Learning Lightroom

Nick

-
I've been an Aperture user for many years, but I decided that starting in 2013 I would switch to Lightroom so I could decide once and for all which one is the best. I just took advantage of the Black Friday Lightning Deal to order the software which means it's now time to start learning how to use it (downloading trial now). Does anyone have any recommended places to start for tutorials, etc? Initial feelings are that it will be harder that if I hadn't used Aperture at all because I keep expecting things to be in certain places and work certain ways. It would be cool if there was a 'Aperture to Lightroom' guide.

Hey Nick-I got Scott Kelby's book for Lightroom and have liked it a lot, though that comes with the caveat that I'm one of those people who learns by the "let's see what this does" method first, then reads the directions. There's a lot I still don't know, but the basics of LR are really easy.

Nick, do you have a link for the deal?
You can send me a PM if you like.
I would love to get the Lightroom software and start to post process my pictures for the first time next year.

Edit:

too late, saw the other post with the expired link :(
But if anyone ever stumbles over a great Lightroom deal in the next few weeks, please let me know

Adobe has a bunch on getting to know lightroom that are pretty good.

curious what it lacks, having never used aperture before...

...thanks a lot for website hint, deadeye!
I use Kelby's books in german & Adobe TV. The best thing is receiving tips by an experienced user - IMO.

Gesendet von meinem ViperXed HOX |2.7.1| mit Tapatalk 2

I was hoping lightroom did things that PS does, mostly pano-stitching. I was pretty underwhelmed when I used it as a trial.

What do you all use it for? Cataloging mostly? I'm such a post-processing n00b.

I was hoping lightroom did things that PS does, mostly pano-stitching. I was pretty underwhelmed when I used it as a trial.

I prefer Lightroom because it allows me to edit a bunch of pictures very quickly. This comes in really handy when I'm editing several hundred pictures from a photo shoot or from a trip. I also do all of my timelapse work in Lightroom as well through the slideshow module. There are presets/templates that allow you to make timelapses in 1080p and 720p and at varying fps also. No need for another program. I also really like that the presets in Lightroom are much faster than "actions" in PS. Another thing I really like is the ability to "sync" pictures so that they are processed the same. In this process you edit your first image how you want, highlight all the other images you want to be edited the same and then hit the sync button and choose the attributes you want synced to the other pictures. This really saves a lot of editing time. One last feature that I have been using quite a bit lately is the ability to grab a still shot from video and then edit the still shot all in the same program.

Cataloguing is just a tiny piece of it. Once you get into the workflow, you'll do almost all of your post processing work in Lightroom. And once that happens, you'll wonder how you ever were able to process take a photo without it. It's that good. Really.

Random thought.. I really benefited from having Tim come over and teach me Lightroom basics in person since I'm switching over from Aperture. Maybe sometime this winter we can do some local workshop type of BCP get togethers. Stream a computer onto the big screen and learn some tricks. I'm obviously not a Lightroom expert yet, but I know some folks around here who are. I'd be down to host one in the SLC area.

Random thought.. I really benefited from having Tim come over and teach me Lightroom basics in person since I'm switching over from Aperture. Maybe sometime this winter we can do some local workshop type of BCP get togethers. Stream a computer onto the big screen and learn some tricks. I'm obviously not a Lightroom expert yet, but I know some folks around here who are. I'd be down to host one in the SLC area.

I like it. Lightroom, Photoshop, peoples favorite plug-ins, the whole shebang. I'd love to share the luminosity masks that I've been using in PS, I think folks would really dig them.

I'm in, even though an Aperture junky. I still will learn by watching the masters.......