Packrafts. The thread.

Is there a trick to inflating packrafts that I am not aware of. By the time its 95% full and I unscrew the inflation bag, even after pinching it, I lose a lot of air from inside. The valve(this is kokopelli packraft) is just so hard to manipulate with finger and by the time I can get it closed, I lose lot of air.

My Kokopelli has a two-stage valve. I use the air bag to get it 80% full. Then I screw in the stopper, unscrew the cap to the one-way valve and give it two good lungfuls to top off.

My Kokopelli has a two-stage valve. I use the air bag to get it 80% full. Then I screw in the stopper, unscrew the cap to the one-way valve and give it two good lungfuls to top off.
I feel so stupid now, was going insane for a while there. Apparently pipe used for inflating with mouth, valve in it wasn't fully open. No wonder I couldn't finish off the inflating. :)

Looking for some advice, does anyone have experience using parts of a pack raft as a sleeping pad? My thinking is that I could cut down on some weight, but is it worth it?

Looking for some advice, does anyone have experience using parts of a pack raft as a sleeping pad? My thinking is that I could cut down on some weight, but is it worth it?
I've never used a packraft, but I guarantee I wouldn't want to use one as a sleeping pad. I'm kind of picky when it comes to sleeping pads though. I think it would be more suitable to use it as part of a shelter system (and don't bring a tent/tarp--or bring a smaller tarp), assuming you're somewhere (like Canyonlands/Escalante/etc) where you don't expect it to rain anyway. I wonder if people do that?

I've thought about this too-- but never actually tried it. at least the packrafts I've used, have not been shaped in a way that would allow this to work very well. you could use a completely deflated packraft as sort of a burly ground cloth, but I'm not sure that's super useful. and this requires deflating/inflating the thing every day, not a huge deal but sort of a waste of time.
anyhow, all I've done with a packraft at night is clip it to something heavy so it won't blow away.

also there are some youtube videos about people sleeping on packrafts, maybe check those out

I have to look into those videos. My packraft has a removable floor, so I was more thinking about using that.

I've seen a friend do it before on a 3 night trip. I think it worked out alright for him. I vaguely remember him snoring and keeping me up! Haha.

packraft as a pad1.JPG

packraft as a pad2.JPG

packraft as a pad3.JPG

I know some of us already own and use these fickle contraptions, whether for remote whitewater runs or simply crossing a body of water on a long wilderness journey.

Yesterday morning at the put in on the San Rafael there were 7 (seven!!) Alpackas being launched within 20 minutes. These things might soon go from fringe to mainstream, like fatbikes and basejumping has.

Before that happens let us become well informed enthusiasts!

image by kullaberg631, on Flickr
I hadn't heard of this boat before so I googled around a bit and saw some interesting reviews.

I'm not sure I'd sleep on just my packraft. The surface is way to sticky to avoid trashing my quilt when I roll around in the night. But perhaps bringing 1/8" foam to lay on top of it would do the trick! Definitely worthy of an experiment.

I'm in the 'excited newbie' stage of packrafting where everything's novel and thrilling, so I intend to lean into it and have a blast :)