Mtb 2018

blueeyes

ephemeral excursionist
Okay I feel guilty not posting my trips if wabenho is going to post his. I do more riding and trips around where I want to bike than hike I don't post them because I sometimes think you all will get tired of my bike photos.[emoji23][emoji23] And most of my reports are the same. Slow uphill, beautiful scenery, downhill is king! End of report.

In Ogden last weekend and I rode Wheeler to Canyon Overlook. I am slower than a snail going uphil. Was slightly annoyed by a women on an ebike who kept playing leap frog on trails that are designated non-motorized. Passed two horses and riders with Mexican saddles! I don't remember this trail being this rocky between Art Nord and the old campground, I feel like the trail has washed out quiet a bit. Took me FOREVER to reach the overlook and not that long to return to the car. I still LOVE Ice Box Canyon. This is the trail that I took my first mountain bike ride on and fell head over wheels in love with the sport. That was meant figuratively and literally.

a0e3c3c03569455ba0de077a59f07210.jpg

837e0a7ed59b22cd271fa7a65e81666f.jpg
bottom of Ice Box where it meets up with Wheeler. Seriously one of the funnest downhill sections in Utah.

98dcd43cc91652fc37d1bec45a5cdfb1.jpg

Fun little feature to ride up and down.

426992dff98dcfa6bdf312f56152dbc6.jpg

a8a9c280a08444aa76dc1c0a152ac850.jpg

View of Ogden

So I will just keep posting my rides in same thread for 2018. Feel free to add to it if you ride bikes or start your own 2018 thread. I for one would love to see more bike reports.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If you couldn't tell from my recent posts, I love the MTB rides around Ogden. Wheeler is great! I love how you can connect with East Fork, Middle Fork, Sardine, Green Pond, and all the Snowbasin stuff. You can go for a couple hours or all day. I always see wildlife up there. Ice Box - respect. That's not an easy downhill. Thanks for sharing!

I'm pretty new here and not too savvy. I'm happy to post my MTB stuff in this thread or I can continue to create new threads for each trip... I'm good with whatever. I have just really enjoyed this site and you guys seem like such a cool group. I have gleaned a ton of great info and I just wanted to contribute what I have.

You do what you like! There are no rules. I just figured on keeping all of my little rides in one thread for the year. Makes it easier to find later if I want. But I also don't mind if someone wants to add to the thread. That is all. If I do a big bikepack trip I will make a separate thread.
I'm pretty new here and not too savvy. I'm happy to post my MTB stuff in this thread or I can continue to create new threads for each trip... I'm good with whatever. I have just really enjoyed this site and you guys seem like such a cool group. I have gleaned a ton of great info and I just wanted to contribute what I have.

If you couldn't tell from my recent posts, I love the MTB rides around Ogden. Wheeler is great! I love how you can connect with East Fork, Middle Fork, Sardine, Green Pond, and all the Snowbasin stuff. You can go for a couple hours or all day. I always see wildlife up there. Ice Box - respect. That's not an easy downhill. Thanks for sharing!
I love all those trails. Use to ride them all the time when I lived in Ogden and Thanks! Ice Box is a tough one. I use to be able to ride it without touching my foot down. But I don't care for that first switchback anymore.

Tonights flavor was City Creek trails in Pocatello. I so love these trails. I didn't take pictures on the way up as I was late to the party and am slow as a snail on the climb. I did finally find the rest of the group and managed a few pictures. The balsamroots are in bloom and they are my favorite flower! To me they mean it is time for summer to begin! Her is Ann my friend riding up the trail.

01bfdc15fcb88c2a38a68221e5ce60cf.jpg

A few minutes before this picture I went head over the handle bars and down off the trail. Ann took a picture and maybe I will post it if she sends it to me. My other friend Kate had smacked her handle bars on a tree that you have to thread your bars through. I was close behind her when it happened. She recovered but I was watching her instead of the trail and hit the same tree. Her tire was still in my way and I didn't recover and went over the handle bars. Just living up to my nickname Crash Clawson. Thankfully a pine tree stopped my haphazard decent. I have learned how to bail off a bike and managed not to injure myself although if the pine tree hadn't been there to catch the bike it might not have gone as well as it did.

The skies were dark and threatening to rain.
2312f4d1377f5e628d1daa3524eb349a.jpg

Here is a picture of some of the guys as we start to descend. We hit the lower half of 911 which is one of my favorites!! Omg permagrin as you whip through the whoopty doo's!

cbbe7ea6cb793c21388b2770aafd86e0.jpg

As I left the parking lot it started to pour rain! Perfect quick little ride after work.

Last edited:
Tonights flavor was City Creek trails in Pocatello. I so love these trails. I didn't take pictures on the way up as I was late to the party and am slow as a snail on the climb. I did finally find the rest of the group and managed a few pictures. The balsamroots are in bloom and they are my favorite flower! To me they mean it is time for summer to begin! Her is Ann my friend riding up the trail.

01bfdc15fcb88c2a38a68221e5ce60cf.jpg

A few minutes before this picture I went head over the handle bars and down off the trail. Ann took a picture and maybe I will post it if she sends it to me. My other friend Kate had smacked her handle bars on a tree that you have to thread your bars through. I was close behind her when it happened. She recovered but I was watching her instead of the trail and hit the same tree. Her tire was still in my way and I didn't recover and went over the handle bars. Just living up to my nickname Crash Clawson. Thankfully a pine tree stopped my haphazard decent. I have learned how to bail off a bike and managed not to injure myself although if the pine tree hadn't been there to catch the bike it might not have gone as well as it did.

The skies were dark and threatening to rain.
2312f4d1377f5e628d1daa3524eb349a.jpg

Here is a picture of some of the guys as we start to descend. We hit the lower half of 911 which is one of my favorites!! Omg permagrin as you whip through the whoopty doo's!

cbbe7ea6cb793c21388b2770aafd86e0.jpg

As I left the parking lot it started to pour rain! Perfect quick little ride after work.

Hahah oh jeesh, well I definitel hope you aren't in too much pain or bruised beyond repair! :)

You can always tell when spring has arrived because my legs look like someone has taken a baseball bat to them. Doing fabulous this morning. Cursing the weather because it looks like rain everywhere this weekend. It messes up my plans.

In SLC for a meeting of the Point Of Care minds at St. Marks. Afterwards I caught up with the SLCMTB group in Kamas and road the High Star Ranch Trails. Land of 1000 switchbacks! They ride so nice you don't even realize how many you navigate through. After the climb you have a fun chunky decent. Highly recommend checking this gem out. Afterwards have a brew at the State Road Tavern.

d6dd53fb4fe3e6045875e76dba9dc10e.jpg
4d46c281320fe6d394d9b3628f5db6e3.jpg
ee7408cc3e04b8b5935a541eb84b76f9.jpg
e94cf559a88c6cfb9cc579cfd793c716.jpg
6525d8b27a91fdedc88ec538a53efa48.jpg

Funny, I always just think of Kamas as a slight obstacle in getting to the Uintas and never knew about these trails or tavern, awesome.

Funny, I always just think of Kamas as a slight obstacle in getting to the Uintas and never knew about these trails or tavern, awesome.
I had no clue but kept hearing how good this trail was. It is bike purpose built with trails for up and trails that are only for down. The have good flow. Kamas is growing up...bit of take over from PC I think. Kinda sad. Sooo many people.

Gorgeous photos as always! And you are on a bike riding in the mountains...I think they call this style gravel grinding. Too bad you can't whip down that Wilderness trail.[emoji6]
Not really mountain biking, but we did a little biking on the North Rim of the Black Canyon over the weekend...

http://adventr.co/2018/05/the-north-rim-of-the-black-canyon/

Gravel Road Riding
by Randy Langstraat, on Flickr

North Rim Road
by Randy Langstraat, on Flickr

A couple shots from a Memorial Day ride. I just received my first gopro and I thought I was getting all of this great footage that I was hoping to share. When I got home and looked at my video, I saw that the camera was aimed too low so all you see is my bike and the trail going by very quickly. It was making me motion sick to watch, so I'll spare you guys and try again another time. For now, here are a few from my phone.

This first one is for @blueeyes - canopy of mist over Wheeler (from the North)
262.jpg270.jpg291.jpg292.jpg310.jpg

Love the photos! I was back in Utah again this weekend sans bike. It was tough not to ride and just sit and chat. Especially when I got home and saw pictures of Snowbasin trails.

I gave up on the gopro. Have a few video's somewhere on YouTube. It takes dedication to put a good video together.
A couple shots from a Memorial Day ride. I just received my first gopro and I thought I was getting all of this great footage that I was hoping to share. When I got home and looked at my video, I saw that the camera was aimed too low so all you see is my bike and the trail going by very quickly. It was making me motion sick to watch, so I'll spare you guys and try again another time. For now, here are a few from my phone.

This first one is for @blueeyes - canopy of mist over Wheeler (from the North)
View attachment 64702View attachment 64703View attachment 64704View attachment 64705View attachment 64706

A few shots from a dawn patrol ride Saturday morning.

It was 32 degrees at 5:30 when I started at about 6300' - a little frost in the meadow.
017.jpg

Galaxy S7 version of a sunburst
028.jpg

Moon over Mt. Ogden
034.jpg

Pineview
045.jpg

Frost melting off - it was 43 degrees at the end of my ride
049.jpg

4-legged friends
058.jpg063.jpg

I rode a nice little figure 8 on Saturday morning. Not the funnest route, but the scenery was great and I saw more wildlife than normal including deer, moose and even a skunk.

North Fork of the Ogden River
016.jpg

Young Bull (I think) Moose
027.jpg

Trail with a view
032.jpg

050.jpg

My ride with Ben Lomond in the background
076.jpg

I rode up to Ben Lomond once from North Fork. On the way down I went head over handle bars knocked myself out and broke my right hand. Don't even know how it happened. Getting the bike back on the bike rack was a challenge.

Pretty pictures.