Pandemic? What pandemic?

Been like that since mid June... Traffic on hwy 20 thru island park in morning and evening is nonstop....
Absolute mayhem the times I've driven through this summer. Also crazy to see that big new Springhill Suites right along Henry's Fork. Kinda ruins the rustic feel of the area (if that wasn't already jeopardized by the massive numbers of people and the UTVs ripping up and down along the highway). Looked it up just now and rooms there are going for nearly $1000 per night this weekend. Unreal.

It’s much the same in the northeast around the popular hiking trails. We drove by one of the trailheads on Rt. 2 west of Gorham, NH, on Saturday and there were at least 100 vehicles parked in the lot and along the road.

Absolute mayhem the times I've driven through this summer. Also crazy to see that big new Springhill Suites right along Henry's Fork. Kinda ruins the rustic feel of the area (if that wasn't already jeopardized by the massive numbers of people and the UTVs ripping up and down along the highway). Looked it up just now and rooms there are going for nearly $1000 per night this weekend. Unreal.
That's not so bad....but island park now has gone from hardly any housing to a abundance. 30 cabins by Robbins roost. 6 pads and 10 small cabins by Connie's. Another motel and small cabins in last chance.... Wait till the economy busts again....

Last I heard, 1.4 million visitors since the park reopened. I don't get the appeal of going on vacation to sit in a queue. Always did want to visit the Pinedale Rendezvous in July, but crowds and mosquitoes have always vetoed that idea.

At least the data used to track out of state cellphones in Teton County shows a sharp drop off in visitors in the next few weeks. Hope that and reductions in temporary summer help will reduce virus numbers too. Looking forward to my Winds trip in 3 weeks. :cool:

Now with living here in Jackson, Wyoming, can say something on this. Now once the main summer season hit, it has been crazy with tons of tourists here in town. Do think with all of the foreign travel being off because of the virus, do think many people thought of seeing the American Parks like Yellowstone and Grand Teton. A couple of weeks ago I rode my bike up to Jenny and String Lakes up in Grand Teton NP. The people and the cars were absolutely everywhere!!! But it is August so the remaining nice days are numbered. So Bring On The Snow!!!

W. entrance to Yellowstone at about noon, today (Aug. 3, 2020):

View attachment 90352
Read the recent reviews. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/four-lakes-and-siligo-peak-loop
I did this walk last year last week of August saw maybe 12 other hikers.
Humans are the worst thing to ever happen to this planet.

Read the recent reviews. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/four-lakes-and-siligo-peak-loop
The reviews are really sad, people have to trash everything.

Here in W. Colorado, there are people out everywhere, many in brand new campers and huge fifth-wheelers towing ATVs and every motor toy imaginable. OTOH, I was out in a remote area nobody knows about (except maybe Randy L., @gnwatts, @Udink and a few others - PM me if you want to know where), and there was nobody, not one vehicle around. It was hot, but wonderful.

Stuff like this always gets me internally conflicted because everyone has the right to go out and enjoy public places, but at the same time, things like Alltrails and social media (and even stuff like this site) have really sped up the discovery and degradation of a lot of places. Unless it's a very recognizable place, I just don't name any locations anymore. Doing the legwork to scout out somewhere interesting on maps is a big part of the fun, and I can keep the fruits of those efforts to myself.

Stuff like this always gets me internally conflicted because everyone has the right to go out and enjoy public places, but at the same time, things like Alltrails and social media (and even stuff like this site) have really sped up the discovery and degradation of a lot of places. Unless it's a very recognizable place, I just don't name any locations anymore. Doing the legwork to scout out somewhere interesting on maps is a big part of the fun, and I can keep the fruits of those efforts to myself.
Not far from us is Castle lake which according to my daughter has become a must for the instagram set. What was a moderately used lake is now over run.
I went last week to go for a swim and was greeted by a diaper floating in the water. Anecdotal I accept.

I'm conflicted as well. I try to visit places and leave only footprints whilst taking only pictures, but sometimes I really do want to know where to find some cool thing--slot, ruin, rock art, hot pool, swirly rock, neat formation, etc. I look around and find sites that will tell me where exactly to go (ARGH, no) or point me in the general direction sometimes by putting it on a map, sometimes by a photo with some distinguishing marks I can look for, or the like (much better options). An example for me is the elf's slipper formation in Spring Canyon at Capitol Reef. There is enough in the geology book you buy in the gift shop to find it. Even if you don't buy the book, go to the shop, take a look, and then go buy a pie! (I did both).

With a site like this, you still have to be able to search and find the information you are looking for. It requires a little effort to figure things out, and that does weed out a lot of people. I find that apps like Alltrails are much worse as there is not much effort needed to find places using that kind of app, which really brings out the crowds.

Back