Noobs: Introduce Yourself!

sixstringsteve - Nice video. Sounds like you'll have a great trip. I'm tentatively planning to do it in eight or nine days. I'd like to climb Kings Peak while I'm back in there and it's so close. It rained eleven of the fourteen days on my Yellowstone/Teton Wilderness hike in September. I just got used to hiking in the rain a good portion of the time.

Younts Peak during a drizzle - heading for the saddle between Younts Peak and Thorofare Mountain in the Teton Wilderness

This site seems to have a wealth of good information. I am pleased to be joining you.

While hardly a noob to the outdoors I guess I am to this site (although I have been watching it for almost a year now.) My name is Scott and I currently live in SLC, UT. Avid hiker, recreational photographer, and canyoneer with constantly growing interests and skills in outdoor activities. It was somewhat of a New Year's resolution to join so I suppose I can check that one off the list! I'm excited to be a piece of this community.

New to the group! Live in the Salt Lake City area. Photographer. Always up for an adventure. Never enough free time. Look forward to meeting others, and excited to read about your experiences.

New to the group! Live in the Salt Lake City area. Photographer. Always up for an adventure. Never enough free time. Look forward to meeting others, and excited to read about your experiences.

Welcome! I really enjoy your photos on Flickr, glad to see you 'round these parts. :)

New guy here , can't wait for the weather to get better . Looking forward to working off my christmas calories this season. First trip will be in the spring to the summit of Table Mt.

Hi I am Eugene
Been backpacking for a number of years and just started looking around on Backcountrypost.
Right now looking for a spring hike - getting a bit harder as we have done quite a bit in the SW - Grand Canyon, Grand Gulch, some in Escalante, Zion, Bryce and Canyonlands. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Welcome Eugene. What general area do you live in? I'm guessing St George area?

Welcome Eugene. What general area do you live in? I'm guessing St George area?
Nope not close - Houston Texas. Backpacking becomes a major week trip - fly out and then hike. Generally we have 3-5 of us flat landers doing a couple trips a year (I am retired so I try to do 3 or more)

Very cool. Capitol Reef NP is a cool place to visit in the Spring, as is Great Basin NP. Neither's not as populated as Zion, Canyonlands, or Grand Canyon.

Very cool. Capitol Reef NP is a cool place to visit in the Spring, as is Great Basin NP. Neither's not as populated as Zion, Canyonlands, or Grand Canyon.
But does it have any real backpacking areas? What I have seen seems more like day hikes.

ah, I read spring hike, not 3-4 day backpacking trip. I'm sure you could turn those into backpacking trips if you got creative enough.

Hey all. Great forum and site. Stumbled upon a few days ago and have been hooked. Operate out of Atlanta, although a recent transplant from north. Hoping to spend a few months out west this summer backpacking. Already getting some good advice from the forum. Hopefully more to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<----- Me at The Wave last November!

Another new Texan member here, also from the Houston area (Howdy, Eugene!).

Like Eugene, I'm an experienced hiker and backpacker and have been visiting NVUTAZ pretty regularly for the past couple of years (most recently, Thanksgiving). I know a few folks here from other forums (Yahoo Zion Hiking Group, bogley) and have lurked here for a while.

I'm planning on heading back late spring and hope to backpack the southeast Zion wilderness (southern Parunuweap area). If I find an experienced and willing partner, I'd like to go canyoneering for the first time (Fat Man's Misery, Diana's Throne, Keyhole).

Hi, Amanda. Have you hiked any of the Lone Star trail? A friend and I
did the wilderness loop off 149 last week. One of the few sections not closed due to hunting. Nothing exciting, though.

Late reply on this, but the closure order has been lifted on the entire trail! See the Lonestar Hiking Trail Club's website and click the link on top for the official letter from the Forestry Service.

I backpacked the Big Creek section last summer; amazingly lush. Just gotta watch for the feral pigs. :eek:

The wife and I decided to get into backpacking and hiking late last summer. The outdoors aren't new to me being an avid hunter and spending 9 years in the Army. However, they are to the wife.

Looking forward to gaining more knowledge and learn what useful gear others are using. We're both getting ready for the weather to break to get back out as a family.

Mike

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Hello, my name is Matt Jacobsen and I live in Malad, Idaho. Here in Idaho we not only have some great country to hike and rivers to float we have the lottery and good beer. I found your site by accident while I was searching the web for my next adventure. Awesome site so glad I found it. Thanks for putting it together. I have made it south a few times (the swell and escalate). Planning to take my 9 year old nephew and son to the swell in April. We plan on doing LWH, WHC and horseshoe Canyon. If you have any suggestion on fairly easy hikes in the area that would be great. This is there first time in the area and don't want to work them to hard so they hate it. Cabin fever has set in,not sure I can wait two months... Looking forward to getting to know everyone.