Mirrorless Cameras

I finally pulled the trigger on an EOS M 22mm. Now I'm looking for some wasabi batteries for it, and a lens protector. Eventually I'll be getting the adapter to be able to run my bigger canon lenses on it. Thanks again for the help everyone. I think it'll be a great companion to my T3i for video.

You're gonna love it. Pick up a hood. Hoodman works but the Zacuto z-finder is the bomb--and priced that way!

A hood would be really nice, but I'm trying to keep this rig simple, light, and easy to carry for backpacking. Thanks for the suggestions though, those look like some good hoods.

For video I think you will find that the hood makes a big difference in stabilizing handheld shots. Provides a third point of contact, so everything is much more steady.

That makes sense. I plan on using it on a tripod most of the time, or at least a monopod.

I'm absolutely LOVING my EOS M.

I had read about the following things, and I agree with them 100%

- it's not quite a pocket camera, even with the 22mm pancake lens
- battery life sucks
- Magic Lantern really opens up the possibilities
- video is quite shaky with the non-is lens

And some things the surprised me:

- it's a super solid feeling camera. It feels heftier than it looks.
- I don't miss a viewfinder
- the touch screen is awesome. VERY useful. I'm not going to miss it on the my T3i.
- a 22mm lens is fantastic on this thing
- it can take better quality pics than I can
- menus are incredible and VERY intuitive. Short learning curve to navigate the menus.
- 10x zoom on the LCD is awesome

Some things I don't love:

- manual focus feels really weird
- I have to remember to turn off autofocus during video, or it hunts around for focus and subjects go in and out of focus
- the af is plenty quick for my needs (except for moving subjects in video mode)

And a few amateur pics I took with it this weekend:

IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_1021.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

I'm really digging this camera for video work as well. Here's one we did last night entirely with the EOS M. (shameless plug for my wife's YT channel.)

Nice thread. I picked up an EOS-M last year during the fire sale. I loved it so much I sold my 7D and all of my SLR lenses. The M has better image quality than my 7D did at a fraction of the size and weight. I just couldn't justify the heavy and bulky 7D + lenses when the images coming out of it weren't as good. There are a few things I miss from the SLR.

1) Auto focus speed somewhat (though on a tripod shooting landscapes it's really a non issue)
2) Ability to use a remote release cable, this is probably what I miss the most.
3) Viewfinder, this isn't usually a huge deal as when I am usually shooting it's at dusk and dawn anyway, but for those shots that I do take in the middle of the day seeing that screen can be a bit tricky.
4) It only brackets 2 stops in either direction instead of 3, not a deal breaker but an annoying software limitation that Canon felt the need to introduce for some reason.

I have to also mention that the 11-22 available for this camera is an outstanding lens, I picked one up from Canada and it stays on my camera most of the time. It's remarkably sharp, remarkably small for being such a wide angle lens, and is the widest lens in Canon's lineup that has IS on it. Well worth the 400-500 bucks you will spend on one.

The only bad thing about this camera is that it's future appears shady. I bought it hoping that Canon would soon release some more lens options for it, and a new updated body..... they introduced a new body but it's only available in Asia, so if you are buying one be prepared to have it be a dead end system.

2) Ability to use a remote release cable, this is probably what I miss the most.

I'm sure you're aware that it has an IR sensor for a wireless remote. The other workaround is to install magic lantern and get the intervalometer built-into the camera.

I have been too nervous to install the magic lantern firmware, though I probably shouldn't be.

I've avoided the IR remote as it seemed like it would be awkward to use, since I would have to point it at the front of the camera to make it work.

I also forgot to mention that I also have two other mirrorless cameras, the Sigma DP1, and DP2 Merrill. I have a love hate relationship with those cameras, they are the quirkiest things you will ever use, but when they work the files coming out of them are unbelievable. I've done 24X36 inch prints with them that look amazing, a size I wouldn't dare print with my Canon M. I've done several 20X30 with my Canon M files and I feel like that size is already pushing it.

I'm seriously considering picking up a Sony a6000 with the Sony 10-18 and Sony 16-70. I love my Canon M, but the Sony sensor blows it away and it appears more and more likely that Canon is not going to invest in the M system anymore.

I too am afraid that canon won't be supporting/investing in the M system anymore. What a shame, I love this camera.

I too am afraid that canon won't be supporting/investing in the M system anymore. What a shame, I love this camera.

I'm a bit bummed about it as well. I don't know if you know or not, but they did release an M2 about 6 months ago, but you can only buy it from Asia. The 11-22 is probably the sharpest wide angle lens Canon has made and it wasn't released in the US. I kept seeing rumors that Canon was going to come out with some more lenses for the system, but now the latest rumors are saying Canon is instead going to start making lenses for other mirrorless cameras instead. Overall it's just not looking good.

I use an ef adaptor with mine. Also I have not used magic lantern with it but my understanding is that magic lantern just stays in your sd card and is not a firmware install?

I do wish it had an intervalometer port, but in use the M a lot as a light weight and inconspicuous dh film rig and it is ideal for that. I have a Zacuto z finder on it and it make the camera GREAT for video.

correct, magic lantern just says on the sd card. So if you shoot with multiple sd cards, you need to install magic lantern on each one. Fortunately it's a tiny file.

I didn't know that about magic lantern, I think I am going to try it out soon. I went ahead and ordered the Sony a6000 so the Canon is probably going to be a backup camera now.

let me know if you decide to sell it. I dropped mine in the sand and a few of the buttons are tough to push at the moment. Any recommendations for a good cleaning/repair company?

Bummer man. I don't know if it would be worth the cost of fixing it, they have been selling for so cheap. I was thinking about selling mine, but wasn't sure if what I could get for it would be worth it. I still really like the camera, and with the 22mm pancake it's pretty dang small for when you want to go as light as possible.

I've seen some people selling them on Fred Miranda.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1297576/0?keyword=canon,m#12378689