Mirrorless Cameras

steve

Anyone have one? I'm specifically interested in the ones with interchangeable lenses.

I have an EOS M. Great shot from it and solid for video, but definitely a different experience from dslr

I have an EOS M. Great shot from it and solid for video, but definitely a different experience from dslr

Cool, that's the one I've been considering. Which lens do you have? How is it a different experience from a DSLR?

The EOS M takes great shots and I often put the side by side in a gallery with MKIii photos... but the form factor is totally different.

Forget about seeing the screen in bright sun. No viewfinder also means less stable since it's not sitting against your head for a point of contact. Focus is amazingly slow and manual focus is essentially useless. Still, a really nice compact high quality camera with great tone and full manual operation. No port for an intervalometer, but does have mic in and phones out. Has a hot shoe too.

I take a fair bit if high def video with it and it is so light that I prefer it to a shoulder rig/5d on casual shoots. You can sorta pull focus with it too once you practice a bit with the touch focus.

I have both the pancake lense and the 18-55 is. I often toss on the adapter and use L glass.

You can get the M for under $300 right now and I think that makes it one of the best deals out there.

You can get the M for under $300 right now and I think that makes it one of the best deals out there.

Thanks for all the great info.

I haven't been able to find one for under $330 (with a lens). I'm interested in the one with the 22mm lens. If you know of any deals under $300, let me know and I'll snag one immediately.

I think an EOS M would be an excellent companion to my DSLR.

It's a really good second camera. Image quality is really really great. I have an old T2i that I bring backpacking (because it can use an intervalometer) but for daily use the M is tough to beat -- especially for the price.

You might look on Amazon for a body and then pick up the lens separately. I just recently bought a body (Euro model, which makes zero difference) for about $280. The pancake lens is a fast F2, but no IS. I am generally finding that for travel the 18-55 is more versatile and I don't miss the pancake.

Thiel, any chance you're able to weigh your EOS M and 18-55 lens? I'm wondering if a little Jobi tripod would be able to hold the camera. I'm having a really tough time deciding between the EOS M and the Sony RX100 for my backpacking camera.

I can try. I'm not great at remembering to do stuff like this though! Give me a day.

The sony NEX is also an awesome "mirrorless" ... But a little bigger I think. Has a viewfinder though so saves batteries.

No rush. I've pretty much decided I'm getting one, just waiting for the right deal to pop up.

Edit: I Canon's website states the following:

EOS M body only weight: 9.2 oz

22mm pancake lens weight: 3.7 oz

Last edited:
My scale is not the best but it says one pound three ounces. That's with battery, card, lens cap, and uv filter.

Great, thank you so much. I should have one as soon as I can find the 22mm kit for $300 or less.

Anytime. Honestly you helped me out. I usually bring my t2i and vacation lens with me... and now I'm seeing that it's a whopping THREE POUNDS heavier! Next time I'm going to bring the M and make up the saved weight with whiskey!.

Steve... Here are a couple representative stills from the EOS M. These were all taken in Puerto Rico, handheld. If there are adjustments on them, they are incredibly minor.

The video is equally good and for my work (I'm a communications director for a school) we regularly mix footage from the M in with footage from the 5D.

Attachments

• Pr1.jpg
    Pr1.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Pr2.jpg
    Pr2.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Pr3.jpg
    Pr3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 36