Learning Lightroom

This thread is a bit old but I am interested in hearing your take on LR Nick (now that you have had it for a while). I am really sold on it and learning more each week.

I can't wait to play with my version of Lightroom 4. It arrived today but I have to wait until my finals are over mid December. :rolleyes:
Hopefully it's not too overwhelming for a completely noob like me

How about a status update? You getting around it well? M

I still need to upgrade from version 3 (3.6 from memory) just haven't found the time
Wade

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wnorton @ Southern, UT

I'd love to set up a date to show me how to use LR. Let's do it while the weather still sucks. I'll bring some beer.

I've been too busy working on websites lately to figure out lightroom, but that's wrapping up now. I still have at least one trip report to process from last year too. When's a good time for everyone? Weeknight or weekend?

We can probably setup a google hangout for those wanting to attend from outside of SLC. It would be nice if you have cam/mic hooked up to your computer so we can hear you too.

I live in SLC, Weekend or night is usually ok for me.

I've been too busy working on websites lately to figure out lightroom, but that's wrapping up now. I still have at least one trip report to process from last year too. When's a good time for everyone? Weeknight or weekend?

We can probably setup a google hangout for those wanting to attend from outside of SLC. It would be nice if you have cam/mic hooked up to your computer so we can hear you too.

So Nick are you thinking of doing something like this??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPnTO33ukTA

I bought it recently too. Actually tried to use it for the very first time yesterday. I thought since I have been getting the hang of Bridge/ACR that LR might not be that much of a learning curve. I think I was wrong... :D. The Develop module is fairly familiar, a lot like ACR, but the whole importing/library/catalog, navigation and views etc. are way different. Going to take a little while to get used to it. Whether I stick with it or just go back to Bridge/ACR is very much in question.

- DAA

I bought it recently too. Actually tried to use it for the very first time yesterday. I thought since I have been getting the hang of Bridge/ACR that LR might not be that much of a learning curve. I think I was wrong... :D. The Develop module is fairly familiar, a lot like ACR, but the whole importing/library/catalog, navigation and views etc. are way different. Going to take a little while to get used to it. Whether I stick with it or just go back to Bridge/ACR is very much in question.

- DAA
power through and stick with LR - it will be worth it for sure.

P.S... Another thing, LR 4.3 appears. so far, to be really slow and cumbersome on my Windows 7 (32 bit) Lenovo T520 laptop. Making adjustments in the Develop module is maddeningly slow. I bumped up the cache setting to 20GB and that definitely helped, but it still seemed to gradually get slower and slower as I worked with it. On my Windows 8 (64 bit) desktop, with 16GB of RAM and and SSD, it was nice and fluid though.

The time I spent on that batch of photos yesterday, with my old workflow, they would be completely finished now. Sorted, developed, edited, exported, uploaded, shared - DONE! With LR, I only got them imported and the sort completed and have barely begun to develop the RAW files.

Like I said, very first time using it, more of a learning curve than I expected, no surprise it is taking me a lot longer to get through the first batch of photos. I'm less than thrilled so far and not seeing any advantage over my old workflow, but am going to stick with it a bit and reserve judgement. Maybe once I learn to use it, I'll find it actually speeds up and improves my workflow. As of right now, I doubt it, but, maybe...

- DAA

power through and stick with LR - it will be worth it for sure.

:D You posted while I was typing, I didn't see this before my last reply. I'm really wondering whether it will be worth it at this point, but, planning to give it a fair shake.

- DAA