Noobs: Introduce Yourself!

Howdy. Looks like some good info here, cool. Utah is one of my favorite spots, even though here in Montana isn't so bad either. I grew up in National Parks, including Colorado National Monument, which is really Utah canyon country if you haven't been. I've explored a lot of rivers and canyons with my Dad as a kid, and many other places since. Not as much with kids the last 16 years, but we're getting out there. We made it to Horseshoe & Bluejohn canyons, and The Dollhouse a couple years ago. We used to do Bluejohn 25 years ago when it was only known to a few. Still cool though, kids loved it.

Thanks for having me, nice site.

Matt
If you haven't done Coyote Gulch in the Escalante you need to do it. Not difficult if you got in/out either Red Well or Hurricane Gulch. Also if you are in to ruins for sure the area of Grand Gulch on cedar mesa near Blanding is a must do. We went in Kane Gulch (by the ranger station) and out Bullet canyon. Took us 3 1/2 days with plenty of time for exploring.

Howdy. Looks like some good info here, cool. Utah is one of my favorite spots, even though here in Montana isn't so bad either. I grew up in National Parks, including Colorado National Monument, which is really Utah canyon country if you haven't been. I've explored a lot of rivers and canyons with my Dad as a kid, and many other places since. Not as much with kids the last 16 years, but we're getting out there. We made it to Horseshoe & Bluejohn canyons, and The Dollhouse a couple years ago. We used to do Bluejohn 25 years ago when it was only known to a few. Still cool though, kids loved it.

Thanks for having me, nice site.
Matt
If you haven't done Coyote Gulch in the Escalante you need to do it. Not difficult if you got in/out either Red Well or Hurricane Gulch. Also if you are in to ruins for sure the area of Grand Gulch on cedar mesa near Blanding is a must do. We went in Kane Gulch (by the ranger station) and out Bullet canyon. Took us 3 1/2 days with plenty of time for exploring.
Me and a few friends did this the first part of May 2013. It's a beautiful place. With that being said it was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. I can't wait to go back. Lucky for me we took a couple cars. The further in the past it gets the funnier it gets. I will post more on it later. Right now I have a hot date with my 9 year old little girl. It's her birthday and she wants to go roller skating (the 4 wheel type). We kick it old school up here in Idaho. She actually wants to become a roller girl when she grows up. Her name will be murderous Mattilda.

I've been lurking here for a few months. I definitely like what I see, I'm in the beginning stages of acquiring gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone. My name is Andy! I hope to get to know everyone!!

Hi, I'm Curt. I came across this site looking at Nick's Flickr pictures.
I love backpacking not because I like camping but for the majestic views and it usually seems like those require some hiking. I like walking so its all good.
I was born on the Colorado Plateau and was raised in New Mexico and grew up hiking both the mountains and the desert. But I live in Nebraska now and I'm a days drive from the mountains and a really long days drive from the desert so I only make it out hiking in those places a couple times a year. I really enjoy reading everyone's trip reports, looking at the pictures, and wishing I was along. My bucket list of places to go is really full and reading the trip reports is making it fuller. I look forward to reading more and I'll try to post a couple of my own.

Hello folks! Been lurking this site for a while and decided it's time to join!

I'm into canyoneering,backpacking, kayaking, everything outside i'll try almost anything at least once! Anyone from socal who wants to meet up too! I'm down for some canyons out here!

Loving the photography that i've seen on this forum too! Here is my photography flickr mixed in with design/fitness/adventures if anyone wants to add me! http://www.flickr.com/photos/48934341@N00/

Cheers!

Last edited:
Greetings all...I'm originally from Cleveland, Ohio but transplanted to Utah about four years ago. I'm an avid backpacker/hiker and was looking for some southern Utah/Arizona ideas to beat the winter blahs and the crappy air here up north when I stumbled across this site. Looks like I hit the jackpot!...great site/great trip reports/great photos.

Thanks for allowing me in...Cheers!

glad to find this forum...it's got a lot of great stuff!
backpacking and whitewater are my favs. moved to Utah from Idaho 5 years ago, and learned quickly how awesome the Uintas are...great backpacking!

I am not exactly new to this site but have been MIA. In the process of relocating and trying to find the positive in that. Been a bit spoiled living and playing in Southern Utah for four years. But as of the end of March my new residence will be Southern Idaho! Idaho Falls to be exact. Rather flat up there. My only complaint. Be a bit rough not having mountains right out my backyard. But!! Get up by the windmill farm and off in the distance I can see them ....The Grand Tetons so I can breathe a little easier. Closer to home (Ogden), some nice ski resorts ± 2 hours from me in every direction. I guess I will have to learn how to fly fish and kayak. Luckily there is supposed to be a pretty good sized mountain bike group in I.F. I will need help planning a trip to Yellowstone obviously! Oh but where else should I be setting my sites on? All new adventures coming soon.....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Wow! Big news, Chere! I'm jealous of your time in St. George, but like you say, lots of new stuff in your back yard up there in Idaho. Sometimes I think I'd like to just go live some other place for 3-4 years at a time so I can check out all the recreation possibilities and then go try somewhere else. Some good, good stuff up north!

I do recommend it. I grew up in Ogden but have lived for 5 years in Columbia, TN (sadly wasn't nearly as outdoorsy then as I am now) STG for 4 and we shall see how long I.F. can captivate me. Aside from actually physically moving which I hate...I love discovering the best of a new home.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If you need any info on Yellowstone just PM me Chere. I am going there in August. And Idaho Falls can't be all that bad at least in June they have the Mountain Brewers Festival, which is nice. :D P.S. Good luck in your new location.

My names Ryan, I've been day hiking for several years in FL, but am preparing for a trip to Blue Ridge with the girlfriend and some friends that are experienced hikers. It's something that I've always wanted to do and am already planning other trips. This looks like a great forum!

Hi, I'm new. That's why I'm posting here. I'm a life-long Utah resident and currently living in Orem. My backpacking history is one of too much dabbling with long stretches of time with no trips at all. I'm working on giving it a greater commitment this time around. I almost always go alone; sometimes my preference but other times because I seem to be my only friend (boo hoo, poor me;)). I am hoping to find others on this forum to go with eventually if you will have me. I have a preference for the desert but I would also like to get some more mountain experience. Especially interested in the Winds and Sawtooths; I haven't touched either place. I got out a little early this year for a solo trip in Arch and Texas canyons so I will post a trip report hopefully tomorrow of that adventure. Thanks for those who are responsible for and contribute to this site, It's served as a great motivator to get out and see cool places. That's all for now.

Hi, I'm Tess. I signed up a couple months ago and I've been poking around but I figured it was time to officially introduce myself. My husband and I live in Utah and we both like to play outside a much as we can. We've done a lot of car camping over the years and have been getting into backpacking more during the last year or so. I did a little backpacking in my teens, but admittedly, I had no clue what I was doing. Still, I had enjoyed backpacking enough that I was excited when my husband started taking an interest. I'm still pretty green but I'm learning and I look forward to learning from all of you.