Mirrorless Cameras

no worries. I just need the body anyway, my lens is fine. I can find a body on ebay cheap.

try dust off spray, it usually helps when my point and shoot camera doesn't work anymore due to high amounts of sand in it.
Also try to brush as much sand off of the outer body as possible with these camera brushes and use an air blower.
No guarantee that it will work but at least it is a try.

I got my a6000 over the weekend. I haven't had a chance to use it much but so far the Canon wins in these areas.

1) Build quality, the little M just feels like a solid product and feels good in the hands. The Sony feels a bit plasticky and cheap in comparison.
2) Size, the Canon is smaller and more compact, thought the weight between the Canon + 11-22 and Sony + 10-18 seems pretty comparable.
3) Touchscreen. I really miss the touchscreen on the Canon when using the Sony. When I first got the Canon I didn't like the touchscreen, but it grows on you and I keep trying to press the screen on the Sony to choose the focus point.
4) The neck strap on the Canon is genius and a snap to attach to the camera. A small little detail, but kudos to the industrial designers at Canon.

Sony wins in these areas.

1) Lens selection and complete system. Tons more native lenses are available as well as loads of accessories. I can use a cable release again. Yay.
2) Features. the Sony is a much more complete camera. Tons more options and control over the camera. The Canon feels crippled in comparison. Magic Lantern on the Canon might level this a little bit, but I still think the Sony would be the clear winner.
3) Autofocus and shooting speed. Autofocus is super fast and it shoots at 11fps, compared to like 2 fps with the Canon. I can actually use this camera for shooting my kids, the Canon was just to slow.
4) Image quality. The Sony is the clear winner. Sony sensors just seem to blow Canon sensors out of the water. 24mp vs 18mp, but more importantly than the pixel count is that the Sony images are definitely sharper per pixel and show less noise and more dynamic range.

Thanks for the comparison.

2) Features. the Sony is a much more complete camera. Tons more options and control over the camera. The Canon feels crippled in comparison. Magic Lantern on the Canon might level this a little bit, but I still think the Sony would be the clear winner.

What do you mean "more options and control?" Which options/control are you loving in the Sony that the canon doesn't have?

Really good feedback. i wish Canon would keep at the EOS M and come up with more lenses and improved features (quicker AF).

Probably the one that struck me right off the bat was that I can bracket +- 5 stops instead of just 2 stops on the Canon. You can also bracket 5 images instead of just 3. The setting also sticks and doesn't reset itself every time the camera turns off. That drove me nuts on the Canon.

Automatic focus peaking is also really nice for manually focusing, which I tend to do a lot.

go figure that Canon now decides to release another lens for the M after I just invested in a different camera system.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/06/canon-ef-m-55-200-f4-5-6-3-is-stm-gets-official/

On paper it's not a super impressive lens, but it's tiny and light. Canon seems to understand the appeal of mirrorless is its small size. Most of the telephoto zooms for other mirrorless cameras are just as big as their SLR counterparts. Canon bucks the trend here and makes a nice small telephoto mirrorless zoom.

aint that the way. This is good news for me. While I most likely won't be purchasing that lens, hopefully canon comes out with an updated EOS m in the near future.

The only thing I prefer about my SLR is the way the manual focus works even when the power is off. In other words, I'm actually focusing the lens, rather than telling a servo to focus it. Is that just the nature of the EOS M, or are all mirrorless cameras that way?

The only thing I prefer about my SLR is the way the manual focus works even when the power is off. In other words, I'm actually focusing the lens, rather than telling a servo to focus it. Is that just the nature of the EOS M, or are all mirrorless cameras that way?

Depends on the lens, a lot of mirrorless lenses like you said are focus by wire, which means when you turn the focus ring it is not mechanically focusing the lens but sending a signal to the camera to focus the lens. One of my lenses for my Sony a6000 mechanically focuses the lens, though without a mirror when the camera is off you obviously can't see anything anyways.

I have plenty of lenses for my 5d that require power to focus. That said, I often use an EF adapter on my EOS M and focus manually.

But if you have no power, and no viewfinder, then what's the good of focusing?

the only time I have really missed it is when doing night photography, and you can't focus by seeing. In that situation the SLR lenses seem to be superior in being able to just set it to infinity manually.

i don't like the delay of the focus-by-wire, especially for night photography. Even when it's on I prefer mechanical focus over motorized. I especially like manual mechanical focus for night photography.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. But I've read through it twice now because I'm trying to decide on a mirror-less compact camera so this camera noob could use some help.

I put about as much time into researching this as I have the patience for (admittedly not much) and it's time to make a decision.. I've narrowed it down to the Canon EOS-M, the Samsung NX Mini, and the Sony NX-3N. I'll probably make a decision and order by the end of the week at the latest so if anyone has any input they think will be helpful I'd appreciate it.

I'm leaning towards the NEX-3N because it has the biggest sensor of the 3, shoots raw format, has in-camera pano and HDR features, and shoots 60 fps video. The 16-50mm lens that comes with it is still pretty small. It seems a tiny bit bigger than the EOS-M 22mm lens which looks to be the smallest.

Up until the last few reviews I read, I was leaning towards the Canon EOS-M with the 22mm lens. @steve vouches for it and that carries a lot of weight in my book and the 22mm lens is tiny. However, I'm worried that I'll eventually want to purchase and carry along the 18-55mm lens (for zooming and for stable video) but the 18-55 is huge and would almost defeat the purpose of going mirror-less over just using my wife's D3200 DSLR. While the EOS-M shoots raw and has in-camera HDR, the video is 30fps (as opposed to 60 in the NEX-3N) and doesn't have in-camera pano. I have also read the AF speed is slow and the battery life is brutally bad compared to the other two.

I've pretty much dumped the idea of the NX Mini at this point because although it shoots 60fps video and has in-camera pano, it doesn't shoot raw format and doesn't have in-camera HDR.

I'm new to cameras, so forgive me (and please school me) if my reasoning is dumb or nonsensical. But I think I'm going to go with the NEX-3N based on my above rant.

@steve vouches for it and that carries a lot of weight in my book and the 22mm lens is tiny.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a noob photographer. I'd take the other guys' opinions way before listening to what I say. :)

It sounds like you've done your research. How much video do you plan on doing with it? 60 fps is nice, especially for slo-mo, but not really all that necessary for most stuff. (yet here I am buying a new hero 4 black for the 120 fps)

Well I specialize in making crappy youtube videos and would like to venture into making slightly less crappy videos. :)

If video is your primary use-case, look into Panasonic lumix, there's so many versions of them.

Well I just ordered the Sony NEX-3N. Should be delivered by Friday so I'll be able to take it on my Catskills hike this weekend and test it out. I'll post a picture or two in this thread as a sample. I'm really hoping for a noticeable increase in picture quality over my $200 point and shoot.

If video is your primary use-case, look into Panasonic lumix, there's so many versions of them.

Sorry, I posted asking for info then placed my order an hour later (did I mention I was impulsive?) I wouldn't say video is my primary use, I'd like to use it for both stills and video.

Last edited: