Halls Creek Narrows

Nick

-
Funny how trip reports often come in sets around here. I can only think of one Halls Creek trip report being posted on BCP prior to this month and now we've had three posted in the last few weeks. It's awesome to see the different perspectives and route variations. Here's mine to add to the collection.

After stopping by to see intuitive cat and pick up some emergency firewood (thanks, Darren!), we set out on the Burr Trail in the dark to find a spot to car camp. Thanks to an awesome tip from Darren, we found a sweet spot next to a big cliff and enjoyed the fire until nearly 2am. In the morning we were greeted to amazing views of the Circle Cliffs as we packed up our bags for the descent into Halls Creek. Our goal for the day was just to hike in from the airstrip route and setup camp near the mouth of the narrows so we weren't in too much of a hurry.

I'd driven through Capitol Reef before but never hiked and this was a first for the rest of the group so the drive in on the Burr Trail was a real treat. We stopped at the top of the switchbacks to take in the view. There was an awesome echo up there. You could quickly yell pretty big strings of words like "Backcountrypost Rules" and a very clear echo would bounce off the wall to the south a second later repeating it back nearly as clear as you said it. We had fun with that for a minute or two before heading down.
halls-creek-narrows-1.jpg

We ended up blowing past the turnoff for the road that leads to our trailhead and didn't realize it until we were on the far end of the loop. We checked out the map and decided we could approach it from the south so we started out on the unknown dirt road towards what is known as the 'airstrip route'. Most hikers enter Halls Creek from the Halls Creek Overlook which is just a little further north off of the same road but adds 3.5 miles each way.

The road that we came in on was a bit rougher than if you come in from the north like most would, but totally doable with a good 4WD vehicle. Soon enough we had found the airstrip and were parked right at the rim of the canyon and ready to head out. The view from the trailhead was quite nice.
halls-creek-narrows-2.jpg

We took our time picking down the steep slope to the weakness in the cliffs that allows access to the bottom. Nothing was particularly difficult on the descent and it stayed around 3rd class with occasional bits of 4th class but not very exposed.
halls-creek-narrows-3.jpg

This was probably the worst part on the way down. It looked kind of bad at first but it was easy with plenty of hand holds. People that aren't comfortable with this kind of thing might want to remove their packs. There were a few other spots on the lower section that involved climbing through little ledges but none of it was too bad.
halls-creek-narrows-4.jpg

Looking back up at the air strip 'sneak route' to Halls Creek. Most of the route follows the right side of the crack in this photo. It is pretty well cairned from the rim to near the bottom.
halls-creek-narrows-5.jpg

With an abundance of time on our hands, we decided to aim for the first Cottonwood we could see and have a little break in the shade and lighten our packs a bit by having an afternoon beer. Well, I think it was afternoon... either way, it was nice to see leaves on the cottonwoods again, especially sitting in it's shade, sipping a beer.
halls-creek-narrows-6.jpg

The hike down Halls Creek to the narrows is mostly dry and drops in and out of the wash. It would be pretty brutal to do in mid-summer like NateGeesaman and slc_dan did last year. You guys are hardcore!
halls-creek-narrows-7.jpg

Within a mile or two of the airstrip route, we started encountering pools and short sections of flowing water that eventually dried up. The whole area had flooded within the last week so the slimy mud made things a little tougher.
halls-creek-narrows-8.jpg

After about 5 miles of hiking, the creek started cutting into the Waterpocket Fold. We were debating camping out in the sun or going into the narrows.
halls-creek-narrows-10.jpg

We decided to drop our packs and wander in a bit. The warmth of the sun sounded nice, but those big walls were looking good.
halls-creek-narrows-11.jpg

halls-creek-narrows-12.jpg

A few bends in, we found this massive alcove and immediately knew where we would be calling home for the next two nights.
halls-creek-narrows-13.jpg

Chillin' on the tarp that first night.
halls-creek-narrows-camp.jpg

We were hoping for some early morning light in our deep alcove and we really got it. The moment the sun broke over Halls Mesa, it shot straight into our corner of the alcove. It was glorious...
halls-creek-narrows-15.jpg

halls-creek-narrows-16.jpg

But sadly, the sun did not stay out. By the time we had packed up for our day hike, it was overcast and a bit cooler than we would have liked.
halls-creek-narrows-18.jpg

But still amazing beautiful
halls-creek-narrows-19.jpg

We were in super leisure mode walking down the canyon. We knew we had the whole day so we just kind of wandered and appreciated all the sights and sounds. After a few bends, the sun had peeked back out so we sat down on the beach across from a spring to have a snack. After a few minutes, we realized that we had sat down below the nest of a very large bird of prey. Not sure if it was an eagle or a hawk but one of the adults must have had a wing span of 7+ feet. We sat there for at least 30 or 40 minutes as it circled above us drifting on the air currents, occasionally stopping for a break on the tiny cracks in the soaring walls above us. It was a real treat to watch.
halls-creek-narrows-22.jpg

Now that is leisurely hiking.
halls-creek-narrows-23.jpg

halls-creek-narrows-24.jpg

halls-creek-narrows-26.jpg

halls-creek-narrows-27.jpg

About 2/3 of the way through, we reached what lostlandscapes had warned us about. A swimmer! And lucky for us it was overcast and a bit windy and cold right at that moment. But it was only like 2pm, we can't turn back! Being the polar bear in the group, I went in first to see just how deep it was. It turned out not to be a full swimmer. It was nearly neck deep if going in from the left or a little less than chest deep from the right. What was strange through was that there was nearly 2 feet of gravely mud at the bottom. It literally went all the way to my knees but it was pretty easy to walk through.

colefeet and neiloro stripped down as I soaked in the pool and shuttle packs over. For those that don't know Jen, she is quite petite so this had potential to be a full swim for her. She also lacks the insulation I have, so after watching her psyche herself up for a few minutes to get in, I offered a piggy back ride across.

halls-creek-narrows-28.jpg

After the deep pool we found a bit of sun and finished off the beer before heading further down canyon.
halls-creek-narrows-31.jpg

halls-creek-narrows-33.jpg

This was the next deepest spot. It was about waist deep on me.
halls-creek-narrows-34.jpg

We were debating whether to use Halls Divide to go back to camp or go back the way we came and maybe get some better light for photos. We opted to see something new and use the divide. We took this little side canyon that comes in on the left LDC just as the narrows let up. There was a really nice spring feeding the canyon a couple hundred yards up.
halls-creek-narrows-36.jpg

As we climbed up towards the divide, the views of the reef to the west were calling out to us. We didn't plan to walk to the rim but looking at that terrain, how could we not?
halls-creek-narrows-37.jpg

The first Whipple's Fishhook for me this year. Actually the first flowering cactus period. There were a lot that were close on the hike in, but none flowering.
halls-creek-narrows-38.jpg

Walking up the reef was SO much fun! You have to pick your route but it wasn't very hard. I just aimed to the left of the high point in this photo.
halls-creek-narrows-39.jpg

We ended up at one of the best possible spots on the rim. It was right above the part with the swimmer and an awesome double abandoned meander. Standing on the edge was freaky cool.
halls-creek-narrows-40.jpg

Looking down into the canyon. The swimmer is the far left.
halls-creek-narrows-rim.jpg

Jen playing it safe and laying on the edge.
halls-creek-narrows-41.jpg

Looking back at neiloro. I absolutely love the scale and drama in this photo.
halls-creek-narrows-42.jpg

And whats this? The sun is back to see us back to camp? Yes!!!
halls-creek-narrows-43.jpg

It was warm and the light was wonderful for the remainder of the hike. We picked our way through the slickrock before finally reconnecting with a little trail over Halls Divide and returning back to the top end of Halls Creek Narrows and our campsite.
halls-creek-narrows-44.jpghalls-creek-narrows-45.jpg

Jen soaking up some sun as the photographers move slowly down the reef.
halls-creek-narrows-46.jpg

And more blooms! What a day...
halls-creek-narrows-49.jpg

halls-creek-narrows-48.jpg

halls-creek-narrows-50.jpg

The next morning we were up bright and early and on the trail. We booked it up to within sight of the exit crack in about 1 hour 45 minutes.
halls-creek-narrows-53.jpg

After a little snack break, we tackled the exit. It was easier going up but there were some moves that actually felt a bit scarier going up than going down. Not a big deal but some people might want to pull packs off here and there. Here's a shot of Jen with Neiloro way down below on the final stretch of the climb.
halls-creek-narrows-54.jpg

We made it back to the truck before noon and had celebratory beers in the sun before heading out. All said, I think we hiked about 20 miles on the route we took. My GPS clocked nearly 28 but it went crazy in the Narrows. It was definitely around 6 miles from the airstrip TH to the big alcove near the start of the narrows. Here's a map with my tracks cleaned up a bit.

View larger map.
Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Great time of year to be there with the trees in green and cacti in bloom! Nice perspective from the rim too. Looks like a fine trip.

YES!!

I love the idea of hiking up on the fold. It reminds me a lot of Redbreaks. Excellent lines throughout.

Great report! Thanks for the shout out for me and Dan and our crazy taste for heat. Those views from up on top of the narrows look fantastic! Very interesting spot and report! Thanks for sharing

YES!!

I love the idea of hiking up on the fold. It reminds me a lot of Redbreaks. Excellent lines throughout.

Being out there got me pretty amped about hiking OVER the fold. I was looking at that route that those other guys did, and if you cut out the fluff, it seems like a decent 4-day trip. Night 1 in Halls Creek Narrows, night 2 upper Stevens, night 3 lower Stevens and then out via Crack. Might have to do that this fall...

Great report! Thanks for the shout out for me and Dan and our crazy taste for heat. Those views from up on top of the narrows look fantastic! Very interesting spot and report! Thanks for sharing

I'm actually totally jealous of you guys. I could handle the heat, especially for the wet part. I'd just be rolling in water frequently. Honestly, the worst part about summer camping in the desert in my opinion is trying to sleep! I can barely handle Zion in June...

happy to see those images, they look even better than in real life!! super fun route! highly recommended!!!

I'm actually totally jealous of you guys. I could handle the heat, especially for the wet part. I'd just be rolling in water frequently. Honestly, the worst part about summer camping in the desert in my opinion is trying to sleep! I can barely handle Zion in June...

The night we slept in the narrows was awesome. Perfect sleeping temperatures. The night we slept in Brimhall Canyon was awful. Way too hot.

My knee help up really well. Trekking poles came in handy at times, at other times I just threw them down because I wanted my hands. It's so steep that you're carefully picking pretty much every step so It's almost easier than a steep descent on a trail, IMO.

My knee help up really well. Trekking poles came in handy at times, at other times I just threw them down because I wanted my hands. It's so steep that you're carefully picking pretty much every step so It's almost easier than a steep descent on a trail, IMO.

Good to know. About how long did it take you guys to come down that way?

If you do go that way, make sure to bring a bit of webbing to lower packs and maybe use as a handline in case anyone feels uncomfortable.