Packrafts. The thread.

Practicing surf launch and landings at Newport Beach, December 2014. It was more intense than we anticipated with the moderate 4'-5' steeply breaking waves. Punching thru going out required a fair bit of swift powerful paddling and impeccable timing. With this kind of sea you did not want to be on a breaker!

Coming in was easier, but not without issues. Instead of being flipped backwards as would happen going out with wrong timing, it was mostly the less scary broaching and then flipping. True surfing was difficult to master.

In either direction the boat took on a fair bit of water, even when successful (upright!). Having a spraydeck off course would help this, but with the violent capsizes I think the raft would be damaged and we drown!

by kullaberg631, on Flickr
Getting the timing right.

Cresting at the last second...

..successfully on the outside. Packraft shadow visible thru wave.

Spotter being sacked by wave. Great fun day!

Thanks for all the great info @Kullaberg63. I'm ordering my packraft this afternoon and I'm still a bit torn on the spray skirt or not. I guess I could always have one added later on if needed. I don't do whitewater, so it'd mainly be for cold trips to keep me dry(er).

I'm ordering my packraft this afternoon and I'm still a bit torn on the spray skirt or not. I guess I could always have one added later on if needed. I don't do whitewater, so it'd mainly be for cold trips to keep me dry(er).

We're excited for you (and Tess?) to get your packraft (s)! Let us know what you decide on color, spraydeck, paddle, etc.

My buddy took his packraft down to Florida this past weekend. I'm curious to see how he put it to use. The one text I got from him mentioned paddling amongst the crocs. Yikes! (Though they're supposedly docile this time of year).

Tess (5'4")
Alpaca (nautical blue)
+ bow bag

Steve (5'6")

I'm torn between a Yukon Yak and an Alpaca. My height indicates an alpaca would be better, but i'm afraid of being wedged in there all day. I think a Yukon Yak might get me a bit more room. @Kullaberg63, do you wish your boat fit a little snugger? primary use is low-flow creekboating, and packrafting across flat water, or class II and below (with the occasional Class II).

Red Yukon Yak (sierra red)
+ bow bag

I assume each packraft comes with a seat and inflation bag?

I'm still torn on paddle. Research shows something aroud 200 inches is about right. I'll probably get our paddles from backcountry.com

I know you used mine a little on the Provo River that one day, but I could let you borrow my Yak for a few days so you can see how you fit in it.

Yeah, they come with a seat and inflation bag. (Seems like you have to install your own seat though).

I'm 5'4'" and I have the Alpacka. There isn't a whole lot of room left. If you aren't going to use it for whitewater, I'd size up to the Yukon. You can bring more stuff :)

I'm intrigued by the Kokopelli packrafts. They look like they need another year of development, but the price is right

I really like the storage zipper within the boat, that's genius.

I'm intrigued by the Kokopelli packrafts. They look like they need another year of development, but the price is right

I can see why you're intrigued. Might work for ya. They have some features I like. It's always good to have some competition in the market to push innovation and maybe bring the price down.

Well, I placed my order for 2 alpacka alpacas (one is for @Tess). I was tempted to get a Yukon Yak for myself and attach the seat a few inches forward for increased cargo space behind me, but Nancy convinced me that the alpaca is the right size for me. She told me that the new 2014 design is shaped differently from the 2010-2013 design. Even though the dimensions are the same as the older model, you sit farther back in the new model and have a bit more room than previous models. I guess we'll see how I like it when it comes in.

Regardless, they have a 15 day return policy, so if I feel totally squashed in it, I can swap it out for a Yukon. I'm STOKED. Now all I need some paddles, an airline blow-up vests for flatwater, and a spot to test it out where it isn't icy.

I ended up going with the Aquabound Manta Ray Carbon 4-piece for paddles. We'll see how we like them. Since we don't plan on anything above class 3 whitewater, I figure it should be just right.

20150205_225433.jpg

Fender's not too sure about this packrafting thing and @Tess is too busy deciding which luna sandals she wants.

I feel like the alpaca might be a tiny bit too small for me. When you guys are paddling, are your feet pressed against the inside of the nose of the boat? Are your knees bent much, or can you stretch your legs out totally flat? If I deflate the backrest completely and scoot back all the way, then I have room to lay my legs out with a slight bend. Otherwise, with the seat back inflated, I sit far enough forward that my knees stick up to the height of the top of the tubes. It also kinda feels like the seat sits too far back, like it wants to tip me forward rather than have me sink in to it. Maybe it's over-inflated. Width-wise my feet feel a little jammed in the nose of the boat, especially with shoes on. Is this pretty normal?

I'm sure I'm over-thinking it, but for the price of these, I want to make sure I get one that fits me right. I'm curious if a Yukon Yak would be a better fit for me. Alpacka has a cool 15 day return policy, even if I use it in the water during those 15 days. So I'm going to try to get out in it this weekend and see if it bothers me while paddling. These new boats are quite a bit longer than the old ones, and that long stern looks like it should prevent me from falling backwards into a hole.

Fender doesn't look too sure about that at all. if I remember correctly my feet are pretty jammed in the front and my knees are slightly bent.sometimes I do deflate the backrest for more room for my legs. I packed up my pack raft and I'll throw it in my car and maybe I can get it to you sometime tomorrow so you can compare. Although, I'm not sure how much the design has changed from when I bought mine.

My knees are slightly bent in the Alpacka. You get more control that way than legs straight out, I like to push against the sides with my knees in rapids similar to a whitewater kayak. The tapered sterns do keep you from back-endering into a hole, but for easy class 3 and lower it wont be much of an issue.

Good stuff, thanks guys. Here's my sitting position with the backrest fully inflated. Feet are kinda jammed in there. Moreso with my hiking boots (though it sounds like this might be a good thing?) I wonder if it would get uncomfortable sitting like this for a few hours without being able to stretch my legs. I guess I could always put my legs outside the boat on calmer sections.

20150206_074002.jpg

20150206_073817.jpg

20150206_073833.jpg

20150206_073901.jpg

With the backrest deflated i get a little more room, but I'm not sure I'd want to paddle with the backrest deflated.

20150206_073951.jpg

biggerboat_0.png

that boat will work fine, but if its more comfort you want...which you probably will on the mostly flat water/class I-II runs like Escalante R, San Rafael, Muddy Creek, Dirty Devil...you might be glad you went a size bigger. I'm coming from more of a whitewater background where control is more important so I like to be in there pretty snug. But if I had to do it again, I'd probably get the Yak so I could bring my dog along on some trips.

and it probably doesn't have a self bailing floor. So going thru any whitewater would require stopping and emptying often.

the ladies at alpacka agree that a Yukon Yak would be a better fit for my needs. I'll be sending it back and swapping it for a yak. Thanks guys!

Definitely no self-bailing floor on these, which is fine by me.