Album Night Shots and Star Trails

so my question is did you have it flash multiple times, or do you one have to do it once on like the last frame? If you stack them and the last shot is lit up will it work that way?

Once for the tent and once for the rock.

I have found that using a flash produces better shadows and a sharper image then a moving headlamp or a flash light YMMV. I have been using a small stationary lantern lately and have been pretty pleased with the results.

When mixing light painting and start trails I typically start by painting my foreground a few different ways before I let my trails roll. For this shot I set up my comp then fired off a few shots at iso800 f5.6. I was strobing the tent then running off to the left (out of frame) and strobing standing rock within the 30sec frame. After I got the paint job I wanted I set my camera to ISO1600 F2.8 and then let my trails go for 40min or so. In post I stacked everything like normal but excluded the painted frames. After it was stacked it was off to cs5 to layer in the my favorite painted shot of standing rock and the tent ( I decided to leave the head lamp trails from the main stack).

When shooting a campfire shot I always use a single shot for the foreground. Typically its the brightest shot, edited in LR, and then sent off to cs5 for layering. Its an easy way to "control the chaos" and keep your foreground and sharp with out too many blown out highlights.

In the main stack of this image there was all sorts of head lamp trails, no details on the trees, and a white blob around the fire.
6782535548_cd3b6b9716_z.jpg

Very nice. Just curious, what was the moon cycle and your camera settings? And is this a single exposure?

Yes, single exposure. Moon was full or very near. ISO 200 f/7.1... and I went back to look at my EXIF again and realized it was a 20 minute exposure, not 40. I remember it being 40 because I used long exposure noise reduction in camera, doubling the time needed for the photo.

Jeez dude. That shot is killer. Definitely faved and I'm sure I'll share on FB when/if you get that upload there.

how did you get all the details in it? I haven't done anything to mine yet, but maybe I can enhance it a little bit with software

I used unsharp mask in Photoshop in Lab Color mode (selecting the Lightness Channel only, and then switching back to RGB), and I also used Topaz Adjust's Photo Pop setting. I like that setting a lot and use it often to bring out detail. I'm definitely not a Photoshop guru, and haven't figured out LightRoom even, so I use iPhoto and Photoshop to play around and get the results I like.

First post to this site. I am usually asleep or passed out when it is time for some night shots, but here are a few that I managed to stay up for.

ZC0D0121.jpg

Ruedi Reservoir, Co

ZC0D5421.jpg

Moon and Venus over Thompson Divide, from Carbondale, Co.

ZC0D2088.jpg

In Meander Canyon, Colorado River

ZC0D2227.jpg

Another one.
Greg

Love the moon/sun shot

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
P Summer night in Yellowstone Backpacking 4
P Yellowstone, one night by a lake Backpacking 19
B 1-2 Night Sierra Trip Help Trip Planning 3
Rockskipper Night Hiking General Discussion 19
Udink Bag Night Challenge 2022 General Discussion 57
balzaccom Author's night--come join me! General Discussion 2
angeedraper Canyonlands - Needles 2 Night Backpacking (April 29-May1) Backpacking 0
Udink Bag Night Challenge 2021 General Discussion 119
Perry Teal Lake Lollipop Over Night Trip Backpacking 21
WasatchWill A Night at Notch Lake Backpacking 10
andyjaggy Suggestions for 3 day 2 night trip in March or April. Trip Planning 2
M Non-technical 1-2 night backpacking w dogs and kids - Escalante-ish area in April? Trip Planning 14
IntrepidXJ Bag Night Challenge 2020 General Discussion 99
tropicalwanderer What to do: Grizzly in camp at night General Discussion 22
forest dweller Seeking advice for a 5 or 6 night Banff or Jasper backpacking trip for a married couple with different ideas of what awesome is!!! Trip Planning 7
R 6 Day 5 Night hike Kintla Lake to Bowman Lake early August advice Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
WasatchWill A Night on Y Mountain Backpacking 7
Ugly Another Friday Night... White Winter Sports 7
Ugly Friday Night at Norway Flats Backpacking 4
C 3 night at Havasu Falls Part 4 Backpacking 3
Artemus Bag Night Challenge Results Summary General Discussion 0
Artemus Bag Night Challenge 2019 General Discussion 225
WasatchWill A Night on Sand Creek Hiking & Camping 14
DrNed Ideas For 1 Night Backpacking In Utah Desert? Trip Planning 10
Ugly Oh Catherine, A Quick Night, Beautiful Dawn Backpacking 2
Tystevens Dog friendly 1-2 night trip within a couple hours of I70 in Utah or Colorado... Trip Planning 4
WasatchWill A Night on the Wedge Hiking & Camping 12
Ugly Wednesday Night's Red Pine Winter Sports 2
Jackson Bag Night Challenge 2018 General Discussion 454
Wanderlust073 3 or 4 night trip ideas - CO, WY Trip Planning 8
E Paintbrush/Cascade 3 day/2 night trip Trip Planning 8
Perry Suggestions for 3-day/2-night Uinta's Route Trip Planning 10
Stephanie Backpacking suggestions? 1 night Trip Planning 2
WasatchWill A night at Nevada's Valley of Fire State Park Hiking & Camping 7
T Advice Needed for 5 night Backpack route in Southern Utah Trip Planning 2
S Uintas 2 Night trip Trip Planning 9
IntrepidXJ Arches National Park Night Closure Trip Planning 2
Artemus Bag Night Challenge 2017 General Discussion 301
J Newbie - hoping for some advice on one night backpack in utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
N 3 Day 2 Night in Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
J One night backpacking trip with swimming Trip Planning 11
Mike Jones 2-3 NIght Back country Yosemite ideas? Trip Planning 3
Artemus Bag Night Challenge 2016 General Discussion 263
Joey Invite Beer Night, Friday, January 8th Meet Up (Members Only) 20
Joey Night of the Grizzlies documentary General Discussion 3
Joey Invite Beer Night in Salt Lake City, Friday December 11th. Meet Up (Members Only) 44
ZubenElGenubi Three Day/Two Night Trip: Ansel Adams Wilderness Trip Planning 5
tozo Night Photography Exhibit in SLC Photography 0
hamtron5000 Sunday Night in Dominguez Canyon Hiking & Camping 2