trip 2014 - all stitched Images - pt. I

Sunset over western Boulder Mail Trail.
BMT_O_SS_sm.jpg

Pool in Mamie Creek.
MamieCrk_Pool_sm.jpg

Mamie Creek Natural Bridge.
MamieCrk_sm.jpg