Outdoors News Stories

You know what really sucked about this? It's the second mountain lion removed from a populous area in Utah that died after the DWR got ahold of it. Don't even get me started on this topic.

Looks like dozens of people have had to be evacuated out of Yosemite due to the wildfire that just erupted near Half Dome over there. Pretty crazy to think of the drought California is suffering through right now and then think about the record rain and flooding the Phoenix area just got.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/yosemite-wildfire-leads-helicopter-evacuations-25340504
Been keeping track of this online. Sounds like they're hoping tomorrow's predicted calm weather & humidity will help them out.

And for anyone that heard about the lost hiker in Olympic Nat'l Park, he walked into a ranger station this morning on his own. Sounds like he lost the trail in fog. Lucky guy he made it out okay. http://www.thenewstribune.com/2014/...hiker-walks-out-on-his.html?sp=/99/289/&ihp=1

Thanks for the info. I guess this year's stats will have a bear death. I guess I always figured the Brooks Lake area was in the Absarokas, but I guess it's the extreme north end of the Winds.

Or even the Gros Ventre range? I'm on my phone and can't really look at a good map right now.

I guess maybe it is, I don't know. I just saw a mention of the wind rivers in the article.

Brooks is Absaroka's......on the north side of the divide. Especially 3 miles north...unless there is another Brook's lake in the Winds.

Yeah, it was in the Teton Wilderness, somewhere around Cub Creek, which is about 3-4 miles north of Brooks Lake. Crazy, because I just did a backpacking trip right there along Cub Creek in late July. Lots of grizzly sign up the creek, including cub prints. Still waiting to hear more specific information about it

Whoa, sobering report. I would really like to have details to update my threat assessment. Sounds like he was solo, in active grizzly habitat and may have stumbled upon a bear protecting a kill(s). Condolences to his family. Sounds like he was doing important work.

Absaroka's have a lot of Griz, Cub creek area especially...... another reminder, solo is not all that great in certain areas.

And no bear spray. All that seems especially weird since it sounds like he was working.

I didn't see that he had no spray or weapon anywhere, did you?

Just for clarification Brooks Lake is East and SOUTH of the Divide not far from Togwotee Pass. The Divide Crest East of there is my favorite place on earth. Odd to me Fremont County Coroner made determination when Jackson was far closer than Lander. I solo up there all the time but was indeed charged by a large boar grizzly less than 10 miles form this "attack" location in 2012. Here's a shot of the Cub Creek drainage from the Divide Crest.

Attachments

• Absaroka Cub Creek June 2103.jpg
    Absaroka Cub Creek June 2103.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 25